Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 4,959 times

Advertisements

Hello I am in a bad place right now need advice me and my husband have been married going on 3 years 08/01/2017 he is disabled and I have a 24 year old special needs daughter, his oldest sister after I went to Social Security and became his payee came and took him down there she is now his payee.

He pays some bills I pay some the problem is she is not giving us enough money to live on I finally called Legal Aid this morning and the guy I spoke to said he had to speak to think his mangining attorney to see it is something they could handle took my phone number he told me to try and talk to Social Security Again.

I know they will wont proof but I am trying to figure out what I can take need to go there to show them she is not giving us the money we need he and I have food stamps and also my daughter which is not much I have to buy food on the first when I daughter gets her check plus what bills I have some of my bills I cannot pay.

Before Xmas she gave my husband his bank card but took that back she only allows him 300 dollars out his check but she gives him what she wont s out of it maybe just 10 dollars he has to call for her to bring him his money he never has cigaretts the way he should or money for other things he needs she did come few weeks back took him shopping she hardly does.

I go crazy on the first we have so much grocery shopping to do and then worry about food rest of the month due to her controlling his money we need to move for more space we just cannot live like we should for nothing due to her I have considered separating from him but I lost my Section 8 making him head of household not good and they have a waiting list this is very stressful I stay upset and worried.

I do plan on calling Social Security but hope legal Aid can help me I did call them last year after getting letters saying she would be his payee and went down to the office enough is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 11:14 AM

20,767 posts, read 19,992,197 times
Can you clean up your post, please? It is incredibly hard to read with no punctuation - as people have told you the last 5 times you posted this.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,641 posts, read 18,001,275 times
Why is he not his own "payee"? Why does another adult have to manage his money?

Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,874,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Why is he not his own "payee"? Why does another adult have to manage his money?
He has to show he is mentally and physically able to manage his own money, the payee selects their own representative as far as I've experienced though.

OP, have you investigated whether there's a way for you to be paid to take care of both of these adults? If you went to work you'd surely have to hire a Home Health Aide, if you're the only one able to do the day to day living tasks. Are you collecting SSDI as well?

Old 07-18-2017, 01:42 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,340,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
He has to show he is mentally and physically able to manage his own money, the payee selects their own representative as far as I've experienced though.

OP, have you investigated whether there's a way for you to be paid to take care of both of these adults? If you went to work you'd surely have to hire a Home Health Aide, if you're the only one able to do the day to day living tasks. Are you collecting SSDI as well?
I wondered if the daughter might get security income, given what the OP related.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:32 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,747,462 times
And you can't work to support your family because...?

Old 07-18-2017, 02:37 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,747,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimples23 View Post
he has to call for her to bring him his money he never has cigaretts the way he should
Why should the government pay for his cigarettes (and the health consequences), when you know he certainly should not have them.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:51 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,256,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
And you can't work to support your family because...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why should the government pay for his cigarettes (and the health consequences), when you know he certainly should not have them.
Exactly.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:13 PM

20,767 posts, read 19,992,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimples23 View Post
Hello I am in a bad place right now need advice me and my husband have been married going on 3 years 08/01/2017 he is disabled and I have a 24 year old special needs daughter, his oldest sister after I went to Social Security and became his payee came and took him down there she is now his payee.

He pays some bills I pay some the problem is she is not giving us enough money to live on I finally called Legal Aid this morning and the guy I spoke to said he had to speak to think his mangining attorney to see it is something they could handle took my phone number he told me to try and talk to Social Security Again.

I know they will wont proof but I am trying to figure out what I can take need to go there to show them she is not giving us the money we need he and I have food stamps and also my daughter which is not much I have to buy food on the first when I daughter gets her check plus what bills I have some of my bills I cannot pay.

Before Xmas she gave my husband his bank card but took that back she only allows him 300 dollars out his check but she gives him what she wont s out of it maybe just 10 dollars he has to call for her to bring him his money he never has cigaretts the way he should or money for other things he needs she did come few weeks back took him shopping she hardly does.

I go crazy on the first we have so much grocery shopping to do and then worry about food rest of the month due to her controlling his money we need to move for more space we just cannot live like we should for nothing due to her I have considered separating from him but I lost my Section 8 making him head of household not good and they have a waiting list this is very stressful I stay upset and worried.

I do plan on calling Social Security but hope legal Aid can help me I did call them last year after getting letters saying she would be his payee and went down to the office enough is enough.

Do you work?

Old 07-18-2017, 04:46 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,874,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Do you work?
I don't think so, and if she comes back to answer, I'm thinking she'll respond that she's the caretaker for 2 adults, so she can't go to work. I know if I didn't have any money for food, I wouldn't be wishing my daughters assistance lasted longer, or be mad at my husband's sister. I guess someone else is in control of the money because these people may be unable to care for themselves adequately. Kind of sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships