Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:59 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,159 times

Advertisements

I do have a few friends (they're a group of 3 best friends) and two of them wound up each dating the third one's sister over a decade apart. It's funny because both of them kind of look alike and act almost exactly alike, so it's fitting that she'd go out with both of them. Though, they were also best friends for years before either of them started dating the sister of the third one. They became best friends when they were like 5 years old, then when the first one dated the sister they were late teens. And the other friend dated her when he was late 20's. She just had a brief fling with one of the friend's, but the other friend went with her for years and got serious with her and everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 12:32 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Stay away from your social circles, and stick to dating strangers?

Well if you are introduced to someone you do not know through a friend, is that person even in your social circle to begin with? Seems to me you would have know them already. If you don't then the potential repercussions will be limited because you probably will not see them very much should things not work out.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:12 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I do have a few friends (they're a group of 3 best friends) and two of them wound up each dating the third one's sister over a decade apart. It's funny because both of them kind of look alike and act almost exactly alike, so it's fitting that she'd go out with both of them. Though, they were also best friends for years before either of them started dating the sister of the third one. They became best friends when they were like 5 years old, then when the first one dated the sister they were late teens. And the other friend dated her when he was late 20's. She just had a brief fling with one of the friend's, but the other friend went with her for years and got serious with her and everything.
I have a friend who ended up marrying her sister’s husband’s brother. I think she was originally with someone else when her sister and BIL got together, but he had some issues. She and the BIL’s brother were a much better match.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:26 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post

Anyways, that said. What's your view?

1. Dating in your social circles good or bad?
2. Do you stay away from your social ties, and prefer dating complete strangers?

I'll do either.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:22 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,961 times
Expected interaction with some of my social circle at tomorrow's Christmas get together. Pray for me.

'How's your year been?'
'Pretty ordinary, as it goes.' (Health issues, study dead ends, so on, so forth, et cetera.)
'Ohhhh... never mind. Come and meet my friend _____. I think you two would really hit it off.'

Pleasant but quite pointless chit chat follows. I'm not going to take this any further and nor is the friend whose name I've already forgotten if I ever knew it.

Two weeks later my phone rings.

Hey it's me. Did you ever call ____?'
'Was I supposed to? Who do they work for?'
'I'm trying to help you out here. You've been single too long.'
'If I'm still breathing, then no, I haven't.'
'Fine. Die alone.'
'That's the plan. Happy new year.'

Old 12-07-2018, 06:38 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post

1. Dating in your social circles good or bad?
It wasn't on my radar. The vast majority of folks in my social circle are married/in LTR or recently divorced. But my social circles were initially formed online and my closest friends live all over the globe. I've lived in several different places, so my social circle is not constant, and even the local people I know through my husband are married.

Online made the most sense when it came to meeting my people.

Quote:
2. Do you stay away from your social ties, and prefer dating complete strangers?
They're mostly women and mostly married or coupled up. Their social circle is much the same. At this stage in life, that's just the norm, especially where I've lived and the circles I run in.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:51 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,345,409 times
Some people date outside and inside social circles. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. I know dating within your circle runs the risk of awkwardness when it doesn't work out. Then dating a stranger can result in disappearing acts so to speak or drama because of a new element (often times, there are romantic feelings involved in a social circle for one thing and then a stranger comes in... what could happen.

Either way is a risk and I have to do a self assessment of the type of disappointment I can handle.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:25 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
When a person asks someone in the circle out it makes it uncomfortable for that person. They may never return and the asker will probably drive others away by asking them out. People socialize together to relax and have fun. They don't want to be hit on. It makes the asker look desperate and socially clueless. People have to quit being wusses and being afraid to approach a stranger.

Don't date friends, neighbors, or coworkers.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:35 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,034,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
When a person asks someone in the circle out it makes it uncomfortable for that person. They may never return and the asker will probably drive others away by asking them out. People socialize together to relax and have fun. They don't want to be hit on. It makes the asker look desperate and socially clueless. People have to quit being wusses and being afraid to approach a stranger.

You mean there's NEVER a situation where you would ask someone out in your social circle? No matter how well you've gotten know them during your time with them?

Old 12-08-2018, 07:31 AM

3,645 posts, read 1,600,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

Hitting on strangers can look just as desperate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships