Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09990 View Post
If everyone else is lying, should I knock a few years off my age? :-P
No, be honest.

I found that a lot of times, people are the opposite of what they state they are and sometimes you can read between the lines.

One guy wrote he doesn't have family left but his close friends are like his family - meant his ex gfs were still around. TOO much around.

He likes gardening - plants weed.

Likes to have a drink - alcoholic.

Hard working - never has time for you.

Work hard - play hard - goes out with friends a lot and spends a lot of money (that he may not have).

Old 05-18-2017, 09:40 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
For balance, women lie at exactly the same rate men do. It's been proven. Maybe not scientifically and maybe women don't lie about the same stuff (I'm guessing age and weight/body type are the leading self delusions among women), but lying is a people thing, not a men and women thing, so odds are huge that it's the same.

Yeah, I know the OP is dating men so their prevarications are the most relevant, but I think I'm painting an accurate picture. I also think that while women are somewhat likely to say it wasn't the thing he lied about but the lie (it was the thing he lied about) guys would more likely admit to being be p'd o about the thing she lied about. Same difference though. The lie will be found out, and it will likely matter.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
They put the height there that they want to be.
Also, many people have several old, nice pics posted and then there is one little one where he looks weird - that's how he really looks like.
If the top of the head is cut off or he wears a hat - usually means he has no hair left and is very insecure about it.
Great points! I love the little weird picture comment too, isn't that the funniest?

I don't put any emphasis on height, I may even go back to check if it's listed before I meet, out of curiosity. It's a strange phenomenon the number of times when someone has indicated 5'10", I meet them, we're almost eye to eye and I'm 5'6".

Baseball hat when working out pics? Insecure about hair, making up for it with body.
I do suspect lying about age, and it's irritating. Why waste so much time, then find out you're meeting someone who looks like the father of the guy in the pics...

OP, no don't lie about your age. So many women must do that, it's one of the most common questions I get asked. "Are those recent pictures in your profile?" How awkward it must be to see the reaction on someone's face when one's presented herself as she was 10 years ago--or has it in her head that she looks 10 years younger, but but this isn't everyone else's opinion....

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2017, 09:50 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
How about saying you're 5'7, and you want to date someone taller than you?

Seems like that would make it harder for the guy to justify to himself "well I'm ALMOST blah blah blah." Plus, I think most guys would rather date girls somewhat shorter than they are.
I vote for this option 👍🏻

Old 05-18-2017, 09:54 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
For balance, women lie at exactly the same rate men do. It's been proven. Maybe not scientifically and maybe women don't lie about the same stuff (I'm guessing age and weight/body type are the leading self delusions among women), but lying is a people thing, not a men and women thing, so odds are huge that it's the same.

Yeah, I know the OP is dating men so their prevarications are the most relevant, but I think I'm painting an accurate picture. I also think that while women are somewhat likely to say it wasn't the thing he lied about but the lie (it was the thing he lied about) guys would more likely admit to being be p'd o about the thing she lied about. Same difference though. The lie will be found out, and it will likely matter.
I have no doubt you are right. And I don't blame you for adding balance to the thread. Men or women, people are people: somebare honest, some are less than honest, and some are lying liars that lie! Lol

Old 05-18-2017, 09:56 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Great points! I love the little weird picture comment too, isn't that the funniest?

I don't put any emphasis on height, I may even go back to check if it's listed before I meet, out of curiosity. It's a strange phenomenon the number of times when someone has indicated 5'10", I meet them, we're almost eye to eye and I'm 5'6".

Baseball hat when working out pics? Insecure about hair, making up for it with body.
I do suspect lying about age, and it's irritating. Why waste so much time, then find out you're meeting someone who looks like the father of the guy in the pics...

OP, no don't lie about your age. So many women must do that, it's one of the most common questions I get asked. "Are those recent pictures in your profile?" How awkward it must be to see the reaction on someone's face when one's presented herself as she was 10 years ago--or has it in her head that she looks 10 years younger, but but this isn't everyone else's opinion....

Good luck!
I ditto the women lying about looks/age thing. I went on quite a few dates where they guys were surprised that I looked like my pictures! Even my current boyfriend was surprised and it made him nervous (which was endearing). He looked just like his pictures too for the record.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I never lied. People do. I went out with men who lied about both age and height. Neither bothered me as much as the guy who lied about not actually being divorced yet. He was also one who put a fake age.

Lots of baseball cap/receding hairline guys. That didn't bother me, though.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:07 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
here is a trick - once you exchanged numbers, ask for a selfie. There is a 90% chance he takes it right then or it is a very recent one.

This has helped me to save a lot of time meeting people who looked nothing like their pics.

After a while of first dates I have gotten very pissed when I make myself pretty, drive for 30-50 minutes and then waste my time meeting somebody who is the opposite of his pics. I rather would have stared at my bedroom wall for two hours than meeting liars and frauds.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:08 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I ditto the women lying about looks/age thing. I went on quite a few dates where they guys were surprised that I looked like my pictures! Even my current boyfriend was surprised and it made him nervous (which was endearing). He looked just like his pictures too for the record.
Me too. I've even thought of adding a few years, and using the picture of my cat on my head or awful angle shots so the guy would be delighted when I walked in, saying: Wow! your pictures do not do you justice!

Old 05-18-2017, 10:15 AM

216 posts, read 214,105 times
I'm not actually going to lie about my age (or anything) - hence the funny tongue face that followed my comment. I look younger than I am, but I don't want to date 20-somethings, so there's no point in trying to appeal to a younger age group.

The suggestion about saying I want someone "taller than me" is good (and fair). I'm not setting some arbitrary height requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships