Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:00 AM

242 posts, read 262,920 times

Advertisements

I know everyone is different, and there are no rules in relationships. But I was wondering how long into a relationship should one say I love you? . I only had one boyfriend before my current one. My last one we were together close to eight years. I said the ILY within two months of dating. Now I am seeing my guy for ten months. We haven't said ILY. My friends says its not normal...but I beg to differ. Maybe he is just not sure how he feels and is coping with his feelings. I am definitely scared to say it...I am very shy to say it but intuitively I feel if I say it he may not be ready and it'll be awkward between us.
So what are your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 09:00 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,257,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
I know everyone is different, and there are no rules in relationships. But I was wondering how long into a relationship should one say I love you? . I only had one boyfriend before my current one. My last one we were together close to eight years. I said the ILY within two months of dating. Now I am seeing my guy for ten months. We haven't said ILY. My friends says its not normal...but I beg to differ. Maybe he is just not sure how he feels and is coping with his feelings. I am definitely scared to say it...I am very shy to say it but intuitively I feel if I say it he may not be ready and it'll be awkward between us.
So what are your experiences?

There is no set time frame for saying those words.

You should do so when that's how you feel towards the other person. They may not return the sentiment right now (or ever), but that's the risk you take in any intimate relationship.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:55 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
There comes a time when expectations need to be discussed.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:52 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
If a guy didn't love me at 10 months, then I would figure he never will. /shrug

Even if he did, that's a little to emotionally distant for me.

How much time do you spend together?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-02-2017, 05:36 PM

378 posts, read 230,292 times
In my past relationships, I honestly didn't know what love was or at least how to distinguish it from lust or infatuation. I only ever told one of my past lovers I loved him. Knowing what I know now, I really didn't. I was only entertaining the idea of such a fairy tale. I was in love with the idea of love so they say. I didn't have the best role models when it came to serious, adult relationships growing up so love was lost on me. Now that I'm 31, it's safe to say I found it. I guess my advice to you is trial and error. Take a chance and see what happens. Learn from it and carry on with or without him by your side.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:44 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
10 months does seem like a decent amount of time to know. Maybe he's just from a family where I love yous weren't thrown around much. I know that's the case with my family. I have a hard time saying it. I don't know why, but it is what it is.

It's also possible that he doesn't' feel that way. Not trying to be mean spirited here, just saying. In terms of when to say it, I don't know, I don't think that there's really any rules so to speak. That said I do find it a little odd that after ten months no ones said it.

You could take a chance on and be the first to say it. Be bold and size the day as they say.

Hope things go well for you two.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:52 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
I know everyone is different, and there are no rules in relationships. But I was wondering how long into a relationship should one say I love you?
Do you love him? You didn't mention that part.
Say it when you feel it.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If a guy didn't love me at 10 months, then I would figure he never will. /shrug
That's pretty much what I was thinking.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:01 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
wow, I completely disagree. Some people date each other for many years and do not say 'I love you'.

I think 2 months is enormously too early. And 10 months is like a grain of sand at a beach in terms of time. (I know others posted differently)

One barely knows another person after 2 months.

And saying 'I love you' to me is indicative of a commitment and a commitment to something long-term.

One should not say 'I love you' unless you're committed to something long-term or marriage or living together, in my opinion.

People are so love-starved these days. It's what makes people say 'love you' at the end of most every cellphone call - to people who are barely friends or even to friends.

I think love can develop over time, and 10 months is certainly not a kind of limit to where one will never love a person.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:04 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I love my friends. It's not uncommon for us to say that.

I'm like the opposite of love starved, my husband says I'm the guy in our marriage. /lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships