Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:35 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times

Advertisements

I agree, I typically leave over 15% if the service is good, 15% if the service is average, and I'm not sure how much if it is bad service, I honestly have not had that happen in a very long time! I don't frequent buffets so, I've never had that problem. But with ordering drinks at a bar (which I really don't do that too often either) I usually leave a dollar and the change per drink, which is more than 10% usually, say I order a $8.50 glass of wine at the bar and give them a 10, I would leave the rest as a tip. Personally, I think a dollar or 10% is enough for just drinks.
My husband is very fair when it comes to tipping, but my bioligical family is a different story. We are originally from Eastern Europe, and they still tip the way they used to there, well maybe a bit better. The server is lucky to get 10%! My family is not stingy, its just they are set in their ways. So normally my husband and I slip the server some extra cash, or leave it on the table, when no one is looking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 06:53 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I guess this is "relationship" oriented in that, for 45 minutes, you and your server are relating to each other.

Ok, I know the standard is 15 % for good service. It can be higher if the service was exceptional.

However, when a person goes to a brunch or a buffet where you serve yourself and your server only brings you drinks, how much should one tip?
I've always tipped 10 % under this scenario. It seems reasonable, given that they didn't go to the kitchen and handle any entree plates or create a dessert.

Your input, please?
We tip between 16%-20% depending on the type of restaurant. Fine dining is always 20%. Seems the buffet mentality is eat the most and pay the least. We always leave a good tip there too. We like the server to know we appreciate their service.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:54 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
T.I.P.S. = To Insure Proper Service
T.I.P.- To insure promptness.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:30 AM

397 posts, read 1,025,895 times
I thought I would give a slightly different perspective on this. I am originally from Germany, although I have been in the US many years. The tipping system here has always fascinated me, in the sense that so many people tip even if they received fairly poor service.

The tipping system in the US is of course a way for restaurant owners to pay their employees poor wages and shift the burden of their wages onto the public. Being here in the US, and knowing how little they get paid, I usually tip 15% IF I received good service. However, if they do not give good service, the tip goes down, potentially to zero. As one poster pointed out, some problems are not the server's fault and I never reduce the tip for that. Reducing the tip for me mostly happens when a server is rude, completely inattentive etc.

For me, it is ridiculous that some posters here still tip 20% if the service was bad. If one does that, it takes away even the marginal benefits of the tipping system in the US - better service.

Incidentally, many places function great WITHOUT a tipping system. Australia has eliminated tipping altogether, and many restaurant managers specifically request the public NOT to tip, since they do not want that culture spreading there. They pay their employees very decent wages (I did some research because I could not believe it), and in my experience at several restaurants over several trips, the service was excellent!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
A sidebar here. I waited tables for a couple of years working my way through college. And I really don't understand the culture of entitlement among servers today who feel that anything below 20% is an insult. Hey, bust it, pay careful attention to when your tables need service, and provide expert guidance on the menu, and then you deserve 20%. Fetching food and drinks merits you 15%.

15% if the service is average.

20% if the service is really good and contributes to the dining experience.

25% if the service borders on telepathic or makes the evening extraordinary.

A side note to Gretchen--Actually, most waiters worth their salt prefer working for tips. It's not exploitive at all. Rather it's a way for you to earn money far beyond what you would make on an hourly wage. When I waited tables in the 80s, I could typically haul in $100 a night in cash, far better than if I were earning $10 an hour at some other job. So I really don't feel sorry for servers working for tips. If you do a conscientious job of it, you can really make good money.

And somebody PLEASE explain to me how tip jars have begun appearing in coffee shops, hot dog stands, etc. I am not going to tip you for walking 2 feet to the coffee urn and pouring me a cup of joe.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:52 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,830,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
T.I.P.- To insure promptness.
T.I.P- To Inspire Perfection?

We don't do buffets or fine dining, so 15-20% is the norm for us.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:09 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
When I see what people who work in restaurants and so on have to do for a living, I think they are so underpaid plus they take crap for things that are not their fault all the time. People go there with the worst attitudes and expect the best service. Some allow their kids to distroy the place. I always try to tip way over the 15-20%, call me silly....but I'm not used to someone getting me my drink or my dinner...LOL

Old 03-01-2008, 10:36 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
If the service and attitude was good, they get 20%, maybe even more.
If the service and attitude were unacceptable, they get a dollar and if I pay the waiter and he/she asks if I want change back, they receive one of my nasty looks.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:40 AM

775 posts, read 579,070 times
I believe 20% is the going rate in restaurants now for decent service. If I have a really attentive waiter, I will tip more! Big for me is having my glass refilled without my having to call the waiter. If I have to wait longer than usual, the tip will be less even though it may be the cook's fault; however, I have found that not to be the case as the food usually is luke warm when I get it from sitting out too long.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:53 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
I guess this is "relationship" oriented in that, for 45 minutes, you and your server are relating to each other.

Ok, I know the standard is 15 % for good service. It can be higher if the service was exceptional.

However, when a person goes to a brunch or a buffet where you serve yourself and your server only brings you drinks, how much should one tip?
I've always tipped 10 % under this scenario. It seems reasonable, given that they didn't go to the kitchen and handle any entree plates or create a dessert.

Your input, please?
I've waitressed many times during my life...and if the establishment is busy...you still run, when you work buffets, actually, faster, b/c you have to get them drinks, coffee, and make sure when they get up to go back to the buffett, their plates are gone.

Since I was a waitress, it doesn't matter what or where or when I eat, I over tip, because those gals work very very hard, and depend on their tips for a living. And no, 10% isn't reasonable...and I have said this before, if you can't afford to tip or your going to nickle and dime your waitress, then you shouldn't go out to eat...it's very cheap and unthinking....

I usually tip 20% or more, and some people look at me like I'm nuts....and I say to them...if your not going to give your waitress a good tip, then you shouldn't be eating out....I went with a bunch of women once, to New York, and one women, didn't even tip the waiter...I took the bill, and left what I thought was appropriate..and never went along with those women again...it's cheap and lacks manners, not to mention, is very embarrassing.

and that is what a lot of waitresses think.

Its the same with hairdressers....they work very hard and they should be tipped appropriately.

Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships