Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 03:23 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
I think some flirting is harmless. I have been in Vegas with girlfriends before and we have chatted with men while at bars or gambling. Sometimes there can be casual flirting. No lines crossed. But it's casual harmless chatting that ends quickly and means nothing. My husband went to a concert a while ago with some friends from work. One of the friends brought some other women. He told me afterwards one was flirting with him the whole night. He doesn't wear a wedding ring ( neither to I), so at one point he just said' not sure if you know but I'm married". But it was all harmless, didn't bother me. In fact, I'm glad that he is still attractive to others, hasn't let himself go etc.
Interesting...unless the flirting seemed to be crossing the line already, I'm not sure why anyone would feel the need to mention that they were married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 03:27 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Flirting means different things to different people.

To me it means talking in a way to get closer to someone romantically.

I would not like it if my S/O flirted with others and vice verse.
Well of course not. The whole way the question was phrased is silly and becomes a moot point. If everyone is innocent is fine...if somebody wants to get in someone's pants, not fine.

To me the issue becomes when screwed up people say you can't even look at someone of the opposite sex because it's flirting - that's a control issue.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:05 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Interesting...unless the flirting seemed to be crossing the line already, I'm not sure why anyone would feel the need to mention that they were married.
I mention being unavailable when it seems some social flirting is going on, if I want to politely make sure they other person knows that it is just silly innuendo with no intent. I don't want to lead someone on, to where they think something is actually happening, if it's not.

It's one way of pointing out boundaries.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:07 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I try to keep my behavior consistent whether or not DH is there. So if I wouldn't do it in front of him, I won't do it when he is not.

I am around his male co-workers an hour a day (he's not there), I'm polite and distantly friendly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-06-2017, 04:24 PM

888 posts, read 555,643 times
Quote:
My husband is somewhat reserved, and honestly I think he just wanted to not talk and just listen to the music. He is funny that way. He likes to talk, but is a bit introverted and after a while need quiet and to just sit.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:33 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That was a condition of the OP.
Except that to some outside looking in might consider our behavior inappropriate.....

Which goes back to that it depends on person.. relationship... situation.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:03 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
There is innocent flirting that means nothing, then there is flirting that some people call testing the waters and see what happens, and go from there.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:14 PM

926 posts, read 673,709 times
Quote:
Well of course not. The whole way the question was phrased is silly and becomes a moot point. If everyone is innocent is fine...if somebody wants to get in someone's pants, not fine.

To me the issue becomes when screwed up people say you can't even look at someone of the opposite sex because it's flirting - that's a control issue.
I don't think I phrased my question in a 'silly way'. For a lot of people, something which is deemed inappropriate by many is NOT inappropriate to them and is totally acceptable by them, like someone else here has already stated.

As far as your last sentence is concerned, it depends HOW someone's SO is "looking" at a member of the opposite sex. If it's just a quick look or a quick 'admiring' look, that's one thing - but if they're blatantly staring at someone, eyeing them up and down or undressing them with their eyes, then that's a whole different ball of wax...and that would be completely disrespectful and pervy of them to do that whilst in a relationship or a marriage. It's not a matter of 'control' when someone expects their SO or spouse to behave respectfully as though they are married or in a relationship.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:15 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
The kind of flirting I'm talking about is NOT the type of flirting you would do when striking up a fun convo with the grocery store cashier or engaging in playful banter with a co-worker or a party guest.

The type of flirting I'm referring to is the kind that would be considered inappropriate by significant others or spouses with regard to their husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend flirting with a member of the opposite gender. And this could be flirting that is occurring IRL or via text.

I think the main reason people flirt with the opposite gender is because they have a sexual attraction and/or a romantic interest in that person and they want to amp up the communication so they can get closer to them. IMO though, when a person is in a monogamous committed relationship OR is married, flirting with the opposite sex should go completely OUT the window - permanently.

Married people or people in relationships who flirt with the opposite sex could be asking for trouble - either from their SO/spouse or from the individual they're flirting with...it could lead to hurt feelings, suspicions, mistrust, jealousy and could possibly even lead to cheating; whether it develops into an EA or PA.

Some people believe that flirting is "harmless" and that just because a person is in a relationship, it doesn't mean that "they're dead". They believe that as long as it stays as a 'simple flirtation' that it's perfectly okay and if their SO or spouse is bothered by it, then it means they are insecure, immature and controlling.

Other people think that flirting is inappropriate when a person is in a relationship or is married and that they shouldn't engage in it at all because it would be disrespectful to their partner and that it is sleazy behaviour for a committed person to display.

Should married people or people who are in a committed monogamous relationship flirt with the opposite sex? Or should they respect the boundaries of their relationship/marriage and keep ALL interactions with the opposite gender on a completely platonic level?
All I know is if someone else's girlfriend or wife is flirting with me, I'm not going to respond. Not worth the bruises. That's what your man is for. Don't want him? Break it off, and then you can maybe flirt with me. It is up to me to use discretion. Hell, I wouldn't even do "harmless" flirting, that could be taken the wrong way. I could be extremely attracted to a woman, but if I find out she is married, she vanishes like a puff of smoke to me.

Woman: I have a husband

Me: WTF?! Where'd she go?!!!

Old 10-06-2017, 06:25 PM

622 posts, read 396,087 times
I'm in the court with those who say it depends on the people and situation. Some of us flirt playfully or even sarcastically with friends when we know they and their partners (and our own partners too) are okay with it. But if you aren't sure if all the people involved are okay with it, then don't do it. It's never good to hurt or offend someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships