Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 04:30 PM

102,223 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Of course I knew you would say that. Just commenting that landlines have perfect reception, and landlines are excellent for carrying on enjoyable conversations and longer conversations which can enhance and develop relationships.
I agree. The same goes for friendships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 04:36 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,947,579 times
By the way, thanks everyone for allowing me to vent and help clear my head for the next steps.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:44 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Yes, I paid for his ticket to Europe for our holiday this year. I'm hoping that the travelling will open his mind, inspire him and motivate him more.
I think you're trying to make him into what you want him to be. Even if you don't say anything, he feels it. And eventually both of you will be resentful of each other. He is less ambitious and/or comes from a different background than you. He has to want something different. It doesn't sound like he does. And it sounds like you don't really accept that and would like to make him into what you want him to be so that you don't have to go through the process of looking for another guy who's more compatible.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think you're trying to make him into what you want him to be. Even if you don't say anything, he feels it. And eventually both of you will be resentful of each other. He is less ambitious and/or comes from a different background than you. He has to want something different. It doesn't sound like he does. And it sounds like you don't really accept that and would like to make him into what you want him to be so that you don't have to go through the process of looking for another guy who's more compatible.
There is truth here but it's tricky when he presents himself as progressive and ambitious but doesn't follow through and then later on I start to see it's not really there even tho he has a lot of potential. I feel confused because when we first met, he complained about his ex not being progressive, there was no change so he left. But now he seems like her. He told me how hard it is to find a "strong independent woman" but he can't even keep up.

So I was being supportive of who I thought he was (due to false advertising) but now it's like I'm trying to make him something he's not?

Old 06-13-2018, 04:51 PM

102,223 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
There is truth here but it's tricky when he presents himself as progressive and ambitious but doesn't follow through and then later on I start to see it's not really there even tho he has a lot of potential. I feel confused because when we first met, he complained about his ex not being progressive, there was no change so he left. But now he seems like her. He told me how hard it is to find a "strong independent woman" but he can't even keep up.
Interesting. I can see why you've drawn the conclusions you have.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:57 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
progressive can have various meanings and definitions. would be interested in what his and your definitions are - besides a strong independent woman.

not having a car and living without a car can be seen as progressive

Old 06-13-2018, 05:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Personally, most people I know don't have landlines, only seems to be the older generation that own homes.
In my area, it is cheaper to bundle internet/cable/telephone than to just have internet & cable. Although, I have to admit that I never attached a phone so I would have a landline since my last move (the phone is still in an unpacked box), but it is still cheaper than if I dropped the phone option. BTW, I live in an apartment.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:34 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Then maybe you guys are meant for each other, doesn't sound like anything will be changing anytime soon. You probably wouldn't know how to act or what to do if you find a guy with a car, motivated and with a good job. That would be too much for you to process at one time, you wouldn't know what to do with yourself. But, it wont be a bad problem to have either. You are not going anywhere, you just wanted to vent, I get that.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Then maybe you guys are meant for each other, doesn't sound like anything will be changing anytime soon. You probably wouldn't know how to act or what to do if you find a guy with a car, motivated and with a good job. That would be too much for you to process at one time, you wouldn't know what to do with yourself. But, it wont be a bad problem to have either. You are not going anywhere, you just wanted to vent, I get that.
Says who? How do you know I didn't have that before? Hence why I'm complaining now?

Old 06-13-2018, 08:13 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 392,983 times
Quote:
Says who? How do you know I didn't have that before? Hence why I'm complaining now?
Where I live it's sort of different because you have to bring your own bags to the grocery store, you're not allowed to let your car idle for more than 5 minutes or you'll get a ticket, and driving is frowned upon. So people who don't have cars are actually seen as the more eco conscious people. Have you ever seen an overweight person who bikes to work everyday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships