Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:52 AM

639 posts, read 376,510 times

Advertisements

I wonder what the psychology is behind always having another initiate a conversation. I'm currently in a situation where the person I'm with just won't initiate. We've discussed this, and for some reason she states she does not initiate stating she does not want to be a "bother". Oddly enough she's criticized me for not communicating enough with her. I pointed out the hypocrisy.

I think there is a psychology game factor at play, but I can't place my finger on it.

Why on earth would someone never initiate conversation? what is the psychology behind it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 09:58 AM

497 posts, read 696,636 times
Sounds like she is either a very poor communicator or has zero interest in communicating with you. Both would be a deal-breaker for me. It could be a huge red flag that y'all are not compatible.

Do y'all have much in common? Can she engage in a fairly intelligent conversation? How is she with other people?

Edit: Just saw your other post. Since she was born in another country, this could be a cultural issue. Her communication style may reflect how she was raised and what she is used to.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
Sounds like she is either a very poor communicator or has zero interest in communicating with you. Both would be a deal-breaker for me. It could be a huge red flag that y'all are not compatible.

Do y'all have much in common? Can she engage in a fairly intelligent conversation? How is she with other people?
Strangely it's not that she can't have a conversation or that she is a poor communicator with other people. We have plenty in common.

I think it's more of a power thing or mind game defense mechanism to be honest. When asked, she states she doesn't want to be a "bother". I make sure she knows that she certainly isn't. When confronted early on in the relationship about not communicating enough with her, I pointed out the obvious that I am always the one that is to initiate the conversation, and that ultimately it takes two to communicate.

But here we are today and I still am the one initiating all conversations. When a prolonged period (a couple hours) goes by without my texting or calling, she gets dramatic and starts playing it off as I'm not interested or not caring or something.

Very very frustrating.

I believe somehow it is a type of defense mechanism or power play, but can't put my finger on why she can't be the one to even text "how's your day going" or whatever. I almost get the feeling that she's had a bad experience in the past with someone that stated she was a bother to her, but she hasn't opened up about that.

One thing I've grasped from her is that she is constantly concerned about if a separation were to occur being the 'innocent' party.

Of course it would all have to be painted as my fault. I think this has something to do with that thinking.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:07 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Som people need to needed more than they want give.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Som people need to needed more than they want give.
Interestingly, I don't think it's laziness on her part. I think there is some type of power trip or defense mechanism going on.

Would love to see if any one else has experienced this.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:21 AM

497 posts, read 696,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
When a prolonged period (a couple hours) goes by without my texting or calling, she gets dramatic and starts playing it off as I'm not interested or not caring or something.
So this is more about communicating via text/phone than when you are together?

Having to text someone throughout the day or call them every couple of hours is a bit too needy for me.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:24 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
Interestingly, I don't think it's laziness on her part. I think there is some type of power trip or defense mechanism going on.

Would love to see if any one else has experienced this.

Nope. I wouldn't have put up with her after we had a talk about it and she repeated it.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:10 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
It sounds like she's a good old-fashioned, straight out of the 90s Rules Girl.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
It sounds like she's a good old-fashioned, straight out of the 90s Rules Girl.

I'm so thankful I've never had to deal with any of those people. I wouldn't put up with it for a moment.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:31 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
That kind of relationship sounds exhausting.

Especially if this relationship is new, this is as good as it will ever get. Something to remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships