Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 12:55 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,808,438 times

Advertisements

I recently started talking to a guy off a dating site, and one of the things he said to me just struck me as pretty unreasonable for a 40 year old man to say, he told me:

"I don't want to date anyone who's been married or has kids, I am young enough to start a family of my own, I don't need anyone else's"

I happen to be 35, never married and no kids, however that is not common, and for him to think he's young enough to demand that every woman who comes across his way not have kids is a bit unreasonable in my opinion and makes me wonder if he just has unreasonable expectations of women general.

Do you guys agree or disagree?

Old 12-28-2017, 12:59 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
No. I ran into them all the time in Boston and SF without looking for them. It is just a preference that limits his pool, but everyone has that choice.

Most people I've had dates with in Providence in their late 30s and 40s also don't have kids, a couple had been married, but overall it seems more people have had kids and/or been married (less well educated area). The person I'm interested in was married and has two daughters. I don't care, but I'm also too old to start a family so its not an issue to me.

I don't know how common it is to have that on a profile as a guy (I don't look at em), but it isn't all that uncommon on profiles of women my age. Not the "don't ever have been married part", I can't recall that, but its fairly common to see "don't have kids" from women without kids, and its also fairly common to see "I'd prefer someone with kids" from someone who does have kids. No biggie either way.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:05 PM

336 posts, read 195,292 times
Theyre just dating preferences and everyone is entitled to have their own, no matter how reasonable or ridiculous. Smart guys will not purposely look to raise another mans kids, they would only raise their own - given the choice. Im in his age range and would also not date a single mother.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:06 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1981 View Post
Theyre just dating preferences and everyone is entitled to have their own, no matter how reasonable or ridiculous. Smart guys will not purposely look to raise another mans kids, they would only raise their own - given the choice. Im in his age range and would also not date a single mother.

Of course dating, even being in a serious relationship, with a single mother doesn't mean you'd be raising their kids. One does not automatically follow the other.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:10 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,898 times
Quote:
^THIS. For me being closer to 50 than 40, I can't afford to be this picky and would have no choice but to consider a woman with 1 or 2 kids. But at 40, he still has choices for sure.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:12 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
I recently started talking to a guy off a dating site, and one of the things he said to me just struck me as pretty unreasonable for a 40 year old man to say, he told me:

"I don't want to date anyone who's been married or has kids, I am young enough to start a family of my own, I don't need anyone else's"

I happen to be 35, never married and no kids, however that is not common, and for him to think he's young enough to demand that every woman who comes across his way not have kids is a bit unreasonable in my opinion and makes me wonder if he just has unreasonable expectations of women general.

l don't think that is unreasonable. Unlikely, yes, unreasonable, no.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,612 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:

He's not demanding that of "every woman he comes across" - he's demanding that of a woman he wants to spend the rest of his life with, and raise a family with. The "one".

Old 12-28-2017, 01:16 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,894 times
Quote:

What's the issue? You fit his criteria.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,612 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
I wouldn't use the term "smart", but rather, maybe "most" is a better word.

A "smart" man knows he can probably attract a woman above his normal league if he's open to being kind and supportive of her child.

A man who can't be gracious to another man's child is not going to make a good partner for a woman who is otherwise a real catch.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:18 PM

336 posts, read 195,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Of course dating, even being in a serious relationship, with a single mother doesn't mean you'd be raising their kids. One does not automatically follow the other.
I think what it guarantees though, is that you will never be #1 in her life. Of course, if the kids are grown up some and independent, then it doesnt matter as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships