Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2017, 12:45 AM

581 posts, read 456,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
"Don't you know that a man being rich is like a girl being pretty? You wouldn't marry a girl just because she's pretty, but my goodness, doesn't it help?"

---Marilyn Monroe as Lorelei Lee in 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' (1953)
Aw, I love that movie. It's one of my favorites.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 02:21 AM

52,306 posts, read 52,756,330 times
Because it's a little skeevy, but whatever, I don't care about this stuff anymore like I used to, if both parties know what the deal is, who cares really. If some rich old dude wants some young eye candy and both know the deal, screw it. LOL.

It would never be a thing for me, but to each their own.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:44 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,735,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
Why is it "ok" to be in a relationship or to date etc because the person is nice, or you like how they or or their personality etc. But if your with someone because their rich or famous etc its frowned upon. In both scenarios the person likes or is with the person because they benefit from it, they are in a sense "using" the other person
Because those who can "get" a rich person are deemed "sleazy", "superficial", etc. by those who can't. It's one of a number of social control phenomena, designed to regulate behavior. I'm not sure it's that effective, though.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:39 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,586,410 times
Because one is a meaningful relationship, and the other is a shallow relationship.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:14 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,207,772 times
Quote:
Why is it "ok" to be in a relationship or to date etc because the person is nice, or you like how they or or their personality etc. But if your with someone because their rich or famous etc its frowned upon. In both scenarios the person likes or is with the person because they benefit from it, they are in a sense "using" the other person
The person labelled "nice" supposedly behaves as a decent human being, but "rich" refers to possessions, and the person with riches could be a dirtbag from Jump Street.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:22 AM

641 posts, read 405,989 times
Quote:
Because they're gold diggers latching onto someone else's success.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:22 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,874,163 times
Who gets to officially determine which person is nice and which one is mean?
What is rich?
Who gets to give the "ok" about being with either one?

Quit worrying about what other people think, as long as you're not hurting anyone.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:19 AM

48,544 posts, read 34,911,433 times
I can be with anyone for any reason(s) I choose. I don't need outsiders to agree or disagree with me - that's a non-issue.

I think everyone has a bunch of "wants", and the person they date is a combination of factors.

There is no one trait that attracted me to my husband, it was the mix that made him irresistible to me.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-23-2017, 12:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
Quote:
Quote:
no, just wondering why we tend to view people differently who are with someone for their money vs who are with someone because their nice for example. In both situations they are "using" the other person for their own benefit
one word "perception". we tend to forget that people are living beings with wants and needs of their own, and are generally looking for someone to fill those needs. lets say that i were to hook up with someone like sandra bullock, me being an unknown person getting by in life, her being rich and famous. people would tend to look at that relationship as me being the proverbial gold digger and just chasing her for her money.

but our relationship might just be much more than that, but people wont see any deeper than what they perceive on the surface.

in the end, every relationship is one of using the other person to fill needs and wants that we have.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:12 PM

783 posts, read 850,423 times
Quote:
Ok let me spin this around.

Why is it "ok" to be in a relationship or to date etc because the person is nice, or you like how they or or their personality etc. But if your with someone because they're hot and sexy and want their sex etc its frowned upon. In both scenarios the person likes or is with the person because they benefit from it, they are in a sense "using" the other person
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships