Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 05:45 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about Bumble. Accusations of being anti women used to be quick here when someone pointed out the hypocrisy of employing gender discrimination to further gender equity. As I said earlier, I'll play along for a week. I bought this boost that shows all the women who swiped right but still haven't contacted; so I can't even say thank you for visiting or anything. Man muzzle.
I've never seen any discrimination or reverse discrimination policy help any inequality. Also, I don't much like the concept many women have that prevents them from contacting men first. However that is a social problem, not an online dating problem per se.

I did get contacted today by a woman but she was almost 100 miles away. I recently broke up, I'm TOTALLY over her, but I just can't get up the enthusiasm to start pounding out messages again. It seems like just so much work. It would be nice to get a little help from the distaff side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Some guys would rather sit back and let the women message them first. You don’t need to do anything except relax and let the women come to you!
This wouldn't work for me, and in any case I'd prefer 50/50, without gender bias. I'm average looking or maybe just a smidgen better, I have professional writing experience + done my research and I'm confident my profile is pretty good. A good profile should have about a dozen pictures, and mine does.

Maybe I should use the fake profile picture I have here at CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 05:54 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I never heard of it outside of CD but now that is explained, I wouldn't be a member of a sexist site that treats genders differently. I wonder if that is discriminatory in a legal sense.

Obviously the site is not aimed at my demographic and I won't need to consider joining.

24 hours is overly pushy. I've been sick the last week and haven't sent any messages at all, I don't feel creative and don't want to send lame messages.

Everybody should have the power to do whatever they want. You get results according to how much effort you put into it.

I don't like that men are always expected to initiate contact, but on the other hand I'm annoyed with lame profiles that have maybe one picture and a few words. I recently saw one with about three words, obviously not even a complete sentence. Women like that probably think the site doesn't work very well. They probably get mostly men who follow the "hit everything" method.

Of course it isn't discrimination. Good heavens, that's thrown around as much as free speech by people that don't understand the concept. These are private companies that have a business model we opt into using or not. They're not government. They're not receiving government funds or government licensing.

And if you've been too sick to write anyone, you're too sick to be swiping. The quick turn around keeps things fresh and is for people who are actually engaged. If a person is writing me on other sites every 3 days I'm not talking to them, as they're not serious and not about making connections and dating a priority. Bumble avoids that.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:32 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Bumble avoids that.
I'll vote with my feet.

And thanks, I'm feeling better. It was food poisoning. I have two previously dated women who want to see me again, and I'll probably resume my messaging tomorrow.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:44 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times
I already know I'm no Brad Pitt, so I didn't need any more supporting evidence. But I am a bit curious, in your (i.e. anyone reading this) experience, how many women were in your match queue within the first day or so on the app? I don't wanna be like that poor guy who comes around here every two or three months proclaiming how ugly he is, but I am starting to wonder...……

Old 08-01-2018, 02:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about Bumble. Accusations of being anti women used to be quick here when someone pointed out the hypocrisy of employing gender discrimination to further gender equity. As I said earlier, I'll play along for a week. I bought this boost that shows all the women who swiped right but still haven't contacted; so I can't even say thank you for visiting or anything. Man muzzle.
1. Bumble isn't the only game in town. There isn't an online dating monopoly. If you don't like the parameters, you don't join. Same with J-Date. This is an opt-in service and there are many alternatives. How is this discriminatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Some guys would rather sit back and let the women message them first. You don’t need to do anything except relax and let the women come to you! However, this also means that you will have to “settle” for the women who contact you, so hopefully you are only swiping right on women who you would actually be interested in talking to. I’ve messaged men on Bumble and received no response back, so obviously some men are just swiping right on women with no intentions of talking to them (just like on Tinder!). Bumble is not some perfect app where everyone is so serious about communicating with their matches and finding a relationship. If a person is flaky/only looking for hookups on Tinder, then they don’t suddenly become a totally different person just because they’re on Bumble.
Yup, lots of non replies and quick unmatches. I think some people, just like on Tinder, swipe on everyone and then ignore.

Also if you aren't a regular user, you do not know you were messaged so stuff expires too.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
1. Bumble isn't the only game in town. There isn't an online dating monopoly. If you don't like the parameters, you don't join. How is this discriminatory?
I guess you can say the same about prospective employers, certainly are a lot of them.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I already know I'm no Brad Pitt, so I didn't need any more supporting evidence. But I am a bit curious, in your (i.e. anyone reading this) experience, how many women were in your match queue within the first day or so on the app? I don't wanna be like that poor guy who comes around here every two or three months proclaiming how ugly he is, but I am starting to wonder...……
For a few weeks I was getting access to Bumble premium. I scanned the people who liked me, and it was odd. These are people that honestly didn't even remotely look like any person who has ever dated or hit on me ever in my life. (And I am not saying they were unattractive, but just really opposite types.) I saw a huge array of bearded/tatted hipsters. Way younger. Video game nerds. People in heavy metal t-shirts. It was quite bizarre.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I guess you can say the same about prospective employers, certainly are a lot of them.
Employment discrimination isn't the same. Online dating isn't required to live, and doesn't get government money to operate.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
For a few weeks I was getting access to Bumble premium. I scanned the people who liked me, and it was odd. These are people that honestly didn't even remotely look like any person who has ever dated or hit on me ever in my life. (And I am not saying they were unattractive, but just really opposite types.) I saw a huge array of bearded/tatted hipsters. Way younger. Video game nerds. People in heavy metal t-shirts. It was quite bizarre.
Thanks for the info. I was just concerned that I only had 5 or 6 (that I can see with Bumble Boost). I was just thinking of the thousands of left swipes and just 6 right ones.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:07 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Yeah, you never know who might be interested, Jade. The guy I’m meeting up with this week has lots of tattoos (I don’t have any). That’s not usually what I go for, but he seems like a nice guy so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships