Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 02:55 PM

696 posts, read 905,680 times

Advertisements

I have used online dating or dating apps like tinder or bumble for 5 years or so and had no luck with it. I consider myself at least a decent looking guy. I feel like alot of women just use online dating or tinder for an ego boost and don't want to actually meet guys. For online dating women almost never respond to my messages, and on tinder I get matches but they usually don't respond to my messages or if they do it goes nowhere and they don't want to meet or give me their number. On bumble they match me but never message me. I wonder if guys are actually meeting women off these sites or apps? Have any men here actually had luck with online dating or apps and met women from it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 03:45 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,180,335 times
Well, if luck means actually meeting someone and going on a date, then yes - but it takes work.
Be prepared to send out dozens of well-crafted individualized messages and maybe get a handful of responses.
Meeting women IRL seems like a better idea and use of time (for me - YMMV).

Old 09-29-2017, 03:56 PM

888 posts, read 555,910 times
A guy friend of mine does online dating, he has luck with it. As in he does meet people and go on dates. I also have a few women friends who are doing online dating. It's not a million messages like everyone says it is. And some of the messages are borderline crazy. In fact I would say my guy friend has more dates with " normal" women, and my women friends are just meeting men who have no jobs or whatever the case may be ( and they are nice women with jobs, attractive, etc) My one friend just deleted her profile. Maybe it's the city I live in ( known for way more women then men)

Old 09-29-2017, 03:58 PM

720 posts, read 501,079 times
I made a post about my recent foray into online dating, but I haven't been using either of those sites. I was under the impression that Tinder was a hook-up app. I'd have been all over that in my 20s, but now I'm looking for something more substantial than a hook-up.

That said, I've some luck with online dating. A lot of luck, actually.

You may need to reconsider your goals with being on these apps. I can imagine there are a lot of women who get cold feet when it comes to hooking up with guys they meet online. Probably a lot of men, too.

Try a dating site where you have to pay. That way you know the people you meet are serious about meeting someone.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:07 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,235 times
It's a crapshoot.
I've done it on and off. It's netted me 3 brief relationships, 2 FWBs, and a couple of casual dates. I'm not saying it's for everyone...I've had more misses than hits.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:36 PM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Yes.

Do your filtering before trying to date.

Don't expect results on day one.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:45 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Well, if luck means actually meeting someone and going on a date, then yes - but it takes work.
Be prepared to send out dozens of well-crafted individualized messages and maybe get a handful of responses.
What is the single M:F ratio like in your opinion in SD? Just curious.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:51 PM

696 posts, read 905,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
A guy friend of mine does online dating, he has luck with it. As in he does meet people and go on dates. I also have a few women friends who are doing online dating. It's not a million messages like everyone says it is. And some of the messages are borderline crazy. In fact I would say my guy friend has more dates with " normal" women, and my women friends are just meeting men who have no jobs or whatever the case may be ( and they are nice women with jobs, attractive, etc) My one friend just deleted her profile. Maybe it's the city I live in ( known for way more women then men)
What city do you live in?

Old 09-29-2017, 04:57 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
Have any men here actually had luck with online dating?
Yes.
It's especially useful when traveling.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:55 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
For me, it's the opposite. I seem to be invisible to women IRL in a romantic sense. Either they are already in a relationship (which is not anyone's fault), not looking to date right now, or not into me.

While online dating apps, I've done decently. No long term relationship off it, but I've gone on quite amount of dates via it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships