Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 06:03 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
How cynical. Why can’t this just be a beautiful love story?
I'd like to believe it & I hope it's a beautiful love story. Tell the OP to keep us posted in a year & let us know how the marriage has been going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 06:24 PM

124 posts, read 99,186 times
Maybe it is a Happily Ever After Love Story YET I think the OP is fine to read between the lines.
More information is needed: If the friend is very well off and the younger studmuffin is NOT there is a BIG motive here, and it seems odd to get married so quickly and after the cancer diagnoses.

Then again even IF that is the case he may genuinely care for her and it's a win/win for all involved.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:59 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,183 times
It could be a codependency issue. There could be unsavory motives. Or he could just love her. People on the internet are not close enough to the situation or the people involved to say.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Money involved somehow?

Old 01-19-2018, 10:22 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
1. How much "older"? This guy has TWO children...he's probably no babe in the woods.

2. The OP has turned around and said his shock is actually about the willingness to take on an ill partner regardless of age, but stresses age and looks significantly in the first post. OP, would this not be shocking if she started out hot?

3. "He can have anyone he wants..." If you think he's somehow settling because the woman is (gasp!) older, well, perhaps not. You've picked the poor sick woman apart, so what are the guy's faults? It may be a far more equal relationship than you're envisioning.

4. How the hell could it be about money when illness tends to be hella expensive? Even with insurance, there's generally a co-pay and there are caps...and we're talking cancer here.

5. If the woman were younger and she got with the much older guy even though he got incredibly sick, would there still be these ZOMG hands-to-cheeks-and-mouth-in-a-giant-O, "it must be for money"-type responses? Legitimate question. I mean maybe some people's answer to this will be "yes." So I'm asking.

6. If things went this quickly and the woman were "young and hot", would anybody be freaking out over how quickly they married? Or in that case would it just be a beautiful whirlwind romance? If not that latter, then why would it be weird that things happened the way they did for these two people, the way it might with any other two people?

Old 01-19-2018, 06:13 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
1. How much "older"? This guy has TWO children...he's probably no babe in the woods.

2. The OP has turned around and said his shock is actually about the willingness to take on an ill partner regardless of age, but stresses age and looks significantly in the first post. OP, would this not be shocking if she started out hot?

3. "He can have anyone he wants..." If you think he's somehow settling because the woman is (gasp!) older, well, perhaps not. You've picked the poor sick woman apart, so what are the guy's faults? It may be a far more equal relationship than you're envisioning.

4. How the hell could it be about money when illness tends to be hella expensive? Even with insurance, there's generally a co-pay and there are caps...and we're talking cancer here.

5. If the woman were younger and she got with the much older guy even though he got incredibly sick, would there still be these ZOMG hands-to-cheeks-and-mouth-in-a-giant-O, "it must be for money"-type responses? Legitimate question. I mean maybe some people's answer to this will be "yes." So I'm asking.

6. If things went this quickly and the woman were "young and hot", would anybody be freaking out over how quickly they married? Or in that case would it just be a beautiful whirlwind romance? If not that latter, then why would it be weird that things happened the way they did for these two people, the way it might with any other two people?
The bolded is more about the OP's values and worldview, or dating worldview, being challenged. It has nothing to do with the guy in question, who is listening to his heart. It sounds like maybe the woman got really lucky. Maybe literally a match made in heaven. SOMEbody was helping that woman out, watching over her, it seems...

Old 01-19-2018, 07:34 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
My friend who is 42 with 2 kids divorced her husband and met a younger very good looking man (also has 2 kids). She was diagnosed with cancer a few months later and she moved into his house as she went through intense chemo and was so sick. Became very skinny, lost her hair etc....he then married her and posts on Facebook that she is the most amazing person he has ever known and he loves her so much and she is the strongest person etc.....it all seems like some romantic/tear jerker movie. I want to really believe he is really that good of a guy. But it’s hard to believe there is really a young good looking guy who can have anyone, that would go through all of this for a women he had only know a short time?
I’d believe it... my MIL went through Breast cancer starting in her 40s and sadly is reaching the end of her fight nearly 15 years later. She’s an amazing person and if was single while going through this I’m sure she would have had plenty of suitors. Toughest person I’ve ever met!

Old 01-19-2018, 08:26 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
So we don't know the age of the man who took her into his house or apt after a couple of months of dating? Or his profession or job?

Old 01-19-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerz View Post
1. How much "older"? This guy has two children...he's probably no babe in the woods.

2. The op has turned around and said his shock is actually about the willingness to take on an ill partner regardless of age, but stresses age and looks significantly in the first post. Op, would this not be shocking if she started out hot?

3. "he can have anyone he wants..." if you think he's somehow settling because the woman is (gasp!) older, well, perhaps not. You've picked the poor sick woman apart, so what are the guy's faults? It may be a far more equal relationship than you're envisioning.

5. If the woman were younger and she got with the much older guy even though he got incredibly sick, would there still be these zomg hands-to-cheeks-and-mouth-in-a-giant-o, "it must be for money"-type responses? Legitimate question. I mean maybe some people's answer to this will be "yes." so i'm asking.

op?

Old 01-19-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
So we don't know the age of the man who took her into his house or apt after a couple of months of dating? Or his profession or job?
No.

And even without that knowledge - for all we know, the guy is 5 years younger - we have a nearly unilateral decision that this man is either codependent or a gold-digger. (That latter without knowing HER financial status, either.)

I still wonder if this story were about a young woman who was gorgeous, THEN got sick and the man swept her up and married her very quickly, would people be rallying about how beautiful a love story it was? But I may just be in "a mood." Still...yeah...I wonder.

I mean think of the movie Sweet November. Aww! Who wasn't moved by that movie? Yet THIS story? Gold digger guy! Or desperate. Because ZOMGOlderWomanNotHot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships