Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 08:33 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,197,978 times

Advertisements

You can call your friends, family, and close associates anything you want - that they are comfortable with. But if you are speaking in public, of the general public, it would be best to call a woman a woman and a girl a girl.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-26-2017 at 09:11 AM..

Old 03-26-2017, 12:16 PM

18,162 posts, read 15,684,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Abyss View Post
I am curious about something. I understand that strictly speaking a female that is not an adult are referred to as a girl whereas an adult female is referred to as a woman. Yet there seems to be quite a bit of over lap. Even if they are adult females if a bunch of them go out it's called a "girls night out" for example, or if they are collectively into something they can be referred to as "the x girls" heck, even when they are much older you have shows such as "the golden girls" etc etc. Even other adult females view such differently.

What is your take?

Ahh yes. Well, context is key here. My lady and I refer to each other by "boy" or "girl" in certain ways. If I do something exceptionally pleasing she may say "attaboy" and in the reverse I might say "that's my girl". When used as terms of endearment it's all good. There's a million different ways to use these terms as such.

It's when they are used in an insulting context, meant to demean maturity level and such, that it's inappropriate to use them. In that context they can be seriously wounding and belittling. Anyway, that's pretty much the long and short of it.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:13 PM

247 posts, read 198,975 times
Hearing men refer to women as 'females' usually makes me cringe. Especially in a certain context it is used to demean and just sounds unintelligent. I am fine being called woman, lady, miss, even girl before being called a female.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:59 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,807,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCan View Post
Hearing men refer to women as 'females' usually makes me cringe. Especially in a certain context it is used to demean and just sounds unintelligent. I am fine being called woman, lady, miss, even girl before being called a female.
Ditto. Using "female" as a noun and not an adjective to describe a woman is commonly and subtly used by certain types of men to dehumanize and reduce women to the status of gendered objects. It's never used to refer to a woman the man thinks highly of. If you pay attention to context you'll see what I mean.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:09 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,482,142 times
Socially speaking: Context only really matters in the choice of word you decide to use and when you decide to use them

That said, if you are clearly not trying to demean or undermine anyone by using the term you have decided to, nobody has any reason other than their own personal ones to get upset over it.

language is a creation meant to get intentions across at its heart. If someone wants to interpret what you have to say in their own way and not take the actual intention behind those words in to account...that's their own issue to struggle in life with.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:33 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,807,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Socially speaking: Context only really matters in the choice of word you decide to use and when you decide to use them

That said, if you are clearly not trying to demean or undermine anyone by using the term you have decided to, nobody has any reason other than their own personal ones to get upset over it.

language is a creation meant to get intentions across at its heart. If someone wants to interpret what you have to say in their own way and not take the actual intention behind those words in to account...that's their own issue to struggle in life with.
Interesting. But intention isn't always clear, and sometimes it is deliberately disguised. In those cases, would it be ok for a woman who has just been called a "girl" to correct that person that she prefers to be addressed as a "woman"? Or is that the same as "getting upset"?

Old 03-26-2017, 03:43 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,862,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Women can call each other girls, men can not. It's that simple.
Quote:
Then is it wrong if you call an adult female you are dating a girlfriend?
Do you understand nothing about language, or are you just being intentionally obtuse?

I'm guessing that latter.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:51 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,391,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Girlfriend is ok.

Skeevy guy from the bar,"how you girls doing?" Eeww no.

A boyfriend who has been together for awhile,"Hon are you going out with the girls tonight?" Yes ok.

Guy at the museum, "Excuse me ladies would you like to listen to the audio tour with these headphones?" Proper and respectful.
This. Context matters.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:56 PM

18,162 posts, read 15,684,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Interesting. But intention isn't always clear, and sometimes it is deliberately disguised. In those cases, would it be ok for a woman who has just been called a "girl" to correct that person that she prefers to be addressed as a "woman"? Or is that the same as "getting upset"?

In my experiences, the term girl or boy, as applied to an adult, is usually used between people who know each other well in a way that is intended to denote endearment. A friendly, even flirty, type of thing. Friends, lovers even coworkers can use these terms to engage in friendly banter, and being able to do so without offense is a way to show that relationship as being a totally friendly one.

As used to denote contempt or derision, the meaning is usually quite unveiled. When used to such an end it's not hard to see the intent behind it. I cannot ever recall being unclear as to the intent of such terms being said to me. I've never seen ,personally, any grey area there.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:01 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,375,440 times
Quote:
I am curious about something. I understand that strictly speaking a female that is not an adult are referred to as a girl whereas an adult female is referred to as a woman. Yet there seems to be quite a bit of over lap. Even if they are adult females if a bunch of them go out it's called a "girls night out" for example, or if they are collectively into something they can be referred to as "the x girls" heck, even when they are much older you have shows such as "the golden girls" etc etc. Even other adult females view such differently.

What is your take?
I say it this way. Male and Female:

Woman is a term that is earned. Just like Man is a term that is earned. One does not earn it just by living to be a certain age.

Man and Woman is more of a term of character.

So if you want to be called a man, or woman, then you have to act as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships