Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 02:53 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,059,508 times

Advertisements

Yes. Same age gap. We’ve been happily married 28 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 08:38 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
My late husband was 20 years older than me and it wasn't a problem until he was in his 60's and I was still in my 40's. He was slowing down in a lot of ways and was starting to have health issues and I was at a different place in my life and he just started looking old in my eyes. We stayed together until he died at 75 leaving me a widow at 55. If I had to do it again I would have chose differently although there were other issues unrelated to age in our case.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:11 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,178 times
I'm jelly of you . I would love to date women in their 20s

Old 03-19-2019, 12:04 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,614,686 times
My first thought it heck yes it could work. The only issue might be if it became serious, does she have kids? If not, does she want kids? And are you willing to have kids??

Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 PM

880 posts, read 531,395 times
Bf is 15yrs older than I am. Its working out well, he will retire before I do, and there's a high chance I will have to take care of him at some stage, all these things I am aware of, any other issues that may rise (or not...lmao) they make a pill for, so I'm happy.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:33 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonhtr View Post
There is a 28 year old woman at the gym I go to that I have been talking to quite a bit, at first it was just small talk but after awhile she started flirting with me and we began having longer more in depth conversations, I asked her out on a date and we had a good time but just the one. We text each other quite a bit and I am wondering if you think I am being foolish or do you think it could work?

We so far get along great and have asked her out again, this time we're going bowling.
It can work, but I'd say the odds are against it.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:01 PM

577 posts, read 493,472 times
My wife was 47 and I was 38 when we married 28 years ago. She had two grown sons at the time. I now have to live with a decision that I made 28 years ago, where there was NO way at the time to foresee the future for me.

I made the decision when I married her, to never have children as she already had a hysterectomy. (too old anyway to bear children to be honest anyway, without risk to the child) A huge mistake I made.

And when I married her, my whole family knew I was making a mistake and still accepted her. But we found both of us being shoved slowly over the years, to the outside of my close family circle.

I love my wife dearly, and we were talking the other day about this topic, as she is now 75 and I am 66. My wife told me that if we had it to do over again, she would not have married me.

She said that she feels guilty now, because with her gray hair and face of wrinkles and sagging skin, she really looks and feels much older than I do. She is afraid that someone when we go out together will say to her, " Oh, will your son be dining with you " ?

And, she knows that I really messed up not having my own children. She told me that she will die before me, (she has emphysema) and she grieves now that I have no children to watch over me. Like she has been doing for 28 years now.

But our strong love for each other puts all of the above aside every day and we are happy. But whenever a man marries a much older woman, they have to think what life will be like 25-35 years from now for them.

All JMO

Old 03-19-2019, 06:01 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonhtr View Post
Thanks, I really like her and find we surprisingly have a lot in common. And at my age, I am not going to deny that unlike a lot of women my age I find it nice that she doesn't have a lot of baggage and is a very pretty woman.

Do beware of "Baby Rabies" in her 30's, though. I'm not saying it hits every gal, but, it hits a lot of them.

Just sayin'.

For it to keep on working long term, you are going to have to stay in shape, given that you met at the gym, that bodes well.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:22 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
17 years is pushing it but it can work until you start to age/go down hill and she is still young. Honey, do not take your love to town....

Old 03-19-2019, 06:40 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,450,813 times
Yes it can, you just may have to work at it more but don't let anyone on the internet opinion hinder your desire to get to know her better should you continue to build good relations.

I do know of a few friends (I don't see them as frequently because they have families) who have found life partners with that much of a chronological age difference but whom are very compatible values beliefs etc...

You need to examine the relationship at a few different levels based on what you both may want out of it. If the intent is made clear up front, go with the flow and see where it leads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships