Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:19 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times

Advertisements

I got into quite a discussion yesterday about condoms. Apparently I'm odd because, if I ever took leave of my few remaining senses and got together with someone, I would continue to use them as I do now. Is this generally frowned upon in monogamous relationships?

I really, really, really don't want kids, and I will take any precautions available to avoid them coming along and wrecking a life I'm perfectly capable of screwing up by myself, thank you very much. What's so terrible about taking control of and responsibility for those precautions rather than expecting my (insert word I can't even bring myself to use) to handle that side of things herself, possibly in a way that would compromise her health in the long run?

'I would hate to be your partner and have to use a condom because you didn't trust that we were in a monogamous relationship and neither is us had HIV', said one participant in this conversation. Well excuse the hell outta me for (hypothetically) trying to keep us both safe! It's usually the people who act the most offended when you don't trust them who have something to hide, and I believe one can never be too careful. if you are sexually active in a world where STIs exist, there is always a chance that you will catch something and/or pass it on. I don't like those odds no matter how small they are. Better safe than sorry.

I grew up in the age of this commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ9f378T49E

I remember it airing and it gave me nightmares for a week. By the time I got around to having my fun, the 'DON'T GO TO BED WITH ANYONE OR YOU'LL DIE!' message got through loud and clear. Perhaps too well, but why risk your health and someone else's when it's just as easy to play safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 04:13 AM

914 posts, read 737,927 times
I'm not a big fan of hormonal birth control so it's always condoms for me. I'd be willing to have the coil fitted for a long-term relationship but it's not something that has been an issue yet. The amount of people on forums like CD who say that they don't use condoms or really hate using them when forced to, really surprises me. The vast majority of guys I have had sex with had no problems with them.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:22 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Always wear a condom....always.

You don't want to 'pin' yourself down.

Spare me. Thank you....I'll be here all week.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:44 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
In marriage, where kids were an eventual goal, but timing was key, hormonal contraceptives were our choice. As we reach the end of having children, now, either vasectomy or tubal ligation are on the table. I'm ready to be done with hormonal bc, and neither of us cares for condoms.

Prior to a marriage relationship, always condoms and hormonal contraception.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:54 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Have you looked into a vasectomy OP? I'm probably going to get one at some point after I start having sex.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:59 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Have you looked into a vasectomy OP? I'm probably going to get one at some point after I start having sex.
He's also concerned about STDs and a vasectomy wouldn't offer any protection in that regard.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:01 AM

990 posts, read 2,557,560 times
Condom "fan" here.

Nothing wrong (IN MY OPINION) for not wanting kids, or taking personal responsibility.

I have known far too many people who put more thought into buying a dog... Than having a kid.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:01 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I got into quite a discussion yesterday about condoms. Apparently I'm odd because, if I ever took leave of my few remaining senses and got together with someone, I would continue to use them as I do now. Is this generally frowned upon in monogamous relationships?

I really, really, really don't want kids, and I will take any precautions available to avoid them coming along and wrecking a life I'm perfectly capable of screwing up by myself, thank you very much. What's so terrible about taking control of and responsibility for those precautions rather than expecting my (insert word I can't even bring myself to use) to handle that side of things herself, possibly in a way that would compromise her health in the long run?

'I would hate to be your partner and have to use a condom because you didn't trust that we were in a monogamous relationship and neither is us had HIV', said one participant in this conversation. Well excuse the hell outta me for (hypothetically) trying to keep us both safe! It's usually the people who act the most offended when you don't trust them who have something to hide, and I believe one can never be too careful. if you are sexually active in a world where STIs exist, there is always a chance that you will catch something and/or pass it on. I don't like those odds no matter how small they are. Better safe than sorry.

I grew up in the age of this commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ9f378T49E

I remember it airing and it gave me nightmares for a week. By the time I got around to having my fun, the 'DON'T GO TO BED WITH ANYONE OR YOU'LL DIE!' message got through loud and clear. Perhaps too well, but why risk your health and someone else's when it's just as easy to play safe?
If this bothers you THIS much then continue as you are then mate, even as diss said have a vasectomy or better yet don't have sex! it's that simple

There's no other answer

Old 04-17-2017, 08:16 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
He's also concerned about STDs and a vasectomy wouldn't offer any protection in that regard.
OP mentioned the context of being in a monogamous relationship. If he and his partner have been tested and come back clean, the STDs should not be a factor.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:19 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
OP mentioned the context of being in a monogamous relationship. If he and his partner have been tested and come back clean, the STDs should not be a factor.
Yes, I'm sure that's what everyone who's in a "monogamous" relationship but still contracted an STD thought as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships