Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 02:19 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,144,809 times

Advertisements

I am constantly told I look much younger than I am, usually in my early thirties on a good day. It's good, at my age (46, just turned) to hear that as a divorced person. It makes it strange however because most of the men I've met at 46, look much older....going out I tend to attract younger guys....such problems, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 02:54 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
I am 68 and my hair hasn't fallen out and is just about the same color it's always been, and my skin has not yet wrinkled or sagged, but I sometimes walk with a cane so that immediately negates my "youthful" appearance.

However, somebody wrote me a message saying that they didn't believe I was 68 because my writing style on these forums was of a much younger person.

I thought that was pretty neat and started to think of myself as a hip old geezer, until I realized that maybe I was regressing and before long would probably be posting in baby talk.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:00 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,226,618 times
I am told often that I look much younger than I am. In fact whenever I say I have a 19 year old son and 15 year old daughter the look is disbelief followed by the questions how old are you LOL. I say 38 and often get the no way.

I don't believe this has affected me in how people treat me or relate to me. I guess because while I look a lot younger than my age, I carry myself appropriately for my age.

Odd things that do happen though and some I find really funny would be...

I get carded for cigarettes all the time

I go out with my kids and they call me mom and we get the looks and questions

I've been stopped at my kid's high school with or with out them with me and asked "young lady where are you going" when they see I am a mom they laugh and apologize saying they thought I was a student.

And one of my favorite was when my son about lost it one day. We had to go to his technical school for something and he then invited me to lunch at their cafeteria. While there one of the cafeteria ladies that adores my son asked him if I was his girlfriend. He lost it laughing and said "no this is my mom". She turned beet red and then laughed along with my son and I. It was priceless.

It feels good to look younger than my age and I really gotta thank my mom and grandmother for their great gene's because both of them too look at least 15 years younger than they are.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I am 68 and my hair hasn't fallen out and is just about the same color it's always been, and my skin has not yet wrinkled or sagged, but I sometimes walk with a cane so that immediately negates my "youthful" appearance.

However, somebody wrote me a message saying that they didn't believe I was 68 because my writing style on these forums was of a much younger person.

I thought that was pretty neat and started to think of myself as a hip old geezer, until I realized that maybe I was regressing and before long would probably be posting in baby talk.
At first I was gonna say I'd never think you're 68, either. On second thought, though, considering what I hear from the young'uns... apparently they don't make them as they used to anymore... Most guys I seem to relate to on the forums are over 50. It might be because I've always been gerontophile , but I'd attribute it more to definitely not relating to mainstream Americans of my generation for the most part. In other words, long live hip ol' geezers!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:55 AM

34 posts, read 166,208 times
I hated my baby face when I was younger. But the first time I didn't get carded (at 35) I almost ran to the bathroom to have a good cry.
I'm 40 years old and look about 25 or so I'm told. And still it seems weird to me that people freak when they learn my age. You'ld think the fact I don't dress like a hoochie or act like some kid would give me away. I wonder how people don't get that I'm stuck in the 80's they don't pick up on my musical taste or the way I speak or the events and literature I make reffrances to....
I've had people who have know me for years absolutly loose it when they learn how old I am.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:05 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandrah View Post
I hated my baby face when I was younger. But the first time I didn't get carded (at 35) I almost ran to the bathroom to have a good cry.
I'm 40 years old and look about 25 or so I'm told. And still it seems weird to me that people freak when they learn my age. You'ld think the fact I don't dress like a hoochie or act like some kid would give me away. I wonder how people don't get that I'm stuck in the 80's they don't pick up on my musical taste or the way I speak or the events and literature I make reffrances to....
I've had people who have know me for years absolutly loose it when they learn how old I am.
So, like you are totally spazzin' out to the B-52's and Depeche Mode then? Like, Oh my God, like totally!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 AM

604 posts, read 1,186,516 times
I get the underestimation of age sometimes, but I hardly ever get carded anymore. The one game I think I could win at the fair is the guess your age or weight game. But I'd go with weight. Hardly anyone ever comes close.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 PM

223 posts, read 1,003,883 times
Yeah, it's really annoying when I go to the store and buy whiteout or sharpies and they card me! C'mon! I am 31 years old, not a 16 year old looking to get high on sniffing! Yeah, picture the person behind me chuckling under their breath! And this is me walking out with an embarrassing look upon my face. As for beer and liquor, I have my license out prior to them even asking for it. Haven't ever been able to buy w/o showing. Guess in another 10 years when I'm 40 and look 25 I'll be happy!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:07 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,737,487 times
It was annoying when I went to the local to get a 6-pack...but I guess it's complimentary when the barmaid asks me for 2 forms of id, then says, "Oh, you look too young to buy beer!"

Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I am constantly told I look much younger than I am, usually in my early thirties on a good day. It's good, at my age (46, just turned) to hear that as a divorced person. It makes it strange however because most of the men I've met at 46, look much older....going out I tend to attract younger guys....such problems, eh?
Me too! But I'm 49.... and my boyfriend is 26. In the mornings, my boyfriend says that with the indirect light that comes in through our west facing bedroom window, I look like a teenager. Now if I could only invent a light bulb that could reproduce this effect... I could be a billionaire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships