Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:25 AM

332 posts, read 294,446 times

Advertisements

Within the past 2 years, I've gone through 2 serious relationships. They were both exhausting to say the least but I really fell head over heels for the both of them (not at the same time of course lol.) It begs the question - how do I know when the right one will come along if I fall in love so easily it seems? Does it feel different compared to past relationships?

If I'm in a relationship, I'm fully devoted and put effort in to make it work. I've been single for about 7 months now and it's somewhat liberating to just do my own thing. I still go on a date here and there when I have time, but that's just me trying to keep my social life somewhat alive on top of work/school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 05:29 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
I'm too old to give advice you'd relate too.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:22 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
You gradually learn if someone is right after what should be a long time successfully dating. If it's always a struggle and drama, then you're probably not with the right person.

Most relationships start out great. You're looking for one where you grow closer over time, not where you're always banging your head against a wall.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:58 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
Within the past 2 years, I've gone through 2 serious relationships. They were both exhausting to say the least but I really fell head over heels for the both of them (not at the same time of course lol.) It begs the question - how do I know when the right one will come along if I fall in love so easily it seems? Does it feel different compared to past relationships?

If I'm in a relationship, I'm fully devoted and put effort in to make it work. I've been single for about 7 months now and it's somewhat liberating to just do my own thing. I still go on a date here and there when I have time, but that's just me trying to keep my social life somewhat alive on top of work/school.
You don't. There is no "one" so to speak. Now there are people that you are more compatible with, but trust me, you'd be glad that there is no "one". As crazy as life is. You meet this "one" and you lose that person for good, sad ending...

Old 01-02-2017, 08:59 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
It feels effortless.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:06 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times
I only had that feeling once and it was with my current boyfriend. The best way I can describe it is we just clicked on so many levels and I felt like I'd known him my whole life. You know how on a lot of beginning dates you feel like you have to present your best self and be on your toes? From day one I felt like I could be my real and somewhat quirky self with him and he felt the same towards me. For example, he's the first man I told that I still play D20 games (think dungeons and dragons) with on the first date and not feel like it was weird. If I believed in reincarnation, I'd say we were together in a past life we feel that close.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:57 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Default How do you know when someone is "the one"?

You just do. There's no 'splainin' it. Hopefully, you turn out to be right. Really getting to know them first helps.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:04 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
There's a deep intuitive knowing.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:24 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It feels effortless.
Yep. It feels and is effortless. Very in sync, compatible on all levels, deep, intimate connection, etc.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:33 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, if you're working and going to school at the same time, how on earth did you have time for an "exhausting" relationship? Focus on school, and forget about relationships until you're done with school.

And yeah, you know you've found a workable "one" when it's not exhausting; rather--it's joyful. It sounds like you were with the wrong guys. Now that you're alone and are enjoying your solitude, consider doing some reflecting to figure out why you chose those guys, instead of maybe waiting for someone more compatible that didn't require "work" to make it work in just the first year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships