Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 2,898 times

Advertisements

I have been with my current girlfriend for almost a year now, she is sweet and a very good person to be with when she is sober. Over the course of almost a year, we had numerous fights because she gets drunk and becomes a totally different person. She promised that they she will not do it again every time but always jumps back and forth every time. It is extremely stressful dealing with someone who is drunk and dont know what they are doing to someone else. She would apologize after a couple of days and we're back to together. But i do not know if this is the right person for me anymore. A great night out can change into a nightmare when she gets drunk. Have anyone had experience dealing with people like that before? Can i please get some advice...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 02:54 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,498,149 times
Advice?

Run very fast and far, don't look back. Ever.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:56 PM

20,777 posts, read 20,071,460 times
What he said ^^^

Old 12-15-2017, 03:02 PM

34,329 posts, read 18,700,067 times
Yes, I have dealt with it. My ex-wife was often a pretty mean person sober. She was either bipolar, Borderline, or both. She would drink using the excuse it would relax her so she could smoke cigarettes. She was really self medicating with alcohol. She would become a nice, charming, funny person for the first few hours. Then when she hit a certain point, she would become the meanest, most abusive ***** I ever saw. Maybe this is what you are dealing with, who knows.

Anyway, it is NOT a good sign. Please don't be an idiot like me an marry this girl. Get out now, and move on.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:06 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,388,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kianz View Post
I have been with my current girlfriend for almost a year now, she is sweet and a very good person to be with when she is sober. Over the course of almost a year, we had numerous fights because she gets drunk and becomes a totally different person. She promised that they she will not do it again every time but always jumps back and forth every time. It is extremely stressful dealing with someone who is drunk and dont know what they are doing to someone else. She would apologize after a couple of days and we're back to together. But i do not know if this is the right person for me anymore. A great night out can change into a nightmare when she gets drunk. Have anyone had experience dealing with people like that before? Can i please get some advice...

Thanks!
I feel bad for you..but do agree though that for some reason this girlfriend is capable to hide her inner demons while sober.. but once getting drunk, her actual true nature comes out!!

I've known personally and professionally that there are some who are " Happy Drunks and those actually become NASTY and aggressive" . Luckily, thru my career dealing with inebriated types, I learned very young there is a true difference.

Both my boys were Happy Drinkers, and become "Lover's and not fighters" They both loved everybody around them.. and avoided any nastiness type drunks... Even inebriated to knew who to avoid and who was similar

Nastiness often gets suppressed while sober ( IF that's their nature ) so I guess your GF pretty well tells the tale.. thus my condolences in this doomed relationship

Old 12-15-2017, 03:07 PM

8,925 posts, read 7,755,770 times
Dealing with a drunk.

Easy.

You don't.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:10 PM

52,408 posts, read 52,925,080 times
It can work if she's the kind of person that doesn't get hammered every time they have some booze. If she's ok with just a couple of glasses of wine or whatever and can be ok then it might be fine. If she's the kind that her aim is to get blasted when she has a few and if she gets means then I don't know.

If she's the latter I'd probably walk.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:20 PM

62,095 posts, read 87,829,074 times
If she is a good person, but can't deal with her addiction - I would help her go through counseling, 12 steps and whatever is needed to get her on a right track. If she really WANTS to get better.
If not - just leave, because your life isn't going to get any better, but will just spiral out of control. Dealing with an alcoholic is always very challenging, and most of the time not worth it especially at this early stage of your relationship.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 2,898 times
Thank you for the advice guys...
I have been thinking about leaving already, for a while.
I guess I should back up my thought with actions.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:49 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,182,039 times
There is no dealing with a drunk.

The alcohol is like another person that takes over, so you aren't even interacting with her real self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships