Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 05:17 PM

19,805 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

Board games are good, but my husband and I have a date night once a week at home with wine, hot artisan rolls, grapes, salami and an assortment of cheeses accompanied by lit candles and a romantic movie. (Or, if we are feeling more casual, pizza and a fun movie.)

We are in our 60's, btw, so although doing all this with him in some sexy briefs and me in some risque lingerie was good about 30 years ago -- but alas! -- not a good idea these days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 07:10 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
I second the ideas about cooking a nice meal together (with a favorite album playing), charcuterie & wine, games, picnics. Pizza night. Here are some more ideas. Most of the following will feel more like a date with the addition of good music playing, mood lighting, and adult beverages. Mocktails, if you prefer.

-Pizza night BUT you make the pizza together. It's not very difficult to do. We buy raw pizza dough from an Italian bakery.

-Sushi/sashimi platter for two (take-out). Not totally inexpensive, but cheaper than having sushi out. They run about $60 in my area. And are so fun to eat at home!

-Billiards, Darts, Foosball if you have it.

-Buy a cheap ping pong set where you can turn a dining room table into a ping pong table.

-Indoor fire / patio fire if you have it. Make s'mores.

-Get a set of poker chips (or use small change), play poker for very small stakes or prizes ("whoever wins doesn't have to help with dinner dishes"). Learn some different poker games and switch it up - there's Texas Hold'Em, Omaha, Draw Poker, 7 Card Stud, 7 Card Stud 'Roll Your Own', Draw with one-eyed Jacks Wild, Kinds and Little Ones, MacIntosh, Eight in the Gate, Follow the Queen.

-If you're both musical: have a jam session. Trade instruments and give eachother a short lesson in how to play it.

-Art party, if you have the supplies.

-Make a batch of limoncello or other cordial (again, not that hard or expensive. It just takes a while to age properly, but the initial few steps can be fun to do as a pair, and then you have liqueur to give away or serve to friends.)

-Closer to the December holidays, make decorations together. I guess you could do this around Independence Day, as well.

-Put on some classic r&b (Marvin Gaye etc) and dance in the living room (closer to when you're ready to retire for the night).

-Pick the night of a meteor shower and find a good spot nearby to set up lawn chairs and watch.

-In the summer time, turn the a/c off, open up the windows, turn the lights low, and just listen to the sounds of summer.

Last edited by Mimidae; 06-26-2018 at 07:25 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 07:13 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
Move the sofa(s), put on You Tube tutorial for dance lessons. Tons of fun if you're into trying some new dance steps.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:15 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
all of the above ... naked
I don't think the OP is talking about getting naked

Old 06-26-2018, 07:28 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
Most of my above suggestions work better if you have a comfortable abode, and some work only for the suburbs, but if you live in cramped apartment in a city, I'd suggest:

-find a 'free movie in the park' nearby
-find a street festival or block party nearby
-walk to a neighborhood pub that has a cheap late-night happy hour
-Shakespeare in the park, or free music in the park, if your city does it
-make your way to your city's harbor/waterfront area, if it has one, to stroll around and watch the lights of the boats going by

Old 06-26-2018, 07:29 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Move the sofa(s), put on You Tube tutorial for dance lessons. Tons of fun if you're into trying some new dance steps.
Slow dancing to your favorite tunes.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:15 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,613 times
I also recommend not indulging in alcohol every time you get together. It can get habit forming and also lead to fights, violence, etc. Not recommended.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:30 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Cook a meal together, watch a movie, and lay in a hammock.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:34 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
....my husband and I have a date night once a week at home....

We are in our 60's, btw....
That's a goal to strive for. Glad to hear nice stories on here for a change.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:33 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,087 times
4 liter jug of Carlo Rossi sangria, DVD of 9 1/2 Weeks, and a box of jet black condoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships