Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 10:45 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand McLovin View Post
Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 11:17 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
White knight?...thats racist!

Oh, btw, everyone is screwed up and needs to saved sometimes....
Not me.

(Slowly backs away and runs)

Old 04-15-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
See how everything "white" is made to be perceived as good and everything "black" is made to be perceived as bad.
I thought white knight was a bad thing.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:22 PM

1,261 posts, read 971,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Depends if hes wearing armor or a sheet...

Old 04-15-2017, 11:32 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Not me.

(Slowly backs away and runs)
Lol!

Old 04-15-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Depends if hes wearing armor or a sheet...
Well... I dealt with someone. I just can't recall if he had armor or a sheet.

(Looks at stitches)

But White Knights are always ridiculed.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:42 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
A friend and I were having a conversation about my relationship history and she pointed out what she thinks is a pattern. In my 20s, I dated a woman who had a child from a previous relationship. In my 30s, I dated a woman who turned out to have abandonment issues. And even though we only dated for a short period of time, we became close friends and I've helped her through several crises. In my 40s, I was dating a woman who, very early in the relationship, revealed that she had bipolar disorder. My friend observed that I somehow ended up in relationships with three women who either needed or would potentially need my help. Her argument goes that because I didn't run away screaming when I learned the first woman had a child, that the second woman had dependency issues, or that the third had a mental disorder, I was therefore trying to be a rescuer.

Now, my understanding of the white knight personality is that they seek out people to rescue. They look for people who need help of some kind. But in my case, I never went looking for women who needed to be saved. I never saw these women as being in need of any help, certainly not when I first began pursuing them. If anything, I saw them as the exact opposite, as completely independent women who were doing quite well on their own. So I rejected my friend's argument.

But as I reexamine those three examples my friend gave, it's hard for me not see the pattern she pointed out. Three people who either needed my help or would've potentially needed it. And it's hard for me to dismiss that as just a coincidence. In the case of the third woman, I've lately been plagued by self-doubts over whether I should've asked her to move in with me rather than let her move back home to pay off her massive credit card debt. Part of me now wonders if the only reason I'm having these doubts is because some part me wanted to be her rescuer. When I reflect on it, what I feel is guilt over having stood by when I could've helped.

I guess my question is whether it's possible to fall into that white knight mode of thinking even if you're not deliberately looking for people to rescue? In other words, can you turn into a white knight after you've gotten involved with someone? And is that necessarily a bad thing?
I'll give you a serious answer, OP. First off there is a difference between being a rescuer and a white knight. Lots of people are rescuers - I'm one, but I prefer the term "nurturer." When someone has their act together, people who want someone to take care of them can be very attracted to nurturers who also have their **** together. That is probably the case with you. The more I've gotten my act together in my life, the more men who want me to take care of them have come around. The difference is I can sniff them out much, much earlier now.

WK is an accusation flung about by maladjusted men who can't have decent relationships with women or think that taking care of a woman in any form means you think women are better than them. Ignore those people.

And btw, having a child from a previous relationship is not a disorder or someone that is in need of "rescuing." I don't know if you or your friend characterized it as such, but people need to get off of that kind of thinking. I've been a single mom longer than I was married, and I never needed a rescuer.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:43 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times
Quote:

OP said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Now, my understanding of the white knight personality is that they seek out people to rescue. They look for people who need help of some kind.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
OP said...
White knights were often the topic of derision because of some underlying intention (to get some action).

Now, if you are genuine about your rescue, then that's all good.

Phew!!!

Old 04-16-2017, 05:03 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Who is making the determination that these women need rescuing? You, or the women? Just because someone has a child from a previous relationship or has a mental disorder doesn't mean that they need to be rescued. Your friend is talking about three different women in three different circumstances over a period of what, two decades? I am not so sure that is a pattern. I hope that next time you choose someone to date that you allow them the dignity of you not automatically assuming that they are going to need your help to the exclusion of your own needs. That is what I am getting from some of your posts. That the women you date are going to need more from the relationship than they are capable of giving back. I don't think that's a fair assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships