Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 03:52 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,097,286 times

Advertisements

Im posting this here to raise awareness. Im not trying to scare anyone, but people need to consider the safety aspect of dating apps.

This is not about a particular relationship, but about a method many people enjoy using to find a romantic relationship. In the end, regardless of how you go about meeting new people, you never know what type of person they are until you get to know them.

One thing people like about dating apps and social media is that it makes date shopping easier, and broadens their range from just the people they will encounter on a daily basis outside their homes, schools and workplaces.

Sadly, sometimes getting to know someone can be dangerous, and even deadly. Dating apps. also make things easier for predators.

Man who killed nurse linked to Brooklyn rape

This guy has victims on both coasts of the US.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 07-27-2018 at 04:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 06:07 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,712,095 times
That's pretty scary. You could run a background check on someone before you date them, but even then, you still can't always predict early on when someone is going to "snap" on you. What if you're their first victim?

Old 07-27-2018, 06:11 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,897,609 times
I don't recall hearing Ed Gein used a dating app and he probably wouldn't have used one if it was available to him.

I didn't meet my ex-husband through a dating app, if it were available at the time I definitely would have had second thoughts had I gotten to know more details about him, before he persuaded me with his charm in person! He was awful at communication actually, so it probably wouldn't have even started.

Dating app/real life, one isn't worse/better than the other. Trust your your instincts.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:58 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,662,858 times
I've never felt unsafe while using a dating app.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:35 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,260 posts, read 4,364,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I don't recall hearing Ed Gein used a dating app and he probably wouldn't have used one if it was available to him.

I didn't meet my ex-husband through a dating app, if it were available at the time I definitely would have had second thoughts had I gotten to know more details about him, before he persuaded me with his charm in person! He was awful at communication actually, so it probably wouldn't have even started.

Dating app/real life, one isn't worse/better than the other. Trust your your instincts.
This is right on. Common sense is paramount along with taking precautions when dating regardless if you meet online or in a bar.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:21 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,522,996 times
Dating apps are generally safe, because most people probably don’t meet anyone from them, anyway.

The elephant in the room is something the FBI already notes in their crime statistics. Neither the perp or his victims were Caucasian.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:42 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,662,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Dating apps are generally safe, because most people probably don’t meet anyone from them, anyway.

The elephant in the room is something the FBI already notes in their crime statistics. Neither the perp or his victims were Caucasian.
So what are you saying? Caucasians don’t have to worry about meeting criminals on dating apps?

Old 07-27-2018, 12:22 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,897,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
So what are you saying? Caucasians don’t have to worry about meeting criminals on dating apps?
I think he's trying to say, Caucasians are elephants...so vis a vis, good memory. NO, I know: likes peanuts.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:52 PM

26,706 posts, read 41,862,320 times
Part of the human experience is realizing that nothing is completely safe and realizing you aren’t getting out of the human experience alive anyway. Dating apps, I know I’m taking a risk of getting set up or okie-doled but I’ll use them since that has been the most successful way of me getting dates.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:58 PM

102,311 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Is life safe? Nobody gets out of it alive, so....

But yes, meeting strangers has risks. Should we go back to being set up by our parents, or matchmakers who know their clients well? The problem with that is, even parents, or whoever, don't always know that the accomplished son of the neighbors down the street is secretly a serial rapist or pedophile.

Nobody ever said any kind of dating was safe, did they? I guess it never hurts to remind people to be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships