Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:05 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,343,736 times

Advertisements

I'm just like you except I study the celts not the Germans,I also appear as a hippy but am conservative I guess.

You sound to me like a stormfront (white supremacy) type,German paganism,ancient Germanic culture and languages,right wing, they really love all that stuff.If you're not one of them I apologise but you could definately look into German forums,forums for ancient Germanic culture,you have a much higher chance of finding someone akin than you did 100 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 12:59 AM

92 posts, read 48,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I'm just like you except I study the celts not the Germans,I also appear as a hippy but am conservative I guess.

You sound to me like a stormfront (white supremacy) type,German paganism,ancient Germanic culture and languages,right wing, they really love all that stuff.If you're not one of them I apologise but you could definately look into German forums,forums for ancient Germanic culture,you have a much higher chance of finding someone akin than you did 100 years ago.
I'm not one of those stormfront types, but I can see why someone would mistake me for one. This problem actually dates back quite a while. In high school some people actually thought I was a Nazi due to my interests and German heritage (born in Germany, my father is from there). For example, I remember one incident when somebody carved a huge swasitka on the locker room wall and I subsequently got asked a million times if I had done it (I didn't). It also really doesn't help that my great-grandfather actually served in the German military during the final days of WW2 (he was conscripted against his will). Perhaps my seemingly high potential to be mistaken for one of those stormfront types is another reason why I'm still single.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:58 AM

29,783 posts, read 34,559,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
An Ohio state school, and it's a hippie school? I can't believe that. Where did Ohio get all the hippies? No, there's gotta be all different kinds of students in a state school; there always are. It's a matter of finding them.
Ohio's full of hippies, Ruth, it's like any other large state. (I'm guessing OU? Miami?)

I'm beginning to wonder if the OP is writing off all the people not like him as hippies and liberals. It's great to find your niche in college, but it's also great to expose yourself to new ideas and get along with different kinds of people. Looking only for people just like you and writing everyone off as a nut isn't help. Finding people with common interests doesn't mean they'll be exactly the same as you are.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Ohio's full of hippies, Ruth, it's like any other large state. (I'm guessing OU? Miami?)

I'm beginning to wonder if the OP is writing off all the people not like him as hippies and liberals. It's great to find your niche in college, but it's also great to expose yourself to new ideas and get along with different kinds of people. Looking only for people just like you and writing everyone off as a nut isn't help. Finding people with common interests doesn't mean they'll be exactly the same as you are.
It is OU actually, if that helps at all.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
You're not giving the OP good advice here. When he's in his 30's, women will want to be with him, no doubt. But it'll be for the wrong reasons. Instead of wanting him because they naturally desire him for sex, they'll want him because they see him a reliable provider to settle down with. And therein lies the rub. Because there is no natural desire, it won't be a strong relationship, since it's not anchored by that natural desire on the woman's part. Which means constant arguments and disagreements over trivial matters, like dishes in the sink. Which means neither he nor his partner will be happy.
This is actually a significant fear of mine. I strongly believe that I am missing out on a critical period with respect to love/sex/relationships. In linguistics, it is well-known that when a young child fails to acquire a language naturally before a certain age, then he will never be able to speak more than a few words, if any at all. The same can be applied to this problem of mine. If I fail to secure means of developing healthy relationships with women when I am young enough, it may (or will) cause problems down the road. I already feel so far behind, that my skills and knowledge in this department are stunted. Who knows how bad it will be in ten years. I really hope I can still end up with a girl who actually is my type and cares about me, rather than someone who's just looking to settle.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:31 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,421,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odin77 View Post
This is actually a significant fear of mine. I strongly believe that I am missing out on a critical period with respect to love/sex/relationships. In linguistics, it is well-known that when a young child fails to acquire a language naturally before a certain age, then he will never be able to speak more than a few words, if any at all. The same can be applied to this problem of mine. If I fail to secure means of developing healthy relationships with women when I am young enough, it may (or will) cause problems down the road. I already feel so far behind, that my skills and knowledge in this department are stunted. Who knows how bad it will be in ten years. I really hope I can still end up with a girl who actually is my type and cares about me, rather than someone who's just looking to settle.
Dude, you're 21, lol.

Plenty of people your age (and even older) have no idea about love/sex/relationships, but eventually do fine and end up meeting someone (perhaps even eventually marrying them).

Old 08-14-2017, 12:43 AM

102,310 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Don't worry, OP. It only takes one good girlfriend to catch up. Don't catastrophize. You're not doomed to lifelong relationship failure. You're only 21, for heaven's sake! It's not as unusual as you think for some people to have their first relationship in their early-to-mid 20's. Some don't have their first relationship until after they graduate.

About the bolded, that is not a well-known fact or principle in linguistics at all. Could you clarify? People learn languages and become fluent in them at all ages. Do you mean, if a child fails to acquire speech at all by a certain age?

Old 08-14-2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Dude, you're 21, lol.

Plenty of people your age (and even older) have no idea about love/sex/relationships, but eventually do fine and end up meeting someone (perhaps even eventually marrying them).
I'm just not sure if I'd find anyone properly suited to me. The problem I have presents itself as a sort of paradox. On one hand I have long hair, smoke weed, and play in a rock band. This, my outward appearance alone will attract more hippie-type girls. However, these same sorts of women, though they can be quite pretty, tend to party a lot and sleep around. I just wouldn't be able to handle a girl like that.

By contrast, if would I go for women who were more quiet and studious, like myself, there would also be problems. These girls tend to be harder to find, and even if I found one she may be turned off by my appearance, or my weed habit. Thus, I'm torn between going by my outward appearance versus my own personality. I doubt there's very many women out there who are attractive, don't party or sleep around, listen to psychedelic rock, smoke weed, don't subscribe to the leftist dogma that is present everywhere where I live, AND happen to be into things like history, Germanic culture, and linguistics. That type of woman does not exist, I'm almost universally convinced.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:30 AM

1,248 posts, read 827,640 times
Hail Odin!

You should start hanging out at sites and forums for Germanic Heathens and find yourself a fierce Teutonic Valkyrie who would share your interests Frankly, if I was not married already, I'd be interested too.

Most of these young German ladies are pretty left-wing though, so you'll have to come to terms with that.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:33 AM

1,248 posts, read 827,640 times
Quote:
Rubbish! I started learning German at 20-something and have mastered it just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships