Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 03:49 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,448,003 times

Advertisements

It mostly gives a sense of direction for people, It also has a host of ingrained legal benefits that you would otherwise have to jump through hoops to obtain/maintain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 04:18 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,071 times
Someone to pay my extravagant shopping bills and feed me bonbons.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:52 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,520,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Hahahaha!

Old 05-24-2017, 06:04 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehee View Post
My parents' marriage wasn't very good, and they divorced 10 years ago. Since then I've often wondered if there's really any point in getting married. I wonder if anyone can help, by explaining to me what really is the purpose of marriage. I mean, what is the purpose of a husband, and what is the purpose of a wife?
If I had a redo, I might opt for the Marriage Strike.

Especially now that my jurisdiction does not require marriage for most joint rights.

If one is not going to have kids, marriage is of questionable value and may actually be a liability.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:06 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,969,068 times
Eternal bliss and happiness
Endless supply of sex and good food
Partner to share life with
Or none of the above

Old 05-24-2017, 06:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Occasional free sex and the idea of companionship.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Attitude like this is one of the many reasons why all women in general are thought of the way they are which is lazy gold diggers only good for sex if one is lucky......

Old 05-24-2017, 06:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Well I hate to bore everyone to death in this clever thread (;D) but historically, marriage is a couple standing up before the community and announcing their intentions to stay together for the rest of their lives. They had close friends and family standing up with them supporting them and indicating they know the couple well and approve of the union.

And from there, children were born and if one of the couple flaked out there were legal repercussions to going back on the deal of remaining together for their whole lives. Most often it was the man who tried to leave, and that gave women with children the right to demand he make good on his promise and support his children. Sometimes it was the woman, and that gave the man the right to also demand the same.

So that's what marriage is about. It's about two people standing up before the public and announcing their intentions to each other that they will be together til death do us part, and then they can be comfortable planning their life around that promise and not getting burned.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:35 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yes there are many reasons why people marry and it's completely subjective to say whether it's for the right or wrong reasons but the general rule is to love, cherish and spend the rest of their lives with one another
Actually, you don't need a piece of paper to " love, cherish and spend the rest of their lives with one another".

But our society says you need to get married. Your friends are all married. Your family keeps asking when you're going to tie the knot, lots of people feel depressed, even worthless because they are not married.
Women want a big wedding and a rock on their finger, couples want a social acceptance, law is protecting marriage. There are goodies like insurance, pensions, tax deductions, and divided assets after divorce.
Married men are seen as more mature/responsible/normal/trustworthy/reliable/ethical/etc. in many circles, thus getting married (especially to a wife who is good at social gatherings with colleagues/bosses/etc.) can be very advantageous to one's career in politics or the corporate world.

In the USA, legally and socially it still makes a big difference to be married. While couples who don't marry do not face the same level of discrimination that they did 20-50 years ago, domestic partners are simply not recognized the same as married couples. Our society values and assumes that married couples have implied rights to information and access to legal, financial and medical information that non-married couples do not.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:26 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,520,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Actually, you don't need a piece of paper to " love, cherish and spend the rest of their lives with one another".

But our society says you need to get married. Your friends are all married. Your family keeps asking when you're going to tie the knot, lots of people feel depressed, even worthless because they are not married.
Women want a big wedding and a rock on their finger, couples want a social acceptance, law is protecting marriage. There are goodies like insurance, pensions, tax deductions, and divided assets after divorce.
Married men are seen as more mature/responsible/normal/trustworthy/reliable/ethical/etc. in many circles, thus getting married (especially to a wife who is good at social gatherings with colleagues/bosses/etc.) can be very advantageous to one's career in politics or the corporate world.

In the USA, legally and socially it still makes a big difference to be married. While couples who don't marry do not face the same level of discrimination that they did 20-50 years ago, domestic partners are simply not recognized the same as married couples. Our society values and assumes that married couples have implied rights to information and access to legal, financial and medical information that non-married couples do not.
Yes I know I don't need a piece of paper to know that I " love, cherish and want to spend the rest of my life with YOU " my love

However no seriously that was just the general rule as to why i believe many get married and I mentioned there are many reasons why which you kindly put some very good reasons why they do so thank you

And as you know ( me being a Brit ) Apart from the society/family expectations and the relevant pressure I didn't know most of that especially the part that it can enhance your career and the " goodies " like the pension, tax etc so I really appreciate you sharing this my love

If honest most couples I know that are my age or close ( say 30-40 ) are NOT married now this is because they are not religious, " don't want to pay £25,000 for a piece of paper " ( my best mates reason ) or they quite simply don't see the advantage and as you know it holds no relevance to me personally

Thank you for such a great post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships