Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stainless steel and cubic zirc engagement/wedding ring?
I'm a woman, and I'd be fine with it. 20 42.55%
I'm a woman. I wouldn't be upset, but I'd like something a little more special. 7 14.89%
I'm a woman. I'd be upset, but I'd negotiate for something more special. 4 8.51%
I'm a woman. The relationship probably wouldn't survive this. 3 6.38%
I'm a man, and I'd be fine with it. 12 25.53%
I'm a man. I wouldn't be upset, but I'd like something a little more special. 0 0%
I'm a man. I'd be upset, but I'd negotiate for something more special. 0 0%
I'm a man. The relationship probably wouldn't survive this. 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 11:15 AM

5,457 posts, read 4,070,431 times

Advertisements

it's not a fake diamond, it's a real CZ! ;-) Do CZ's lose value after purchase like diamonds do?

I just have a plain gold band, no engagement ring. Married for 37 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 11:30 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,250,199 times
Less expensive would be fine with me but I would not be happy with a fake.

I love this designer's jewelry and could quite happily pick out something beautiful and reasonably priced.

https://www.metalicious.com/

Old 06-07-2018, 12:58 PM

983 posts, read 2,776,567 times
None of the above. I don't buy into the engagement ring tradition, period.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:59 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,632,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
None of the above. I don't buy into the engagement ring tradition, period.
But they’re so sparkly and pretty!

Old 06-07-2018, 01:10 PM

188 posts, read 203,544 times
I voted "I'm a woman, and I'd be fine with it" because the symbolism of an expensive/fancy ring doesn't mean anything to me. I'm pragmatic and would prefer to put the money toward paying off a house, putting into retirement savings, getting car repairs, replacing old kitchen appliances, etc. I feel the same way about weddings. I don't want a bridal shower, bachelorette party, or big ceremony and celebration. I think the ideal wedding is going to the courthouse to get whatever legal papers done and a dinner with my closest family and friends.

I really just wouldn't want a ring at all since I don't wear jewelry. If someone proposed to me with a ring then I'd question how well they knew me and if we'd really be compatible if they'd waste money on something like that.

If people want to get expensive rings and have big weddings, I'm fine with that--just don't complain to me about how much it's costing and how stressful it is. :/

Old 06-07-2018, 01:28 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,235,780 times
Unless someone can prove to me differently, the cubic zirconia part would be, to me, unacceptable since any I have ever seen simply look like obviously fake diamonds and are bought, usually LARGE, so they're only for people who want to...or think they are...impressing whoever else sees them.
I'd rather a ring with a smaller or no stone than a phony one or none at all.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:34 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,044,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
No, because I already have a house and there’s no need for a college fund, so buy a REAL diamond.
Amen to this...I wanted the real deal

Old 06-07-2018, 02:16 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,714,108 times
My particular thing is uniqueness. Not expense. Something with some provenance, like it belonged to one of his ancestors or relatives would be awesome. Or something unusual and preferably made of silver.

I most definitely would not prefer something bought new that is an imitation of something I don't even like when it is "real." I don't like diamonds, real or fake.

So given that...I answered "I'm a woman, wouldn't be upset, prefer something more special."

But special doesn't mean costly.

I agree with saving money. I WOULD be upset, possibly to the point of ending the relationship even, if my partner bought me an insanely expensive diamond ring. Because I would think he'd robbed a bank or taken leave of his senses, and at the very least he's ignoring literally every single thing I've ever said on the subject and should know me far better by then. Luckily I don't think I'm in danger of having to deal with such, as something I respect and love in my dude is his financial wisdom and frugality.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:18 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,600,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
"My relationship wouldn't survive this"???

I am not a fan of fakes, but I also believe a ring should be meaningful to the couple above all. If the composition they like happens to be a cheap material, that's fine. If a person prefers a diamond, the ring should be a diamond. I think the couple should talk it over and choose what works for them and their budget, just like every other decision they will face in their marriage.

Right now I'm crushing on the raw gemstone trend:

https://www.google.com/search?q=raw+...h=505&dpr=1.88

I also like those silicone wedding bands for men. They seem practical for people who work with their hands a lot.

I also am not a fan of public polls.
Those are gorgeous! I have never seen raw gemstone jewelry before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Less expensive would be fine with me but I would not be happy with a fake.

I love this designer's jewelry and could quite happily pick out something beautiful and reasonably priced.

https://www.metalicious.com/
I like these, too.

As for the original question, I would much rather have something genuine and unique, even if it's not expensive, than an imitation of what's "traditional." Look up the history of diamond engagement rings sometimes. They have not always been the universal standard, that's just marketing, and millions of couples fall for it every year.

So, no, I wouldn't insist on a real diamond, but I would infinitely prefer a real SOMETHING, not because it's costly, but because it's...you know...real. Wearing a fake diamond, other than obvious costume jewelry, would make me feel like I was pretending to be something I am not, just to live up to other people's expectations. I would not end a relationship over it, but I would wonder if the ring was about keeping up appearances, rather than getting something less obvious, but more suited to my own taste.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 06-07-2018 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 03:21 PM

777 posts, read 453,444 times
I would only care if I was lied to, if the ring was presented to me as if it were the real thing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships