Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 07:03 AM

48 posts, read 35,270 times

Advertisements

I hate to be the one throwing cold water here, but have you considered that perhaps the child is not yours? That might explain some of these seemingly unusual lines of reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 08:23 AM

2,457 posts, read 3,229,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think it's very rare that a woman has a desire to have her baby have her name. Not very many women name a daughter after themselves - I've only known two - and both are extremely self-centered high maintenance women. I would call them both narcissistic, actually.

It's pretty common for men to want a "jr." to follow in his footsteps.
They're talking about last names, not first.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:33 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 29 days ago)

35,774 posts, read 18,122,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
They're talking about last names, not first.
Yes, I do understand that.

I'm just saying that it's common for a man to want his child to have his name, even first AND last. In this case, OP only wants the child to have his last name, which I think he's right in asking.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:38 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,044,069 times
Give the child your name as middle name.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:47 AM

10,508 posts, read 7,085,809 times
I know a couple like that. She kept her name and she wanted her baby to have her name. The husband's last name is L-i-f-s-h-i-t-z. Can't say as I blame her.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:48 AM

36,765 posts, read 31,025,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, I do understand that.

I'm just saying that it's common for a man to want his child to have his name, even first AND last. In this case, OP only wants the child to have his last name, which I think he's right in asking.
Why? I've never understood why unmarried women give their child the father's surname.
If he wants the child to have his name he needs to give it to the mother first.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:52 AM

102,271 posts, read 108,324,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdoug83 View Post
Real quick. Both mid 30s. No kids. Been dating 8 months. Things are great. In love. She’s 8 weeks pregnant. Unexpectedly. I plan to marry her. She told me baby will take her name. She won’t budge on this. I feel like this is disrespectful to me and a slap in the face. She says if we marry we can change it later. My thing is that I will always be the father and in the picture. Paying for tings etc. so it should have my name. To me the only reason a woman should do this is if the dad is a deadbeat and not in the picture. And she once told me that if she had a kid before marriage she would never get married because she thinks her body will never look the same. She’s very particular about her body. So I’m afraid she won’t marry me and my child would never have my name. If she doesn’t trust me that I’ll marry her why should I trust her to say yes. As man always wanting kids I always thought of them having my name. Anybody with experience with this what are your thoughts?

Thanks
Offhand it sounds to me like she plans for you to be a sperm donor, only. If you're serious, why not marry her now? And the argument about her body no longer being attractive after having a baby is either ignorant, or just an excuse she's using. Many women get back into shape after giving birth; it's normal, nowadays.

This doesn't look good, OP. It doesn't bode well. Do you even know for sure if the pregnancy was an accident? It might have been her choice, behind the scenes. We don't know the circumstances.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-03-2018 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 08:59 AM

8,446 posts, read 4,769,971 times
You're having a baby with this woman without knowing about this beforehand? Have you had the hyphenated name after marriage discussion yet?

Get to know someone before procreating with them, folks!

At this point you're stuck. Get a paternity test. Maybe you'll get lucky and the kid won't be yours and you can back out and try again with someone else...after you get to know her better!

Old 04-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 29 days ago)

35,774 posts, read 18,122,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why? I've never understood why unmarried women give their child the father's surname.
If he wants the child to have his name he needs to give it to the mother first.
He wants to, apparently, but she doesn't because she won't rock the wedding dress right now.

But yeah, I agree, if the dad was refusing to marry her and raise the baby, don't give the baby his name.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:03 AM

102,271 posts, read 108,324,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I know a couple like that. She kept her name and she wanted her baby to have her name. The husband's last name is L-i-f-s-h-i-t-z. Can't say as I blame her.
Normally, the couple solves that problem together; they create a new surname out of elements of each of theirs, or they choose a different surname altogether, or decide together to both take her surname. It's not usually a decision made unilaterally by one member of the couple. Couples normally are about teamwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships