Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 02:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,476,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Personally, I find the view that politics doesn't matter, or that who we vote for doesn't reflect our value system, to be moronic.
You can't possibly know the real reason each person votes for a particular candidate. One candidate represents very many issues. You can't know which issue they are honing in on.

Unless you are psychic. Are you psychic?

There is no perfect candidate. There is no candidate where everyone can agree on everything they support. But sometimes we have to overlook some of the things we disagree with to get to the important things we do agree with.

EVERYONE does this, including you. Dems, repiblicans, libertarians, anarchists, independents, etc...we are all overlooking something in someone's position so that we can focus on the thing that we think is important.

Since you can't possibly know what the issue is that they are supporting unless they tell you, then it is moronic to think you can judge them as a person based on who they voted for.

Now, if somebody tells you they voted for Trump because they hate colored people, want to bomb China, and want everyone to have an AR15, then you can probably make a couple of assumptions about their character. But it's not the Trump. It's the why.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:22 PM

983 posts, read 2,777,862 times
I wouldn't be married to someone of the opposite political party as me because we would not be compatible as human beings and our values and belief systems would be too different.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:54 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,476,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
I wouldn't be married to someone of the opposite political party as me because we would not be compatible as human beings and our values and belief systems would be too different.
This is the divisive claptrap we've been sold in order to polarize the country so no one works together anymore.

The other side is stupid and evil, don't you know?

Old 03-27-2018, 02:55 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,311,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I probably wouldn't date someone who's identity is tied to their political beliefs and they feel as if there part of a side or team where everything on their side is right and everyone on the other side is wrong and evil.

That seems to be what politics has turned into these days..no more thinking through things it seems people are now so hell bent on being on one side and looking at the other side as the enemy that that blindly side with anything their side/team agrees with..

sorry for the rant lol
Same here. I'm as non-partisan as they come, and look at issues in terms of problems and solutions rather than Democrat/Republican, Liberal/Conservative, Blue/Red, etc., etc. Ideally I'd find myself matched with someone who feels the same, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker as long as she wasn't too radical in either direction.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:56 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is the divisive claptrap we've been sold in order to polarize the country so no one works together anymore.

The other side is stupid and evil, don't you know?

Couldn't agree more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-28-2018, 09:07 AM

52,375 posts, read 52,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Has a politician/party ever been someone who completely represents your beliefs? I have never found that to be the case.

For example I was in SF during Dios de la Muerte, my sister and I were all dressed up. We shared a table with 3 people, 1 gay guy, on hetero and a girl from Argentina. We started talking and politics came up, and I mentioned I am Republican. There friendliness slammed shut, you could SEE it. Then I explained why, and that on social issues I do NOT agree with them, etc. and they were fine.

I've long since said similar thoughts. No one party represents a huge amount of people. I'm not registered with either party but as of the last few years I find that the repubs are a bit better on fiscal issues and while I don't subscribe to some of the more socially conservative stuff I find that the repubs are a tad more sane these days. The dems have gone off the deep end the last several years, way too nutty and the wacky far left progressive influences are taking too much of a hold. They ain't the dems of 30 plus years ago, that's for sure.

So.... it's always that way in terms of what you get in a group, it's like all or nothing baby, it would make more sense to have more than two major parties here.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:46 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
And I think the Rep's have lost their ever loving minds, and the Dems have completely lost touch with the people. I think they all lie, but only if they are speaking... or writing....

I do find that most people, at least those I socialize with, are pretty reasonable about this stuff. I have friends on both sides, but I do find if I meet someone who is rabidly extreme, I have no interest in becoming friends. With my friends, we can discuss the different sides without arguing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-28-2018, 11:00 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,231,033 times
As a Buddhist, humanist liberal, I don't think I could date/marry a conservative.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:18 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,058,884 times
Quote:
You can't possibly know the real reason each person votes for a particular candidate. One candidate represents very many issues. You can't know which issue they are honing in on.

Unless you are psychic. Are you psychic?.

No, I'm not psychic, but there are loads of candidates that there are absolutely no reason to vote for. Ever.

Quote:
There is no perfect candidate. There is no candidate where everyone can agree on everything they support. But sometimes we have to overlook some of the things we disagree with to get to the important things we do agree with.

EVERYONE does this, including you. Dems, repiblicans, libertarians, anarchists, independents, etc...we are all overlooking something in someone's position so that we can focus on the thing that we think is important.

Since you can't possibly know what the issue is that they are supporting unless they tell you, then it is moronic to think you can judge them as a person based on who they voted for.

Now, if somebody tells you they voted for Trump because they hate colored people, want to bomb China, and want everyone to have an AR15, then you can probably make a couple of assumptions about their character. But it's not the Trump. It's the why.

It IS the Trump. Even if a person doesn't agree with Trump on everything, or because of those other reasons you listed, the reality is the stuff he has done DID NOT PREVENT THEM from voting for them. As in, his racism, his xenophobia, his misogyny, his sexual assaults, his mocking disabled people, DID NOT disqualify him as a candidate. There is no way on this living earth that I would ever kiss such a person.

And yes, I don't like either party, we have far far right party, and a center right party, and it just stinks, but I'm not dating someone that supports the far right party, ever.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:36 PM

25,456 posts, read 9,854,196 times
I have friends on both sides of the spectrum and we don't talk politics. However, I couldn't be married to someone who was the polar opposite politically from me. Because it's not just politics. It's how I view life and what my priorities are. So it would be a deal breaker for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships