Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 03:17 PM

574 posts, read 377,358 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many people who put that in a personal ad have actually ever done a lot of walking on the beach?

My wife and I had many hours walking on the beach. We were wearing chest waders. And carried clam guns as we were hunting down our dinner. In a way it was romantic as we were doing together something we enjoyed.

Here is the deal about the beaches here on the west coast of Washington. If you walk in the soft sand, you will fill your shoes and it tires you out quickly. If you walk in the hard sand, you have to be aware of all of the 4 by 4's cruising the beach. Its not all that safe. Stay on the board walks. And the thing most people forget until it hits them in the face is the wind. It is cold and blows most of the year. And it rains sideways.

Only a few months in summer make it even worth the effort. How about you take a walk on the beach and get that out of your system while I sit in the truck with the heater on.

Walks on the beach is entirely over rated as far as I am concerned. Now a romantic walk and talk along the waterfront or on a trail is much more appealing. And if the weather sucks, how about a mall?

Another one that gets me is "loves to laugh" really? I can't remember anyone who did not like laughing except someone who was pouting and was trying to stay mad about something.

And of course I am a "real woman" or a "real man". As opposed to what? I am actually not a real person?

I read both the men's and women's ads. Unfortunately I will have to go this route someday.
I get a kick out of the ads with a long list of requirements. Let me see, check, check, nope, check, nope. I guess I can't answer that one.

Women will list what they want pertaining to financial status, marital status, like that should even be necessary, height, education, and so on.

Men sound like they are placing an order. "I'll have the submissive sex kitten with a side of nymphomaniac and for desert I will have the threesome with her poly girlfriend. Who answers those ads?

I didn't want to be in this position. But I don't like being alone.
So what do I write?
I want someone who looks like my wife did, who acts like my wife did, but don't worry, I won't compare you or bring her up when you don't match up?
I think my best features are the bags around my eyes and the stress that shows in my facial expressions.

I think I have a ways to go before I am ready for this. I will keep reading and keep my sense of humor about this as long as I can.

So what have you read in the personal ads that you find humorous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 03:39 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
I wonder how many people who put that in a personal ad have actually ever done a lot of walking on the beach?

My wife and I had many hours walking on the beach. We were wearing chest waders. And carried clam guns as we were hunting down our dinner. In a way it was romantic as we were doing together something we enjoyed.

Here is the deal about the beaches here on the west coast of Washington. If you walk in the soft sand, you will fill your shoes and it tires you out quickly. If you walk in the hard sand, you have to be aware of all of the 4 by 4's cruising the beach. Its not all that safe. Stay on the board walks. And the thing most people forget until it hits them in the face is the wind. It is cold and blows most of the year. And it rains sideways.

Only a few months in summer make it even worth the effort. How about you take a walk on the beach and get that out of your system while I sit in the truck with the heater on.

Walks on the beach is entirely over rated as far as I am concerned. Now a romantic walk and talk along the waterfront or on a trail is much more appealing. And if the weather sucks, how about a mall?

Another one that gets me is "loves to laugh" really? I can't remember anyone who did not like laughing except someone who was pouting and was trying to stay mad about something.

And of course I am a "real woman" or a "real man". As opposed to what? I am actually not a real person?

I read both the men's and women's ads. Unfortunately I will have to go this route someday.
I get a kick out of the ads with a long list of requirements. Let me see, check, check, nope, check, nope. I guess I can't answer that one.

Women will list what they want pertaining to financial status, marital status, like that should even be necessary, height, education, and so on.

Men sound like they are placing an order. "I'll have the submissive sex kitten with a side of nymphomaniac and for desert I will have the threesome with her poly girlfriend. Who answers those ads?

I didn't want to be in this position. But I don't like being alone.
So what do I write?
I want someone who looks like my wife did, who acts like my wife did, but don't worry, I won't compare you or bring her up when you don't match up?
I think my best features are the bags around my eyes and the stress that shows in my facial expressions.

I think I have a ways to go before I am ready for this. I will keep reading and keep my sense of humor about this as long as I can.

you are married and reading men's and women's ads?

Okay.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:44 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,993 times
Quote:
1. My kids always come first.
Translation: Scheduling a simple 1-hour coffee date with me will be like pulling teeth.

2. I want a man, not a boy.
Translation: I want someone who will give me a lavish lifestyle and put up with my unpleasantness.

3. If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best.
Translation: Brace yourself for ongoing abuse.

4. Must be god-fearing. (while the ad shows bikini pictures and mentions "experimenting" in college)
Translation:

5. "By existing, we evolve." (or some other New Age quote)
Translation: I'm not as creative as the quote suggests.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
OP is recently widowed.

Hey, walks on the beach are better than "pina coladas and getting caught in the rain!"

Old 02-01-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
you are married and reading men's and women's ads?

Okay.
No, I am recently widowed. Miserable but trying to keep a sense of humor about it.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:50 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
I really lost interest in any profile that was a cliche. Like walks on the beach and love to laugh.

What made me laugh? The guy who wanted to discuss oral sex before we had exchanged names, young guys who sent messages in "text speak", the guy who railed against women letting themselves go.... when asked an example "women who take off their heels at lunch downtown to walk around in tennies".

You have to meet people for who they are, not how they are like or not like your late wife. Please don't date until you can do that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-01-2017, 03:58 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
No, I am recently widowed. Miserable but trying to keep a sense of humor about it.
I am sorry for your loss.

Regarding the ads - if you are overly critical, you might look for a very long time.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am sorry for your loss.

Regarding the ads - if you are overly critical, you might look for a very long time.
Thanks, I might be overly critical, maybe not. The post is for humor. I am looking at the ads to get an understanding of what I am up against. At this point, moving off grid to Alaska and studying the effect of mosquitoes on wildlife might be more appealing.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,720 times
I actually do like walks on the beach! But I never put it in a profile. I like to take my dog off leash and let her run in water and such. She's fun to watch. Now I take my shoes off and walk barefoot on the beach. Solves the problem of sand in shoes. I'll tell you, a few mikes walking on sand is a good workout for your legs--but it doesn't feel like a workout when doing it, but you feel it later. No 4x4s on the beach where I am, but sometimes there are surf fishing people and you have to make sure you don't walk between their lines and the water. I got my boyfriend enjoying these walks too.

To answer the question, I never found cliche stuff funny. I always got a kick out of plays on words in profiles or jokes. Think my boyfriend's said something like he was no Hugh Jackman, but he was considering a life sized Hugh Jackman tattoo over his whole body. I thought that was funny and the humor is part of the reason I messaged him.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:13 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,453,188 times
I agree about the beaches on the left coast. I, for one, do NOT enjoy long walks on the beach for the exact reasons you describe.

Not to be harsh, but as someone who was also widowed, albeit not recently, I definitely understand not wanting to be alone, but I wonder if you are really ready to start dating again if you are wanting someone who looks and acts just like your late wife? I say that in part due to having recently been in a position of someone who was widowed a lot more recently than I wanting to me fulfill a role I couldn't, that raises a red flag for me - basically, wanting to just drop me into the hole his late wife left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships