Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 01:56 PM

42 posts, read 20,241 times

Advertisements

I feel that it would be difficult to separate personal and professional life. Professional life can be very stressful and taxing causing people to act differently and if that is your spouse it would be difficult to separate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 01:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothis15 View Post
I feel that it would be difficult to separate personal and professional life. Professional life can be very stressful and taxing causing people to act differently and if that is your spouse it would be difficult to separate that.
It really depends on the people and the industry.

It depends on the power structure at the workplace and on your financial security at home, i.e. having both paychecks coming from the same source.

The bottom line, though, is that your relationship has to be strong and honest for there to even be a chance.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:03 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,426,236 times
It can be a lot for some people - it can feel suffocating to have no time at all away from a spouse - so if you work together I'd expect each to spend more "leisure" time doing my own thing. One way or another, most couples need space from each other - it's healthy.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:22 PM

11,817 posts, read 12,066,162 times
This is quite a departure from your other thread. If you're a student, why would you be asking this type of question?

Old 12-02-2018, 02:37 PM

10,505 posts, read 7,074,717 times
Quote:

My wife worked for my business for several years.

Like just about any relationship question, it's really all about the maturity of the two partners in the marriage. If you both act without consideration of the other, then it will bomb miserably.

We have a couple of standing rules when we worked together. First, we didn't mix home life with the business lift. Second, if I made a decision as the boss, then she had to act as if she were any other employee. Having worked for a husband/wife team early in my marriage, I knew how stressful it could be on the employees if they didn't know what the boundaries were.

Final rule? Once we left the office, we avoided talking about work. Best rule of all. Otherwise, it was as if we never left the office.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:40 PM

42 posts, read 20,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
This is quite a departure from your other thread. If you're a student, why would you be asking this type of question?
Essentially we are working too since we do rotations in the hospital and are learning/working

Old 12-02-2018, 03:00 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,979,777 times
Quote:
That’s tough to say.

Either you are close best friends or you will end very soon.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
Quote:
Essentially we are working too since we do rotations in the hospital and are learning/working
But you aren't married, and you don't live together, so it's really not the same situation.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:57 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,354,131 times
I would only work with a spouse if self-employment were the factor. I find that spouses who own their own business would get on better, as the common denominator would be making the business lucrative. Not to say that you'll both always be on the same page all the time, but you'll both learn that there's give and take.

Yet as another poster said, once the work day is over, you forget about work!

Old 12-03-2018, 02:18 AM

61,919 posts, read 87,491,180 times
Many restaurant and small business owners work together with their spouse. Does being with each other 24/7 works? It wouldn't be a perfect situation for me, but some people are fine with it. Probably easier if they have some separate interests outside the work, and are able to be apart for whatever time they need it.
Two strong characters perhaps have more difficulties than when one is a "leader" and another a "follower".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships