Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 02:50 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think you should be careful and not extend your personal fears to the general population. People overall tend to LIKE not being entirely alone (witness all of us here on a forum, for example, communicating and wanting interaction). It is not a fear but one quality of being a communal species....which we have been for comfortably over 2 million years now, and likely before that.

A truly antisocial animal will not approach potentially thousands or tend of thousands of others of its kind (as in on a forum) to announce, "i llke being left alone!" A truly antisocial animal will literally kill you if you come within a quarter mile of it. No questions asked.
I think you should be careful and not jump to conclusions about people are on the Internet you know nothing about and have never met.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I wrote an anti-Valentine Day article for my senior citizen complex newsletter. Everyone, both couples and singles, men and women, enjoyed it. Most people I know whether they have someone in their lives or not don't like Valentines Day men and women alike. They think it's too expensive, too commercial and too forced. Maybe for us it's an age thing because we are all over 60 but I remember thinking it was a stupid, contrived holiday when I was younger as did my friends regardless of gender or relationship status. So I don't think it's just men who dislike this silly holiday or singles or what have you.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Consider cats. Many people say cats are antisocial. But most cats enjoy social interactions, as long as it's on their terms. Friendly cats tend to be good sports about a new person petting them, if it's brief and not on the belly, although they'll rarely initiate a greeting. Not-so-friendly cats, on the other hand, will act like you describe: they'll hiss at any stranger who reaches over to pet them.
You never met my cat. The first thing she does when she meets a new human is roll over so they can rub her belly. And they don't stop until she tells them to which can be for an hour if she has her way. Cats, like people, are all different.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I wrote an anti-Valentine Day article for my senior citizen complex newsletter. Everyone, both couples and singles, men and women, enjoyed it. Most people I know whether they have someone in their lives or not don't like Valentines Day men and women alike. They think it's too expensive, too commercial and too forced. Maybe for us it's an age thing because we are all over 60 but I remember thinking it was a stupid, contrived holiday when I was younger as did my friends regardless of gender or relationship status. So I don't think it's just men who dislike this silly holiday or singles or what have you.
Too forced. You hit the nail on the head.

That's the problem with Valentines day. The only problem in my opinion.

People like feeling like they are making their own decisions on their own terms.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I think you should be careful and not jump to conclusions about people are on the Internet you know nothing about and have never met.
Just tying to help. You expressed fear, and used the word fear, so my guess was what you experience is...fear.

I know, those crazy assumptions again.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Too forced. You hit the nail on the head.

That's the problem with Valentines day. The only problem in my opinion.

People like feeling like they are making their own decisions on their own terms.
Yes, and thank God the men I've known have decided it is fun to celebrate. Because I love celebrations too. All kinds.

It is always a choice and decision. A fun one, in this case!

Old 03-31-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yes, and thank God the men I've known have decided it is fun to celebrate. Because I love celebrations too. All kinds.

It is always a choice and decision. A fun one, in this case!
I’ve always felt the gifts of flowers, candy or whatever on just any ordinary day for the reason of “just because” as in “just because” my guy choose that day to show his love or appreciation or feelings was far more special than receiving them on a day when everyone else was doing it. And vice versa for me to him.

For me it just has more meaning to celebrate this way. It’s more personal.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:47 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Since we brought up Cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBXNMoxx-tY

I'd take this as a V-day gift any day!

Old 04-01-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I’ve always felt the gifts of flowers, candy or whatever on just any ordinary day for the reason of “just because” as in “just because” my guy choose that day to show his love or appreciation or feelings was far more special than receiving them on a day when everyone else was doing it. And vice versa for me to him.

For me it just has more meaning to celebrate this way. It’s more personal.
I enjoy those as well.

It isn't one or the other, for me.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:15 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Since we brought up Cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBXNMoxx-tY

I'd take this as a V-day gift any day!
You!!
I'm not going to be able to get this out of my head today.😿
"she doesn't know who she is...la la la, LA la la la"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships