Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 12:42 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Well In fairness I've had one I know that googled my name for a joke and found nothing ....Which am a liar or a complete loser?

Some people don't have to broadcast their life on social media or actually have a criminal record to boast about
They Googled James Bond and they didn't find ANYTHING??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 12:57 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
They Googled James Bond and they didn't find ANYTHING??

Ahhhhhhhh silly me ...... The golden age of espionage... I'd have to kill her if she found something!!!

Either that or she's dyslectic and spelled it wrong! ROLMFAO!

Old 12-18-2016, 01:39 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Well In fairness I've had one I know that googled my name for a joke and found nothing ....Which am a liar or a complete loser?

Some people don't have to broadcast their life on social media or actually have a criminal record to boast about

I def agree with the bolded. However, most of us still have a lil something on the web these days.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:43 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
I def agree with the bolded. However, most of us still have a lil something on the web these days.
So the ones that don't?

For example I deleted my FB account years ago, Don't do online dating and CD is the full extent of my social media...... It's rare I know and especially for an official extrovert lol but what would your opinion be on that?

Old 12-18-2016, 01:45 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,795 times
Google and Facebook are dangerous places and here is my list: 1) I found out about a high-school flame's death, 2) a former SOs marriage / pregnancy announcement, 3) and others sharing with me former classmates or colleagues with a criminal history.

I'm careful of overexposure to information. I'm not sure if it was meant for me to know everything. Ignorance can be bliss.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:38 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
What are some of the worst things I found out about someone when I Googled them?

1) That his e-mail address showed up in the Ashley Madison hack.

2) That he had an existing girlfriend when he asked me to meet him on a beach getaway.

3) That he proceeded to get engaged and move in with said girlfriend without once mentioning it, even though we had conversations after the fact.

Me, upon finding out =

Why wouldn't a man grasp that when he moves in with a lady who's on Facebook and Pinterest, and her offspring who just love to make YouTube videos, that it's like living in a fishbowl?

This was an old high school boyfriend that I reconnected with. I thought he was a great man. Thank God I never managed to go on that vacation with him. I think he was daydreaming in Memory Lane and just panicked before getting engaged.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:26 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,986 times
His profile on a casual sex website on which he said: Looking for pleasurable moments, no string attached.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:18 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I have to wonder what this means. Do all gay men act a certain way that straight men don't act like?

This isn't a romantic situation, but I once found out a person I had hung out with on several occasions in a group was on the sex offender registry for lewd behavior with a minor.
Those two questions / situations don't necessarily relate to each other.

My gaydar is pretty finely tuned, so I'm about 95% right on that, but a sex offender is a whole 'nother breed of cat. Offenders hide their activities very well.

The way to tell a gay man from a straight one? If you are female and you encounter a straight male, he will size you up visually in a nanosecond before the conscious mind even registers it. That behavior is absent in gay males.

Last edited by NLVgal; 12-25-2016 at 11:13 PM..

Old 12-27-2016, 02:30 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
I knew a woman who, 9 years after I knew her (and I let her stay with me in my apartment for 3-4 days, with us sleeping separately), I found out via a Google search that she was murdered and dismembered by serial killer Joel Rifkin (who is said to be the most prolific serial killer in New York State history to-date and she has been said to be his first or likely-first murder victim, with him killing at least 17 women that they know of over a four-year span). 26 years after I knew her (i.e., during 2006, with my last being with her in 1980), I’d learned on the web that she was reported as "missing" from years earlier (in 1995) but then it wasn't until 7 years after I learned that she had been reported as "missing" during a Google search I’d done in mid-2006 (“7 years after” would mean in 2013) that I was informed during this June 2013 Google search that various body parts that had been found 24 years earlier (in 1989) were finally identified by DNA as belonging to her. So 33 years (26 years + 7 years) after I had known her and was with her personally in 1980, it was learned by myself via a Google search that, in April 2013, the remains of a human head and some body limbs that were found 24 years earlier (in 1989) were finally identified by DNA as being hers and they could finally put a name to the earlier-found bodily remains.

If you still DO want to read more fleshed-out details about her life and circumstances and her later murder, read on . . . or otherwise you can quit here (if it's too much for you to read):

As stated earlier, she had stayed with me in my apartment for a few days (3 or 4 days, if I recall correctly) when I lived in Manhattan (in New York City, NY, USA) during 1980. I’d met her while she was working as a waitress for a restaurant chain based in Manhattan and her housing situation was variably transient or homeless (or so she said). I had offered her to stay with me in my one-bedroom Manhattan apartment until she could arrange some other viable situation or to get her life together. She said she'd think about it and then, the next day, she came to me and said she wound up walking the streets of Manhattan all night and asked me if she could take up my offer. She stayed for 3-4 days with me in my apartment (I slept in my bedroom and she slept on my living room sofabed/couch) and then she just split of her own accord (saying she found other people to stay with in the Greenwich Village section of Manhattan, New York City or somewhere else but wouldn't or couldn't supply me a phone number). I wished her the best and we parted.

Years later in 2006 (26 years after I’d last been with her in 1980), I decided to type her name into Google (I was curious as to what ever became of her) and it immediately came up with a “Missing Person” report from the NYPD (New York City Police Department) and showed a photograph of her face. I recognized her and, of course, her name was attached to the supplied photograph . . . so it was definitely her. It said she hadn't been seen since 1995 (15 years after we were last together in 1980). And every so often since the first Google search for her that I did in mid-2006, I would type her name into Google here-and-there over the years to check if any progress was made on learning of her whereabouts or her outcome.

Then in June 2013 (7 years after my first Google search for her which I did in mid-2006), I once again typed in her name into Google and it came up with her name and photograph but this time was accompanied by the larger letters "Found" or "Solved". I was obviously taken by this and I read further into it. It turned out that, in April 2013 (two months earlier), the New Jersey State Police and local New Jersey police (in cooperation with other law enforcement authorities in New York State and perhaps the FBI) finally positively identified a decapitated head that had been found in a south New Jersey golf course in 1989 (stuffed into a paint can) as being that of this woman. Serial killer Joel Rifkin had picked her up as a street-walking prostitute in the East Village section of Manhattan, New York City, NY and taken her back to his mother's home in East Meadow (in Nassau County, Long Island, NY). Reportedly after some "listless sex" (a description used by the web article), he murdered her there and then took her body apart (first removing all her teeth and then taking off all her fingertips). He then removed her head and stuffed it into a paint can and left said paint can in the woods of a Southern New Jersey golf course. And he’d placed her legs somewhere in the wilds of Northern New Jersey (they were found shortly after the head being found in Southern New Jersey and matched to the head by DNA) and placed her remaining torso in the East River surrounding New York City (which I think I read have never been recovered, unless I am mistaken).

It said that she had become a drug-addicted prostitute and her head (or what remained of her head) was found by investigators to be infected with AIDS . . . so, in my view, if she didn't die of being murdered by serial killer Joel Rifkin or by someone else, she would have likely otherwise died of her AIDS or from all the drugs she used. It was reported that when Joel Rifkin learned about her head having been found to have AIDS from news reports (with her head having been found a day or two after he left it in a paint can in the woods of that Southern New Jersey golf course . . . and her legs as well being found around the same time in Northern New Jersey), he was said to be infuriated (concerned that he got AIDS from her).

So I had finally learned what had become of this woman I'd known and been with in 1980. She had incorrectly been reported by her New York City-based aunt as being missing since New York City in 1995 . . . but she had actually been earlier murdered in 1989 by serial killer Joel Rifkin. Based on the reports, she was said to have died (being murdered) in 1989 at age 25 . . . so this would have made her age 16 when I knew her in 1980. I didn't know she was 16 when I knew her in 1980 (9 years prior to her reported 1989 death); I thought she was 18 or 19 (or maybe even 20) at the time I knew her.

ABOUT HER: Back when I knew her, she was a rather charming, bright, effusive young woman who impressed me (with myself being age 25 or 26 at the time) as someone who would or could make something meritorious of her life (being rather mature and bright for her rather young age). She also, by the way, happened to be a very very beautiful woman look-wise and everyone noticed and was taken by her beauty (both men and women). In fact, she was enchantingly beautiful with such a beautiful smile and a beautiful face and hair. And for the relatively short time of perhaps a month or so that I knew her, I’d seen a portfolio she possessed containing many plastic sleeves holding modeling photographs of her and perhaps had aspirations to be a model (or at least had thought that this could be a way to earn income . . . whether or not it was to be her desired career long-term or not). She was something to behold (visually). I looked through her portfolio and commented to her that "you'll have no problem whatsoever getting modeling work with your great beauty" or words to that effect. She responded that agencies that hire models tend to want models who are very slim (even anorexic) and lanky and she was rather more short and more filled out than slim and lanky . . . though EVERY man who saw her was taken and captivated by her beauty. But women also noticed her. Even a female hostess or maitre'd at one of the restaurant locations she worked at across from Penn Station (Manhattan) said to her "What a beautiful face you have!!!", to which she responded "Well, if this job doesn't work out, I can always live off of my pretty face!" and she laughed and smiled at her comment (I was there to hear and see all of this).

Oh well, what more can be said by myself? I feel very sad for her and wish she could have had a better life and a better life outcome than this. She deserved better.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:07 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I knew a woman who, 9 years after I knew her (and I let her stay with me in my apartment for 3-4 days, with us sleeping separately), I found out via a Google search ....

Oh well, what more can be said by myself? I feel very sad for her and wish she could have had a better life and a better life outcome than this. She deserved better.
Thanks for sharing your story and I'm sorry to hear that happened, especially someone you knew.

I did read the whole thing BTW. I'm somewhat captivated reading and watching mysteries such as these. I guess learning about the victims, the offenders, and the whole process that goes into solving the mysteries is intriguing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships