Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:21 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times

Advertisements

There's this guy on POF, pretty long time regular on their message boards. He's actually in great shape, pretty buff, obviously lifts and well-written. (doesn't look overly muscular if some ladies don't like that, he's not built that way).

He rarely gets responses and attributes it to his facial appearance not getting him the ladies, also, his height doesn't help him...hes' 5'4".

Apparently, "lifting" isn't getting interests either, so he did an experiment...he cut his head off in the profile thumbnail. So that way you'd see a nicely well buff dude, without his head.

Meaning, if you click on the profile you'll see the full deal of pics, including his face/head.

He decided to go headless in his thumbnail pic, so that would garner more clicks, so they could see his face later in the main profile. He said after doing this experiment that he'd gathered up hundreds of unsolicited views over the past few months than the 10 years he's been on the dating site.

So basically, head without hardly ANY views, vs no head= hundreds.

He figured this to be some kind of "curiosity killed the cat" scenario here.

"oooh, muscles...*click*...eew...face!"

So, is it true? Do ladies care more about a face than an athletic body?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 07:22 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
I would only assume some woman do and some dont. Much like men, when it comes to women's dating profiles.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:25 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Is this someone you know personally, or have you been looking and chatting with male profiles?

The obvious answer of course, is that when someone posts a photo with the head/face obscured or cut off, any normal person will click through to the other photos see the missing piece of the puzzle. I'm surprised you and your new friend didn't think that through.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:27 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
There's this guy on POF, pretty long time regular on their message boards. He's actually in great shape, pretty buff, obviously lifts and well-written. (doesn't look overly muscular if some ladies don't like that, he's not built that way).

He rarely gets responses and attributes it to his facial appearance not getting him the ladies, also, his height doesn't help him...hes' 5'4".

Apparently, "lifting" isn't getting interests either, so he did an experiment...he cut his head off in the profile thumbnail. So that way you'd see a nicely well buff dude, without his head.

Meaning, if you click on the profile you'll see the full deal of pics, including his face/head.

He decided to go headless in his thumbnail pic, so that would garner more clicks, so they could see his face later in the main profile. He said after doing this experiment that he'd gathered up hundreds of unsolicited views over the past few months than the 10 years he's been on the dating site.

So basically, head without hardly ANY views, vs no head= hundreds.

He figured this to be some kind of "curiosity killed the cat" scenario here.

"oooh, muscles...*click*...eew...face!"

So, is it true? Do ladies care more about a face than an athletic body?
I care more about the face, yes.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:28 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
If just getting more curiosity clicks to view the rest turns him on, have at it.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:30 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Is this someone you know personally, or have you been looking and chatting with male profiles?

The obvious answer of course, is that when someone posts a photo with the head/face obscured or cut off, any normal person will click through to the other photos see the missing piece of the puzzle. I'm surprised you and your new friend didn't think that through.

I figure it was the OP. He comes off in "many" of his threads/posts that hes insecure about his height/looks.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:18 AM

777 posts, read 452,614 times
I may have looked at profiles that didn't contain a clear face shot, but never contacted one.

It's actually against the rules at POF to have a main profile picture in which the face isn't visible, or at least it was when I was on there last year.

The way I see it, someone who lacks the intestinal fortitude to put their face up there isn't someone who is worth my time. I also figure there's a good chance they're married or otherwise attached and are hiding their face for a reason.

Next.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:24 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
I may have looked at profiles that didn't contain a clear face shot, but never contacted one.

It's actually against the rules at POF to have a main profile picture in which the face isn't visible, or at least it was when I was on there last year.

The way I see it, someone who lacks the intestinal fortitude to put their face up there isn't someone who is worth my time. I also figure there's a good chance they're married or otherwise attached and are hiding their face for a reason.

Next.
Actually, I said he does have his full face in his main profile pic, its just went he appears in the browsing gallery his head is cut off. You can set it up so the thumbnail can crop out areas.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:26 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

This. OP, you and some of the other guys out there in OLD-land, like the guy you're describing, are so obsessed with the idea that women are superficial, or women only go for men with this or that quality, etc. etc., that you're unable to see the obvious. You're ascribing various ulterior motives to women, to support your own biases, when in fact, in this case, it's a simple matter of people wanting to see the complete picture, when initially offered a weird photo of a headless guy. That, in itself, is bizarre--posting a headless photo. Y'all are a little off-kilter. Just a little, haha.

You set up a Rorschach test, and failed your own test, lol.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:28 AM

777 posts, read 452,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Actually, I said he does have his full face in his main profile pic, its just went he appears in the browsing gallery his head is cut off. You can set it up so the thumbnail can crop out areas.
I see...

Still, not a fan of the shirtless pics anyway. Wouldn't be a dealbreaker if it was a beach scene or something, but as a rule, I found the gym and bathroom selfies a little too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships