Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 08:08 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Sounds like you have a bias. or you are thinking of borderline personality disorder(which has not triggers it just happens), that's the difference between that and someone being bipolar.
No. I am quite familiar with bi-polar , all the way back in the days when it was called manic depressive
It's not bias, it's experience with many people with the condition, not one or two, many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 10:57 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
If they're not willing to see a therapist to discuss their issues or won't even admit they have issues, then no, it's not going to work. Trying to make it work is just a recipe for misery.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:32 PM

378 posts, read 230,292 times
OP, could you specify what mental illness you are refering to. I feel I maybe able to share somethings with you if you can do so.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:14 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
One going off of their meds because they "aren't happy every day" would be a good reason to avoid a relationship with one who's mentally ill, if possible. The purpose of medication is to help them feel and respond in an acceptable way. No one is happy every day, things don't go well every day, it's important to learn acceptable healthy ways to deal with that.

No one should know the person has a mental illness if they're taking their medication responsibly. Learning to "avoid other's triggers" sounds like the advice of an abusive husband.
You don't get my point the meds don't stop one from "being happy every day" they impede one from feeling happiness period. The way mood stabilizers work is that alter your brain chemistry so that the parts of your brain that regulate your emotions are (for lack of a better term) deadened. it does not cure the depression part, you just don't FEEL it as intensely, That's the benefit of the meds the downside is you don't feel any other emotion as intensely as you would otherwise including the good ones, like happiness, joy, love and passion. something that would normally make you feel a "yyyyiiiiiiipppeeee!!!!" on meds gives you a "meh .. that was kinda nice...." kinda feeling and while on meds it never goes beyond that.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:06 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
You don't get my point the meds don't stop one from "being happy every day" they impede one from feeling happiness period. The way mood stabilizers work is that alter your brain chemistry so that the parts of your brain that regulate your emotions are (for lack of a better term) deadened. it does not cure the depression part, you just don't FEEL it as intensely, That's the benefit of the meds the downside is you don't feel any other emotion as intensely as you would otherwise including the good ones, like happiness, joy, love and passion. something that would normally make you feel a "yyyyiiiiiiipppeeee!!!!" on meds gives you a "meh .. that was kinda nice...." kinda feeling and while on meds it never goes beyond that.
For a few years surrounding menopause I was on a "mood stabilizer" (Zoloft) and, although maybe it's not the same for everybody, I totally agree with you on this.
Thankfully, I was able to go off it but won't forget what it was like.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:42 PM

818 posts, read 456,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams2013 View Post
OP, could you specify what mental illness you are refering to. I feel I maybe able to share somethings with you if you can do so.

Thanks for that sweatdreams .
And thanks very much to all also, l'm just in the middle of absorbing things talked about here for a bit, l didn't realize Bipolar came under the same either sorry.

But yeah it's of the Borderline Personality Disorder as far as l can attain.

There's no way she'd see someone, ya won't be getting this car to the the mechanics, DIY all the way l'm afraid, and it's not easy stuff to describe , even to an expert.

Last edited by hawk101; 02-24-2018 at 04:53 PM..

Old 02-24-2018, 05:14 PM

378 posts, read 230,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk101 View Post
There's no way she'd see someone ya won't get this car to the the mechanics, and it's not easy stuff to describe , even to an expert.
I think a previous post of mine from another [URL="//www.city-data.com/forum/psychology/2803057-fear-self-loathing-trusting-your-gut.html#post49092863"]thread[/URL] can explain what's going on here. I know you were asking about the possibility of having a long happy relationship, but I think it's worth taking into account where your bpd-ish partner is mentally before drawing any conclusions.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
One thing I'd be concerned about is the reality that Borderline Personality Disorder comes with a fairly elevated suicide risk.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:51 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
One thing I'd be concerned about is the reality that Borderline Personality Disorder comes with a fairly elevated suicide risk.
It carries the highest risk of any mental disorder, 25% or something like that.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:02 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Being in any relationship (romantic or not) that has a large amount of uncertainty and friction associated to it is automatically harder to manage than one without.

It’s something you have to go in to accepting and willing to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships