Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times

Advertisements

When in a romantic relationship with a man.. what do you believe your ROLE in that relationship is?

I ask this because we are living in a strange time where people are kind of wishy-washy about gender roles and most people seem to only support them when its convenient for them.

Please nothing vague like "to be his partner" or "to offer companionship". I'm looking more for day-to-day proactive behaviors that offer value to his life only a woman can provide. Sex and kids are obvious so no need to mention those. What else is part of your ROLE as his girlfriend or wife?

Old 07-18-2017, 12:40 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Mostly nag about the honey-do list and feed the dogs.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:43 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,594 times
It depends on the couple. It would be pretty limiting to say that men have to follow one standard and women another. Whatever works for them.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:45 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
It depends on the couple. It would be pretty limiting to say that men have to follow one standard and women another. Whatever works for them.
Yeah, not looking for general answers like this.

Obviously I'm asking people what specifically works for THEM.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
When in a romantic relationship with a man.. what do you believe your ROLE in that relationship is?

I ask this because we are living in a strange time where people are kind of wishy-washy about gender roles and most people seem to only support them when its convenient for them.

Please nothing vague like "to be his partner" or "to offer companionship". I'm looking more for day-to-day proactive behaviors that offer value to his life only a woman can provide. Sex and kids are obvious so no need to mention those. What else is part of your ROLE as his girlfriend or wife?
So, only a woman has the requirement to provide what a man *needs* in a relationship but a man has one requirement and that is to show up?
My only *role* is to be human.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I'm looking more for day-to-day proactive behaviors that offer value to his life only a woman can provide. Sex and kids are obvious so no need to mention those.
No need to mention those? Then what is there to discuss? Frankly, sex and kids are the ONLY things I can think of that "only" a woman can provide him in a romantic relationship.

Assuming he's hetero ...

Chriz.... you know no one can really answer your question, don't you?

Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I can't think of anything a woman can only provide other than children (I guess one could adopt them too). I only want them to have sexy times with, but in reality that isn't restricted to women. Meh.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:53 PM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I am very drawn to men who are wonderful beautiful souls...on the inside... But who for whatever reason aren't always well appreciated by society on superficial grounds. I can often see in people, what many others may not. Perhaps this is part of the art of being patient, and I am a very patient person. So when I find myself, as now, with a man who has been misunderstood and had his confidence damaged by the people around him, I feel I have a role I enjoy in lifting him up. It is also part of my "caregiver" mentality (which isn't necessarily a gender specific thing at all) to offer a lot of moral support to someone that I love. We are on the same team, we share the same goals, and we are one another's biggest fans.

Partnership. Putting my effort into areas that benefit us both and sharing the rewards of that. In some relationships that means working full time, in this one I will be the main earner as he nears his retirement years, and continue to do so, to make sure he's able to enjoy leaving the rat race behind at a decent point in life. Helping to make his life and surroundings beautiful and comfortable. Part of that is taking care of my own health and appearance. Of course no one remains youthful forever, but he enjoys me looking my best, so I put some energy into that. It is part of the role I have accepted.

The role is what you make of it.

EDIT: Also, he has in me a place where he can feel ok being emotional, sensitive, and vulnerable, which he usually can't. Especially with other men like his Dad and his male friends. And I provide loving touch, which like many men he does not have otherwise. (Not just sex but contact.)

Old 07-18-2017, 01:02 PM

28,672 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Inasmuch as the OP is not asking about "women's role" in general but the roles of individual women in particular in their own relationships, it shouldn't be that hard.

I'll put it a different way:

"What tasks have you taken as your own in your particular relationship?"

In my relationship--I've been married 34 years--I fix whatever is broken in the house or yard or car or make sure it gets fixed and keep it maintained.

I build computers and run networks. I also do carpentry, electrical work, plumbing, floor tiling, masonry, and landscaping. I do pretty much everything on our automobiles from changing tires to overhauling engines, except air conditioning.

And I kill whatever needs killin' around the house, from roaches to home invaders.

I do the laundry and make sure the house is stocked with all non-food items.

I pay out the bills and do the taxes.

My wife prepares our food. As far as I can tell, she does this by twitching her nose, because I see nothing in the kitchen to eat and then, voila, there is a full meal.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:03 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
How old is the relationship? Live together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships