Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:13 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,355,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Would be curious to know what the comment was and whether or not she felt (rightly or wrongly)there just could have been an inking of truth to it,
As a sort of academic pursuit I understand your curiosity, but would that in any way be relevant practically other than as information for her should she choose to be in another relationship some day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 09:17 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,318,233 times
I'd not only walk but I'd run! And women wonder why men call them crazy.. The OP is proof.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:19 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,784,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
So my bf and I had a fight last night. He said something that offended me but I didn't know he was saying it as a joke. We were lying on the couch watching TV and I slapped him and I said 'I hate you'! .
I ran to my room. He didn't follow me. He said "Listen I will see you in a few days. I am too angry to stay." I burst in to tears saying I am sorry and I didn't mean to slap him. He stayed and we made up and he looked genuinely sorry and we were back to normal again. But I can't help it but this morning I woke up feeling very guilty, depressed and embarrassed I slapped him. Of course it wasn't like I slapped him so hard (I know that doesn't matter). I just don't want him to think I am some crazy lady, lose my temper at the drop of a hat! I am not like that. What are your guys experience? Do you really think we can move on from this? I would appreciate a man's experience. Last night after the fight we did make love and everything seemed to be fine. But in the back of my mind I just hope it doesn't change anything. We are together one year. I feel awful and I cried again this morning.
Thank you.
You should feel embarrassed and ashamed. What you did was unacceptable.

Having sex with him afterwards clearly isn't an adequate compensatory mechanism b/c if it was, you wouldn't have woken up and cried.

A one time physical assault is one time too many.

If I was him, I'd drop you, and quick. In no way shape or form should you ever believe it's okay to physically assault another person b/c s/he said something you didn't like.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:21 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,235,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
As a sort of academic pursuit I understand your curiosity, but would that in any way be relevant practically other than as information for her should she choose to be in another relationship someday?

Nope...just nosy
Now, on second thought, yes, it may.
Consider the other part of my post. Is it possible she is insecure ( or correct) in thinking he might not have been kidding.
Otherwise, why would she have NOT just thought he was kidding?

Old 07-21-2017, 09:22 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,072,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoon View Post
So my bf and I had a fight last night. He said something that offended me but I didn't know he was saying it as a joke. We were lying on the couch watching TV and I slapped him and I said 'I hate you'! .
I ran to my room. He didn't follow me. He said "Listen I will see you in a few days. I am too angry to stay." I burst in to tears saying I am sorry and I didn't mean to slap him. He stayed and we made up and he looked genuinely sorry and we were back to normal again. But I can't help it but this morning I woke up feeling very guilty, depressed and embarrassed I slapped him. Of course it wasn't like I slapped him so hard (I know that doesn't matter). I just don't want him to think I am some crazy lady, lose my temper at the drop of a hat! I am not like that. What are your guys experience? Do you really think we can move on from this? I would appreciate a man's experience. Last night after the fight we did make love and everything seemed to be fine. But in the back of my mind I just hope it doesn't change anything. We are together one year. I feel awful and I cried again this morning.
Thank you.
No, you're normal.
Its all perfectly typical of young lovers.
You'll be just fine.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:28 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,355,125 times
Quote:
Nope...just nosy
Now, on second thought, yes, it may.
Consider the other part of my post. Is it possible she is insecure ( or correct) in thinking he might not have been kidding.
Otherwise, why would she have NOT just thought he was kidding?
I think she's a bundle of insecurities. I don't think you're trying to justify her actions, but when the discussion turns to why she hit her boyfriend, I get a little concerned that someone will suggest there's a reason that justifies her actions. It might benefit her to know why she did this, assuming she'll see it as a serious breach and then commit to sorting out why she behaved as she did. I'm not really confident she will though, since he's given her a pass and since nookie seems to heal all wounds for some people.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:31 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,220,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Hey, think of it as a form of foreplay. You did make up. In short, get over it. Don't waste your time.
Exactllllyyyyy.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:42 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,128,846 times
No... it is not foreplay.. .it is abuse.

I know most people would probably let it go if it was a single occurrence rather than a repeating pattern of behavior. However, something like that would personally dig up some childhood memories that I worked my whole life to get past. I don't think I would get passed it so quickly. I inherited that type of behavior.. it is shameful. I promised that I would never raise my hand to anyone in my family and I have kept that promise.

When we became parents. We promise ourselves that the history of verbal and physical abuse stops with us. Our children will never see what we have seen. We have kept that promise.

I know you apologized and you feel guilty about it.... that is a good thing. Abusers often do not feel guilt nor feel that they have wronged. Your BF has accepted your apology and moved passed it. Take this as a second chance to figure out why you reacted that way and how to better vent that knee jerk anger.

Last edited by usayit; 07-21-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 07-21-2017, 09:47 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,343,066 times
Quote:
An instant reaction of the slap, although not excusable, doesn't bother me as much as being able to say "I hate you".
Agree very much. I don't advocate hitting, but I know there are times in an argument people say the ugliest, meanest things they can.

I realize this is a double standard and will not be a popular opinion here, but I think there are things a man can say to a woman that could warrant a slap. I wouldn't, for example, call a woman a w***e without expecting a bit of physical blowback.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:49 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,235,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
. I'm not really confident she will though, since he's given her a pass and since nookie seems to heal all wounds for some people.
It would appear by her posting here about how awful she feels about it, that she isn't passing it off as nothing.And, you're right. I am in no way justifying, simply understanding that sometimes we aren't all we'd like ourselves to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships