Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 12:52 PM

36 posts, read 27,170 times

Advertisements

Over a year ago, I was sitting in a doctor's waiting room, casually leafing through a magazine. Suddenly, I was drawn to an article about a successful architect in California, and I got a shock. There he was, the man I had loved so much 40 years ago, my first real love! The tall, blond, charming boy from a well-to-do family who had shown an interest in me, the not-so-pretty, not-so-smart poor country girl. We were both 20 years old, and that was all we had in common. I looked up to him, and poured all my hopes for a better life into him.
I was so shy I never told him how much I cared for him though.
Perhaps that's why he walked away after only a few months together, or perhaps he realized I was not the one for him, and lost interest. I'll never know.
What I know though is that it took me about two years to recover from the loss and the pain. I never heard from him again. That was so long ago now.
When internet came, I tried finding him out of curiosity, see what he was doing, if he was married, but never did, and perhaps that was just as well.

Eventually I moved on, went to university, travelled, met some other boys, married one. My husband and I had some really beautiful years together. He is a caring and gentle person and I would never want to hurt him.
Still, we soon slowly but surely started to drift apart.
We both lost our jobs in 2008 when our company went bust. We started our own, but didn't do well at all and things are pretty hard at the moment moneywise.
Also, we didn't have children, and it feels empty and lonely in our house. We seem to live separate lives under the same roof today, and we sometimes have bitter conversations. I am not even sure we love each other any more.

Then I see this article in the magazine at the doctor's, and the past I had thought buried for ever suddenly jumps at me, and with it the pain and the regrets.
The photograph in the corner shows a still good-looking man with a beautiful wife at his side, four smiling grown-up children and possibly their grandchildren around them. They are sitting in front of a beautifully-designed house, most probably his work.
For me it was too much to bear! I remained in a state of shock for several days.

Now I think about him every day. I don't sleep much at night, imagining hypothetical encounters, conversations with him alone, wondering if he remembers me and how. The funny thing though is that I know my love for him is dead now, and I am definitely certain I don't want a relationship of any kind with him. It's just that he represents all I wanted from life and never got. It's like a poor kid staring at the bright Christmas decorations in a shop window, he just can't turn away.
I can't turn away, I just can't get this man out of my head, and the pain and the regrets don't seem to go away.
Sometimes I wonder if seeing him again and hearing his voice could break the spell, I don't know. And I feel pathetic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 01:00 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Well, all I can say, get over it and be content with your life which sounds pretty nice to me. Seeing him again in my opinion would be of no help, why put yourself thru more?

Old 09-13-2018, 01:21 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Let me guess.... you're married?

Old 09-13-2018, 01:22 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
The circumstances you describe (including the nostalgia for long-ago loves) are textbook indicators that you are ripe for an affair. Be careful.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:45 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
ah, the woulda' coulda' shoulda' lost opportunities in life …

and dreaming about "what might have been".

maybe it could have worked out way back when. maybe it wouldn't have.

giving any energy to those lost opportunities now after 40 years is a total looser.

You'd be far better off to put your energy into improving your current situation. Or, if you can't do that, it's time to "move on" with your life.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
We all have our what ifs. He is one of yours. And one thing about that article...believe it or not, his life isn't perfect either. You would be much better off looking for more joy in your own life! Do something that will serve YOU well. This guy is just a fantasy.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Your subconscious is trying to cover up the tremendous pain you're feeling about your unhappy marriage with obsessive thoughts about your past.

I would really try hard to work on your marriage. Focus your thoughts on that. Don't allow yourself to fantasize about the other guy.

Try to re-engage your husband.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:27 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,712,863 times
This sounds like a Lifetime movie plot.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:51 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
You could come here every few months and whine about it

Old 09-13-2018, 03:55 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Let me guess.... you're married?
Let me guess... You didn't read her post? ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships