Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 11:03 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times

Advertisements

I have a few friends age 50, never married. (One was married a couple of weeks but that doesn't really count, IMO). Would like to hear from people around this age range who never married, also. Are you happier single or would you still like to find a partner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 11:11 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,357,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I have a few friends age 50, never married. (One was married a couple of weeks but that doesn't really count, IMO). Would like to hear from people around this age range who never married, also. Are you happier single or would you still like to find a partner?
So did that couple get divorced after a few weeks? lol. I’ll be one of those people to never get married. Getting married isn’t in the cards for me. Blame it on my commitment issues and prefer to be on my own

Old 01-28-2018, 11:17 AM

564 posts, read 1,042,011 times
I'm 59. I haven't ever married. I was engaged once but had I married the guy, I would have ended up divorced. He was very controlling and used to put me down so I'm so glad I didn't marry him! In recent years, as I have seen couples and heard about others' stories in their marriages, I've come to the realization that I'm better off by myself. Yes, I'm alone, but I feel better being alone than in their situations. Would I still like to find a partner? Yes, but I'm not so sure I want marriage. At this point I'd like to find someone with mutual interests and values to spend time with.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:59 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,303,481 times
Not every person is meant or wants to be married.

Some people want to be alone while others are super social human beings.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:02 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Not every person is meant or wants to be married.

Some people want to be alone while others are super social human beings.

Different strokes for different folks.
This. I am over 60, never married. Was asked once, but the timing for both of us wasn't great because of our careers. It was the right decision. He is now married but all 3 of us are friends to this day. AFAIK there isn't a major reason why not, just circumstance, moving a lot for career, living in remote places, and pretty used to being on my own. I probably give off that self-sufficient-life-is-fine type vibe after all this time. If someone comes along, a partner to share life with would be great, but I'm not going to force it into being.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:11 PM

My over 50 friends want a companion but won't use online dating sites.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:55 PM

52,221 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Quote:
My over 50 friends want a companion but won't use online dating sites.
Why not?? In theory it seems like a good idea. Never tried it myself but I probably would be open to it. Got a buddy that recently met someone that way. He's 50.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
When my uncle was younger he had a few long term relationships, but they all ended when the women realized he was very serious about not wanting children; he did not want the responsibilities of being a father, and very much preferred cats and being our Fun Uncle. Then, just before he turned 51, he met a child-free woman who accepted all of that. They married a few months later (just a week after Mr.Mathlete and I married), and they’re now coming up on 18 years together.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Why not?? In theory it seems like a good idea. Never tried it myself but I probably would be open to it. Got a buddy that recently met someone that way. He's 50.
I have a male friend in his 50s, never married, but won't do online dating because he thinks "it's all scammers". I think he has potential in the dating pool, though. Many years ago, he told me he only wanted to date someone with a master's degree or higher. That could be part of his problem. Too picky.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:33 PM

52,221 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Quote:
I have a male friend in his 50s, never married, but won't do online dating because he thinks "it's all scammers". I think he has potential in the dating pool, though. Many years ago, he told me he only wanted to date someone with a master's degree or higher. That could be part of his problem. Too picky.
Masters degree? Lol, what an asinine requirement, but to each their own. He's ruling out a whole bunch of people that way. I think some people are just so fearful of getting hurt or involved with someone that they manufacture a whole lot of walls and roadblocks to sorta shield themselves from the messiness of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships