Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 12:32 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm more perplexed that there are high school seniors using OLD than anything else.

Pure speculation on my part, but I am willing to bet a lot of those 18-year-olds are bots/have scammers on the other end of the keyboard. I say this from what I experienced in my online dating days (years ago).

Which brings me to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post

The men's side is even more of a paradox for me. To be desirable by this study's definition, if I understand it correctly, you need to be contacted by a fairly high # of people and some or many of them need themselves to be contacted frequently. So with women's desirability peaking at 18, for that 50 year old guy to be desirable a decent % of much younger women need to be contacting him. More 18-25 year old women would need to be contacting him than are contacting 30 or 35 year old men. And that's a stretch. Most 25 year old women, I would think, are interested in 25 year old men, give or take a few years. So the results seem weird in that regard.

And yes, bringing this up at all is kind of a dick move.

If what I suspect is correct, and most of those 18-year-olds and such are scammers, they will be contacting delusional men and that includes 50-year-old men. Scammers pick pictures of models or near models and love to advertise "barely legal." And there are a lot of them in online dating. They target people who might be smitten by a pretty face and have money. That would be men who are 40+ and at 50, a lot are at the peak of their careers and making the more money than they ever have.

Food for thought.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:44 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Pure speculation on my part, but I am willing to bet a lot of those 18-year-olds are bots/have scammers on the other end of the keyboard. I say this from what I experienced in my online dating days (years ago).

Which brings me to this:

If what I suspect is correct, and most of those 18-year-olds and such are scammers, they will be contacting delusional men and that includes 50-year-old men. Scammers pick pictures of models or near models and love to advertise "barely legal." And there are a lot of them in online dating. They target people who might be smitten by a pretty face and have money. That would be men who are 40+ and at 50, a lot are at the peak of their careers and making the more money than they ever have.

Food for thought.
I think you're absolutely right, especially in view of the fact that it was a free site that ran the study. (An obvious hint about "fishing" was posted earlier in the thread, to identify the site.) This is a super-cautionary tale about believing "science" that comes from OLD site analytics.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post

Which brings me to this:

Food for thought.
Wow, good points. Also, bots will, overall, be WAY hotter than the average perwon, hence they will draw the eye.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:17 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Wow, good points. Also, bots will, overall, be WAY hotter than the average perwon, hence they will draw the eye.
Yeah, pretty sharp canary, huh! Who IS that masked Blue Canary, anyway? .

Old 08-10-2018, 01:40 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Hate to break it to you guys, but my 16 year old son has told me that tons of kids in his high school are using OLD sites, just lying about their ages. It is becoming downright common. He created a profile himself at one point to see what it was like, I yelled at him for it but he said he'd already deleted it (I effing hope so.) Of course...he LOOKS like a kid, so I can't imagine he would get much luck connecting with anybody there. He sure can't pass for 50.

Might wanna check ID if you date the young 'uns. Just saying.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:55 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Hate to break it to you guys, but my 16 year old son has told me that tons of kids in his high school are using OLD sites, just lying about their ages. It is becoming downright common. He created a profile himself at one point to see what it was like, I yelled at him for it but he said he'd already deleted it (I effing hope so.) Of course...he LOOKS like a kid, so I can't imagine he would get much luck connecting with anybody there. He sure can't pass for 50.

Okay. (shrug) I know none, have two teenagers here. And three early 20something nieces/nephews. Also a circle of "due in Julys" - we have known eachother since we were all pregnant years ago, their non special-needs, dating kids are now 15 or about to turn 15 - we are a group of 30 mothers from all over the country - and I am 100% sure none of them lie to get onto OLD either, or their older friends in school.

The kids are all just hooked up with one another and everybody's always at someone else's party, unless they're loners/more quiet.

You're not "breaking" anything to us. You're just presenting an unusual situation. Now kids lying to get into clubs or buy alcohol? THAT'S nothing unusual. Teens fighting to get onto OLD with the old grannies and grampas? No...I'm sorry. That may be a trend where you are, I won't discount your situation but it's unusual.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:01 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times
Quote:
Hate to break it to you guys, but my 16 year old son has told me that tons of kids in his high school are using OLD sites, just lying about their ages. It is becoming downright common.
I can imagine more 16-18 y/o girls would use OLD in hopes of dating an older college-type guy just for the greater odds of him having a car or living on his own. Maybe even someone in his early twenties just because the male has more freedom and money which most high school guys their age don't have.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:02 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
After this morning's drubbing I think this topic is pretty much cooked.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:45 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

I would hope adults are already filtering out ages like that anyway. I don't even see people below 35.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:58 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I would hope adults are already filtering out ages like that anyway. I don't even see people below 35.
Woah, this reminded me of some of the guys I saw on POF back when I was doing online dating. I don't know if they have changed things since, but back then when you looked at a profile you would see all their filters at the bottom of the page. When I would see a guy pushing fifty, and his age filter was 18-35, I would literally laugh out loud and skip over him, even though I was in his age range. If an old coot actually thinks it's appropriate for him to date an 18 year old, we are so not compatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships