Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 01:32 PM

50,347 posts, read 47,088,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Wow someone gets it.

It may not have been a high end restaurant, it may have been an affordable restaurant with with just a few high end items on the menu. and thats part of the pressure men have dating these days, if he asked her to order in a price range chances are no second date.

That's because you were raised with manners.

Judging from the gay men I know personally I've noticed most of them are superficial in the ways most men are And in the way most women are AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Most wealthy people are like this, thats how they stay wealthy.

Your a good woman.

accurate.

Again accurate.

unless said woman's non-work related cloths are in the same condition as her kids.(yes there are people like that. )

Yes it does mean the woman is into money indirectly because basically it is the men who can afford the higher end of that menu that will have more dating opportunities as it seems the majority of women in my area feel the way you do on the subject. and even if she was not intentionally taking advantage of him it shows she has expensive or higher end tastes(which does not look good for the future).

in the words of Cee'Lo Green
"Now I know, that I had to borrow,
Beg and steal and lie and cheat.
Trying to keep ya, trying to please ya.
'Cause being in love with your a$$ ain't cheap."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc0mxOXbWIU
Best answer

Old 02-21-2018, 01:44 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,146,695 times
We never listened to the entire story. There is a possibility that the OP is a gold digger while the date is actually a gold mine.

Nowadays many girls make much more money than guys do. The date may be a doctor, lawyer, pharmacist, architect,....etc who earns 6-figures income. The OP may work part time in Walmart (given his mindset that he felt a punch in his wallet for the extra $30). The date may normally order dinner within that price range whenever she dines out.

Because the OP had insisted that he paid for that night, so the date didn't contribute. Most likely next time when they dine out, the date would pay the bill for both. By that time, OP can try to reciprocate (or retaliate) by ordering entree in a higher price range to see if the date judges him as a gold-digger.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:35 PM

34,940 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajulaDream View Post
This was right after I had ordered an $18 Halibut..So yeah. I didn't say anything to her as I wanted to be polite, but ouch that's a punch to my wallet.

Tonight was our first dinner together and she didn't offer to help pay the bill either. To be fair she did offer me a piece, and also it is Valentines and I am the one who asked her out. She was excited about going out too..

I'm torn on why the sticker shock is bugging me, I keep thinking about it. I feel like the date was fun and she is incredible in a lot of ways and I find her attractive.. but I'm kinda feeling put off a bit too about it...

I paid for the bill. My concern isn't that I paid. I'm glad to do something nice for her.
My concern is I feel she wasn't considerate at all, and it is weighing on my mind. I'm sorting out my feelings right now. I find her attractive in many ways, but that was a big turn off :/
Well, since you posted once and never returned, despite MANY pages of comments, I realize I'm just talking to the rest of the room here but...

Don't take a date someplace where you're not willing to pay for any of the entrees on the menu, should your date order one of them.

I do agree that people should probably not order the most expensive thing on the menu, but maybe she wasn't looking at prices?

Maybe she didn't realize that her entree cost that much more than yours?

Maybe she was excited that you asked her to a place that nice and she thought you'd want her to be able to choose?

So many possibilities here, but the one thing you can always do to keep the budget lower is to go to places where there's nothing on the entree menu you're not willing to pay for.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:14 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
You’re quibbling over $20-30 bucks. Normally I don’t go out of my way to defend today’s self entitled broads but get over this one and grow up.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I said very common for authentic Sushi restaurants.

Most of the Sushi restaurants in the 48 States are not authentic, Hawaii is close but still not. However, if you go to dine at Sushi restaurant in Tokyo or Osaka, unless you go to those robotic kind, otherwise the bill can easily run up to 10,000 Yen/person.

Of course, it is not common to eat this way every day.
Sure, but if you're in Tokyo (heck, most of Japan) you expect things to cost double (across the board) than they do most places here. When I'm in Tokyo I budget more than double for lodging and meals, or for show tickets, than I do in SF even. That tells one nothing. It's just a very pricey country. We're not talking about people doing that here though, and this wasn't every day, it was valentines day.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:20 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,985,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Sushi is gross.

Lobster is gross.

Coffee is...froggin' delicious.

JerZ. A cheap date since 1983.
Jesus how wrong you are... gas station or grocery store sushi as disgusting however proper sashimi is amazing. Uni FTW

Old 02-21-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure, but if you're in Tokyo (heck, most of Japan) you expect things to cost double (across the board) than they do most places here. When I'm in Tokyo I budget more than double for lodging and meals, or for show tickets, than I do in SF even. That tells one nothing. It's just a very pricey country. We're not talking about people doing that here though, and this wasn't every day, it was valentines day.
Generally things are cheaper in Tokyo as compared with San Francisco:
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...an&city2=Tokyo

In fact, if you calculate in Yen, many things in Japan are cheaper than what they were 20 years ago.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:57 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Generally things are cheaper in Tokyo as compared with San Francisco:
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...an&city2=Tokyo

In fact, if you calculate in Yen, many things in Japan are cheaper than what they were 20 years ago.

Nah, lived in SF, been to Tokyo several times, its much more expensive to eat, or see bands, buy records, etc. We aren't talking about cost of living, but going out, which is very different. Check out the per diem rates for Tokyo vs SF.

But you're trying to pull a true Scotsman argument with that "authentic" junk.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Nah, lived in SF, been to Tokyo several times, its much more expensive to eat, or see bands, buy records, etc. We aren't talking about cost of living, but going out, which is very different. Check out the per diem rates for Tokyo vs SF.

But you're trying to pull a true Scotsman argument with that "authentic" junk.
I go to Japan two times a year, so far at least 30 times. Other cities in East Asia, i.e. Singapore and Hong Kong, are much more expensive than Tokyo.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:40 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Again, no one said one can't spend an obscene amount on food. Anyone can, with any cuisine type, if they try. So what? I went to plenty of pretty nice sushi places when I lived in SF and never came close to spending $100 on myself (and I'm a 6' 200#+ dude). One has to really try to spend that.
This reminded me, a woman i know who is an Orthodox Jew told me that THE place to be seen in lower Manhattan is this steakhouse. I happened to pass it one day and stopped to read the menu.

There is sushi here, and I was amused at the price of the burger--and you can't get cheese on it becsuse it's a kosher restaurant.

LUNCH -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.