Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:16 AM

1,188 posts, read 958,757 times

Advertisements

How is it possible that a decent looking guy can swipe right on hundreds (possibly 1,000+) profiles of local women and not get a single match? I think that either women on those apps having extremely high standards or their profiles are inactive or they don't use the apps as heavily as men do. What I mean by that last suggestion is that since men spend hours swiping so many profiles and the same women are getting swiped right on, those women have literally thousands of men lined up in their swipe queue, like an employer who gets thousands of resumes for 1 position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
These IMHO are some of the weakest dating apps available, Bumble especially. On Match people are just picky.

With Bumble I would try to log out and reset your phone. It was a really bad app on the iPhone, combined with awful dating candidates. With Match I would try posting better pictures.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:35 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
You're one guy swiping his finger across his cell phone for any woman with a heartbeat, from the sounds of it. Multiply that by all the other non-discriminating guys who will swipe on anyone and tell me how effective this is.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:40 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You're one guy swiping his finger across his cell phone for any woman with a heartbeat, from the sounds of it. Multiply that by all the other non-discriminating guys who will swipe on anyone and tell me how effective this is.
For guys, they especially have to take this approach and hope for even ONE match. Guys are at a major disadvantage for this point unless they have super elite looks.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:41 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
I heard having two crappy pics, using five words or less to describe yourself, and sending off-the-wall weird/crappy messages works well online.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:18 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Wait it out? Or try to reset/reinstall the app? I feel like that's odd. Where do you live? I know a lot of guys (not exactly prizes) who have good luck on bumble. I used Tinder for while and had a lot of matches and messages.

Where do you live? Sometimes being in a big city can actually hurt w/ some of these. I left Boston last weekend to spend time on Cape Cod with my girlfriend and a couple of single friends (guys and girls). Their inboxes on Tinder/Bumble were blowing up more than ever down there. I think a part of the reason is that when the "pool" is smaller, people take bigger chances on swiping or messages. In bigger cities where the market is flooded ("literally hundreds or thousands of profiles") people are less aggressive and more selective.

If you're in a decent sized city, take a day trip a little ways outside of town and try again. Expand your parameters (age, distance, etc.). You'll have more success. You can still say no if you want too.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:20 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
How is it possible that a decent looking guy can swipe right on hundreds (possibly 1,000+) profiles of local women and not get a single match? I think that either women on those apps having extremely high standards or their profiles are inactive or they don't use the apps as heavily as men do. What I mean by that last suggestion is that since men spend hours swiping so many profiles and the same women are getting swiped right on, those women have literally thousands of men lined up in their swipe queue, like an employer who gets thousands of resumes for 1 position.

are you sure you are swiping into the right direction?

Put up a different pic and try again?

Something doesn't sound right.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:30 AM

986 posts, read 1,865,956 times
What does your profile say? Just curious.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:30 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
For guys, they especially have to take this approach and hope for even ONE match. Guys are at a major disadvantage for this point unless they have super elite looks.
Eh, I don't know about that. I feel like many of the guys that complain about being at a disadvantage because they're not a 10 are using that to skirt around shortcomings elsewhere. I'm average looking (31, definitely receding hairline, average build... not bad, but not "super elite") and I've done fine on these apps.

It helps to be good looking for sure, but an interesting profile/description and some good photos helps. If you're not a 10, don't try to hide it. Own the full body shot, even if you're not in perfect shape. If you've got the receding hairline, don't wear a hat in all of your pictures (or even 1/2 of them). Don't make your primary photo one with you and 4 better looking friends. Post pictures of you doing fun things (travel kills it every time). Smile (even if you think it's not great). Profiles full of group shots, shots from the neck up or weird angles, every photo is of you in a hat, etc. reeks of insecurity and is transparent as hell. It's the dating profile comb over.

On the same token, have an interesting "about you" section. Mentioning height and work is fine. Witty is great if you're witty; but if you're not, don't pretend to be. That joke you copied from the Chive is in about 100 other profiles she's seen. Play to your own strengths- not what's perceived to be "appealing."

Old 08-04-2017, 10:39 AM

902 posts, read 747,198 times
Women are messaged by 1000's of thirsty guys on dating and social media. You have to be an elite level slayer to get anywhere. Social media has inflated egos to the point of 2/10 thunder beasts who think they "deserve" a 10/10 aesthetic male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships