Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:56 AM

672 posts, read 2,124,910 times

Advertisements

I ask this because I sometimes hear guys say stuff like: Look at that ol' skank they hired over in this or that dept. Or just a couple of girls walking down the street, and some guys will say, there goes a couple of skanks. And, they might not even know these girls! We all know the meaning behind calling some woman a *****, or a sl*t, and so forth, but here is my question: In your own opinion, WHAT is the true definition of a skank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:03 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Tonya Harding.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
promiscuous
guys can be skanks too but they are usually called "horn dogs"

Old 02-29-2008, 09:13 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
A skank usually refers to a woman who is a rather promiscuous, lacks class, and has a low degree of intelligence. The term is usually used on poorer women but can also apply to rich women (Paris Hilton, Britney Spears).

Old 02-29-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
promiscuous
guys can be skanks too but they are usually called "horn dogs"
Out on this side of the country (West), the use of the word seems to have expanded. One thing I've noticed is that neighborhoods can be called "skanky" -- pretty much like the equivalent of "trailer-trashy." However, this has given way to the GenY term that "it's real ghetto," which I find funny as well. The first time I heard the latter is when a guy was telling me that he had been mugged in a school parking lot while going to law school at UNLV -- his reaction, "yeah, it's pretty 'ghetto' around there."

I love the word "horn dog." It's hilarious and it should never go out of style. Is "horn dog" an all-50-states kind of expression or is it regional?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 AM

672 posts, read 2,124,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
A skank usually refers to a woman who is a rather promiscuous, lacks class, and has a low degree of intelligence. The term is usually used on poorer women but can also apply to rich women (Paris Hilton, Britney Spears).
Well, I can appreciate your opinion, and I do agree with it. But, some guys will use this term to describe a woman they don't know, and in many cases, have not even met. They act like they can just LOOK at a woman, and know shes a skank. Do they have a certain look about them or something? A true wh*re uaually tends to dress that way. It's not a big deal to me, but this kind of stuff just makes me wonder.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
I ask this because I sometimes hear guys say stuff like: Look at that ol' skank they hired over in this or that dept. Or just a couple of girls walking down the street, and some guys will say, there goes a couple of skanks. And, they might not even know these girls! We all know the meaning behind calling some woman a *****, or a sl*t, and so forth, but here is my question: In your own opinion, WHAT is the true definition of a skank?
A woman who sleeps with other men but won't sleep with you.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:46 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Urbandictionary is useful for these sorts of questions. The most popular definition is:

Skank - Derogatory term for a (usually younger) female, implying trashiness or tackiness, lower-class status, poor hygiene, flakiness, and a scrawny, pockmarked sort of ugliness. May also imply promiscuity, but not necessarily. Can apply to any race, but most commonly used to describe white trash.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Skank - Derogatory term for a (usually younger) female, implying trashiness or tackiness, lower-class status, poor hygiene, flakiness, and a scrawny, pockmarked sort of ugliness. May also imply promiscuity, but not necessarily. Can apply to any race, but most commonly used to describe white trash.
Thank you! In fact, the way that I thought, they make promiscuity a secondary characteristic which need not be present.

Right...to me it's always been about classlessness and an unkempt appearance.

I've also heard it used to described guys -- you know, "a skanky dude" because of their lack of couth and nasty appearance.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 AM

250 posts, read 937,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
A woman who sleeps with other men but won't sleep with you.
Ouch. That one left a mark!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships