Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:15 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times

Advertisements

That's like telling someone they will only ever be a substitution to the real thing.

It may not be the case in reality, but it defiantly and profoundly shows where their mind is at in this moment in time. If you are the one looking to stir up a romance with them, I would proceed cautiously.

It screams "not ready"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 08:24 PM

352 posts, read 234,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
I'm talking to this guy I have a great connection with. He then talks about his ex gf who passed away. He said she was "the one". Not exactly sure how I should feel.

Haven't read all the responses......but IMO this dude needs more time of his own. Not yours as far as "bought in".....

Of course a deceased ex is a very-very-VERY sensitive issue. Having attended the immediate death of a lot of folks over the course of the line of work........let me tell you that the ties are unexplainable.

So.....if it hasn't been covered....tread lightly..... but hopefully as a friend.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:04 AM

332 posts, read 294,651 times
I brought it up and asked him to be honest if he was over his ex and were ready to date again. He laughed and said "of course". He said he really likes me and has never felt this way before. I think I have my answer, but my guards are definitely up.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
In thinking about it in terms of a conversation about his past, I can see where it could just be an honest description of his feelings for her, as in, "Well, I had one pretty serious relationship where we dated for a couple of years. She was 'the one,' but she passed away."

Now that you've asked him about it, it doesn't sound like he meant it as, "She was the one ... period," but just that he thought she was the one back then and now he is willing to go out and find the NEXT one.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In thinking about it in terms of a conversation about his past, I can see where it could just be an honest description of his feelings for her, as in, "Well, I had one pretty serious relationship where we dated for a couple of years. She was 'the one,' but she passed away."

Now that you've asked him about it, it doesn't sound like he meant it as, "She was the one ... period," but just that he thought she was the one back then and now he is willing to go out and find the NEXT one.
I sure hope that's what he meant! It's too early to tell if this will go anywhere, but for now, I'm really diggin' this guy. He's unlike other guys I've dated... in a really good way that's almost questionable. Lol.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:49 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
He's unlike other guys I've dated... in a really good way that's almost questionable. Lol.
I know THAT feeling LOL, like, "OK, what is wrong with you ?"

Old 01-17-2017, 05:51 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
I brought it up and asked him to be honest if he was over his ex and were ready to date again. He laughed and said "of course". He said he really likes me and has never felt this way before. I think I have my answer, but my guards are definitely up.
After 2 dates?????????

Just. No.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I know THAT feeling LOL, like, "OK, what is wrong with you ?"
LOL, I'm definitely being cautious because I know I'm currently in that honey moon phase where everything is rainbows and unicorns. But seriously, I have yet to find a flaw in this guy.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:14 PM

574 posts, read 377,129 times
When we lose someone we love to untimely passing, that person can become something you will not be able to compete with. Are there shrines to her? Such as multiple photos or belongings in the house still? It takes time for people who have lost someone to come to terms with their reality. Their life however loving and perfect with that person is over. It died with them. Regardless of what they feel or want, they have a new life now. It is up to them when they accept it and try to make something of it. The ghost will always be there. Eventually the memories will bring moments of joy and reflection and not tears.

You will need to have a lot of patience if you chose to stay. And you will need to make him talk about this in a brutally honest way. Tell him you don't want to spend your life being just a comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships