Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sapiosexual?
Yes 5 16.13%
No 4 12.90%
What’s that? 22 70.97%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:28 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Over the years I've heard women say this same basic sentiment and I just don't get it. I don't think I've ever once in my life heard a man echo this.

It's a completely foreign concept to me. Just over the years I've seen women that just have that perfect combination of things that really stir the ol bones, ya know what I mean? I ain't thinking about her GPA or her SAT scores or her thoughts on Nietzsche at that point if you follow me??

I will concede that that same woman can instantly become a humpbacked troll if she opens her mouth and ugliness comes out. I will admit that for sure.
Lol, I totally do not get the quote/unquote man’s side. I feel like if I see someone attractive, I just do not know enough about them to want to have sex with them. :P

I have to interact with you in some way or another to build the attraction.

I guess a pro to online dating, you get to see something in a person’s own words who they think they are.

I can think of some specific people. I remember there was this guy in college that my friend’s and I thought was really cute. We used to go to events hoping he’d be there. Eventually our stalking worked and I talked to him at an event. He was one of the most boring people I had ever met in my life. He was attractive, but all interest fizzled out completely.

On the up note, I met his bff at some point. And while technically his bff was “less attractive,” he had so much charisma and we had so much to talk about, I ended up going out with him. He statted off as a guy with a great smile and turned super hot after spending 2 hours talking to him. That is always how it goes for me.

On a similar vein, I met a guy who had a great smile, but I thought was too skinny. I talked to him for 5 minutes, it was so easy to talk to him. And he zoomed to the top of the list. Wouldn’t have thought he was hot without the conversation.

I guess for me everyone starts as lukewarm until proven otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 10:33 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
Just another silly label. Simply seek out someone whose attributes turn you on, whatever they may be. I would find it laughable if someone declared to me - in person or via a dating profile - that he was "sapiosexual." I am drawn to intelligent, articulate men, but if a man labeled himself thusly I would walk away and not look back.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:34 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
I've commented around here pretty often about how a man's intelligence is my sexual/romantic kryptonite, but if he CALLED me a sapiosexual or if he dated me for my head and called HIMSELF a sapiosexual, eeew. No.

So pretentious.

Hard pass. Just give me the intelligence, without the adorbs, kitschy, "wow...I'm so smart because I know 'sapio' has to do with intelligence...I mean who else KNOWS that? Wink wink, the two of us are in the know" nickname. Blah.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:01 AM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Lol, I totally do not get the quote/unquote man’s side. I feel like if I see someone attractive, I just do not know enough about them to want to have sex with them. :P

I have to interact with you in some way or another to build the attraction.

I guess a pro to online dating, you get to see something in a person’s own words who they think they are.

I can think of some specific people. I remember there was this guy in college that my friend’s and I thought was really cute. We used to go to events hoping he’d be there. Eventually our stalking worked and I talked to him at an event. He was one of the most boring people I had ever met in my life. He was attractive, but all interest fizzled out completely.

On the up note, I met his bff at some point. And while technically his bff was “less attractive,” he had so much charisma and we had so much to talk about, I ended up going out with him. He statted off as a guy with a great smile and turned super hot after spending 2 hours talking to him. That is always how it goes for me.

On a similar vein, I met a guy who had a great smile, but I thought was too skinny. I talked to him for 5 minutes, it was so easy to talk to him. And he zoomed to the top of the list. Wouldn’t have thought he was hot without the conversation.

I guess for me everyone starts as lukewarm until proven otherwise.

This seems to be the more typical woman point of view and I think that that is fine. I think there's lots of reasons why more women than men are wired that way. I eluded to it earlier in a post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Just another silly label. Simply seek out someone whose attributes turn you on, whatever they may be. I would find it laughable if someone declared to me - in person or via a dating profile - that he was "sapiosexual." I am drawn to intelligent, articulate men, but if a man labeled himself thusly I would walk away and not look back.

I agree, it does seem silly, but to young people the over 45 set are a bunch of fuddy duddies so who knows. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I've commented around here pretty often about how a man's intelligence is my sexual/romantic kryptonite, but if he CALLED me a sapiosexual or if he dated me for my head and called HIMSELF a sapiosexual, eeew. No.

So pretentious.

Hard pass. Just give me the intelligence, without the adorbs, kitschy, "wow...I'm so smart because I know 'sapio' has to do with intelligence...I mean who else KNOWS that? Wink wink, the two of us are in the know" nickname. Blah.

I like intelligence, I really do I think it has tremendous value.

I just don't like it when people lead with it. They identify with it too much, if that makes any sense.

When people do identify too much with their or other's intelligence they can slip into the same "shallow" category as those who value physical or whatever.

Same beast, different name.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:26 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,750 times
Sapiosexual does not mean I like people who are smart.

If that's how you're using it, there's some bad news waiting for you.

Quote:
It's a completely foreign concept to me. Just over the years I've seen women that just have that perfect combination of things that really stir the ol bones, ya know what I mean? I ain't thinking about her GPA or her SAT scores or her thoughts on Nietzsche at that point if you follow me??

I will concede that that same woman can instantly become a humpbacked troll if she opens her mouth and ugliness comes out. I will admit that for sure.
For me, intelligence can certainly be a plus as well as a minus.

More intelligent discussions means more attraction

Old 03-09-2018, 11:51 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,536,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So now that I am dipping my toe into online dating, I am noticing there are a lot of sapiosexuals. Where on earth did this come from?

Are you a sapiosexual?
LOL, seriously? Okay, I'm an old married woman, but I've always had a thing for intelligent men. Do people have a thing for dummies? "stultusexual" ?
I'm also attracted to a good sense of humor...Hey! I'm a "jestersexual" y'all, and my preferred pronoun is incessant giggling.

Sorry, couldn't resist. My fuddy duddy mind boggles.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:52 AM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Sapiosexual does not mean I like people who are smart.

If that's how you're using it, there's some bad news waiting for you.

For me, intelligence can certainly be a plus as well as a minus.

More intelligent discussions means more attraction

You're splitting hairs here. I was simply condensing it down to basics.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:59 PM

20,366 posts, read 14,640,743 times
Regarding the pretentiousness and the making intellectualism your identity thing...

Well yes, but I also wouldn't be into a guy who made his workout routine the thing he "leads" with, telling me on a date how much he can lift...ugh... Nor a woman who was so obsessed with her beauty that she pinned her identity on that, nor anyone who takes any facet of themselves and uses it to try and elevate them to a "I'm better than most people" status. There is a nice balance between the person with no self esteem, and the arrogant one with no humility, where you can be...like...a normal person... That's pretty good.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Regarding the pretentiousness and the making intellectualism your identity thing...

Well yes, but I also wouldn't be into a guy who made his workout routine the thing he "leads" with, telling me on a date how much he can lift...ugh... Nor a woman who was so obsessed with her beauty that she pinned her identity on that, nor anyone who takes any facet of themselves and uses it to try and elevate them to a "I'm better than most people" status. There is a nice balance between the person with no self esteem, and the arrogant one with no humility, where you can be...like...a normal person... That's pretty good.
The thing is, bright people don't have to "lead with" "I'm bright." You can tell from the first few sentences.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
I like intelligence, I really do I think it has tremendous value.

I just don't like it when people lead with it. They identify with it too much, if that makes any sense.

When people do identify too much with their or other's intelligence they can slip into the same "shallow" category as those who value physical or whatever.
I remember having a really interesting chat with a guy I was dating about compliments.

It seems (in my head at least) he made so many comments about my physical attributes. I found it so odd. So he called me on it, he was like you aren’t very comfortable about me commenting on your body. It seems like you’d rather have brain comments. Good observation on his part.

I replied it was a two fold - perception of my looks don’t really play into my identity at all. I get called cute sometimes and that is the end of my perception of looks. I also have gotten comments about my brain far more often. Or my high energy and cheerful disposition. Since it isn’t a lens I use to think about myself, I don’t think about it as a lens other people would use to bucket me either. So it was weird to me that seemed to be his focus. Which lead to him thinking I was uncomfortable with it.

And it made me wonder about how people turn out if they were only validated based on their looks. And they formed their identiy on it. What happens when those go away? Do they find a new form of identity or do they seem lost when they get older?

I guess a pro for sapiosexuals, no matter what happens physically, odds are the basis of your attraction will remain for the long haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships