Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:26 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
If you refuse to touch me in public, you are telling me that you are embarrassed for people to know we're together.
I'm just very awkward and self-conscious about those sorts of gestures in public, or even in private if I'm honest. In a parallel universe where I ever found myself in such a situation, I would follow the other person's lead and hope I did okay. It doesn't naturally to me to initiate touch of any kind.

I had a very protective dog as a kid who wouldn't let anyone near me. Don't judge .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 10:32 PM

142 posts, read 97,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I'm just very awkward and self-conscious about those sorts of gestures in public, or even in private if I'm honest..
Being single my whole life. I give stinky eyes to any PDA I seen. Holding hands though never bother me. Now, married, me and my husband always get comments from strangers that see us holding hands.

One guy said he and his wife ALWAYS hold hands like we do. One girl said you guys are so cute makes me want to come home to my hubby.

And I always PDA, my husband always stop me, LOL. Except for hand holding he initiates that some times.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:37 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I'm just very awkward and self-conscious about those sorts of gestures in public, or even in private if I'm honest. In a parallel universe where I ever found myself in such a situation, I would follow the other person's lead and hope I did okay. It doesn't naturally to me to initiate touch of any kind.

I had a very protective dog as a kid who wouldn't let anyone near me. Don't judge .
When Im really attracted to someone, I don't think about what's right and what will 'the others' think. I'm touching them, running my fingers through their hair, putting my hand on their knee....back, arm...hand massage, no one's slapped me away, yet.

You've made it clear that you do not want, and will not be having a relationship. Why bother entertaining what you WOULD do in these situations that you enthusiastically refer to as "vomit-inducing and abhorrent"?
It's difficult for the average person to not then deduce that you secretly hope to one day have to deal with these conflicts.
Ever talk to a therapist?
(You should accept HCs apology for assuming the same.)

Old 05-17-2017, 10:53 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
I highly prefer this with my wife to holding hands. I'm much more comfortable.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:54 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,256,773 times
Quote:
Further, physical affection is very important to me, so I wouldn't be a good match with someone who won't hold hands, put their arms around me, or kiss in public.
This. ^^^

Old 05-17-2017, 11:04 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
This. ^^^
Agreed. It's not a business lunch, I can touch or hold hands without it being some grand PDA.

I'm not talking about swirling my tongue around his gums and then wiping my face off with my t-shirt. Even if someone did that, I'd try not to laugh, it doesn't make ME feel awkward, I'm only responsible for what I'm doing.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:07 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant17 View Post
I'm asking because I don't do PDA really. I think it bothered the last woman I saw.
The way you wrote the OP came across quite funny to me hence the reaction in my original post so my apologies.

But usually I am quite an affectionate type of bloke but definitely NOT over affectionate to the point it drives her mad and she finds it annoying/needy and yes I do enjoy subtle/simple gestures like holding hands/interlocking arms/arm around the shoulder etc but usually I let how affectionate she is especially in public dictate how I am in that respect so it's no issue and both are comfortable.

I think it's important to show some kind of effort in showing affection especially in public as yes they may feel you're ashamed of them in some way.

But let's not beat around the bush if the chemistry is intense and mutual then you'll both be struggling to keep your hands off each other regardless of where you are and luckily 9/10 this is the case

Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Ever talk to a therapist?
I have, as it happens. About far more pressing things than hypothetical responses to situations I've thus far managed to avoid. I reserve subjects like that for forums like this .

When I've resolved the overthinking, lack of confidence and perfectionism that stops me being as prolific as Stephen King, I may bring it up. One neurosis at a time if you don't mind.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:28 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Wow, well, once again my opinion is different from the crowd. Shocking, I know.

If someone I was dating never held my hand when we were out, refused to? Then we wouldn't be dating long.

I'm not talking about a first or second date, but someone I would be actively dating. If you refuse to touch me in public, you are telling me that you are embarrassed for people to know we're together. Further, physical affection is very important to me, so I wouldn't be a good match with someone who won't hold hands, put their arms around me, or kiss in public.
This.

Physical touch is my primary love language, and the same for my husband. We enjoy holding hands and PG PDA. I wouldn't take interest in someone who wasn't on the same page.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:38 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Wow, well, once again my opinion is different from the crowd. Shocking, I know.

If someone I was dating never held my hand when we were out, refused to? Then we wouldn't be dating long.

I'm not talking about a first or second date, but someone I would be actively dating. If you refuse to touch me in public, you are telling me that you are embarrassed for people to know we're together. Further, physical affection is very important to me, so I wouldn't be a good match with someone who won't hold hands, put their arms around me, or kiss in public.
Same.

If a woman refused PDA, then I'd just chalk it up to being non-compatible and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships