Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 09:37 PM

6,842 posts, read 11,604,729 times

Advertisements

I’ve been on C-D for almost ten years. I haven’t given this many rep points on a single thread, EVER.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:41 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,035,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Sometimes sarcasm is lost on the pure of heart.

Then Birdie SHOULD have picked up on it!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-28-2019, 10:51 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,795,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Sometimes sarcasm is lost on the pure of heart.

I was dying. Am I going to hell?

This was my fave:
Quote:
It sucks Bro, but you have got to spend even more cash on the shorties to keep them around these days. Now is the time to start acting on those long held plans to grow and expand your Ice Cream truck business. Making a few bucks here and there going over your current route ain’t gonna fly no more...you need to get aggressive and take that truck over by the new mall and go head-to-head against that Baskins that’s doing really well. Maybe even get a new and bigger truck once the money’s flowin...mix up the truck music a bit too.

Old 03-29-2019, 01:36 AM

42 posts, read 28,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
So, what if you met a woman who looked younger and she turned out to be your age? How would you feel about that? Considering that you only want "young attractive" women? I mean, if age doesn't matter and people shouldn't be judged by a number,
First thing i wouldnt ask. If there is one thing i learned from that story, then that some people (also women who might be over 30) might feel uncomfortable by the question about age. I learned to respect it when women dont want to reveal their age, just as i dont ask for the number of ex-boyfriends.

Ok, but lets assume a women looks like 22 (also without makeup), smells like 22, behaves like 22 but the number on her ID-card is 35. So what? I am not the one who considers a number to be something harmful by itself. Ok, maybe i would be interested in knowing her secret, e.g. how she does ist, but i wouldnt use the number against her.

But the way i see it is this:
- Having finished university and having a job is an advantage. A smaller age gap is not really relevant for me, but she and society would more likely accept it probably.

- Disadvantages are other things that can come with age: Bringing kids from other relationships, previous marriages, having less energy, overweight or a less sexy body, having other interests.

But its not the number.

Quote:
then what's the problem with dating at your own age?
Its not a problem to date a woman who is 35 if the is that attractive. But its a problem to be restricted to that age group when most of the fun (e.g. also salsa parties and clubs) is on places with mostly younger women and when most of the attractive and available women are younger. And btw, i am living in a city with a univesity, so most women you meet on evening activities are students. Not considering this age group would be a huge downside.

So basically, what would it mean, to restrict one self to lets say women 35+? It would mean to either avoid activitites with younger people, which are usually activities with the most fun. Or go there, ignore younger, often prettier women (even those who seem interested) and (as you dont see the number) directly go for women who look or behave older, even if both is not that desirable. Some kind of weird strategy.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:44 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,047,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousLookingForAdvice View Post
First thing i wouldnt ask. If there is one thing i learned from that story, then that some people (also women who might be over 30) might feel uncomfortable by the question about age. I learned to respect it when women dont want to reveal their age, just as i dont ask for the number of ex-boyfriends.
Going to have to disagree with you there. Several years ago, I was on OK Cupid. Now on OK Cupid, people tend to lie about their ages, not all, but some have.

I met a woman on there, a very attractive, slender former model, now works in health care. I think she had her age at early 40s or something. Anyways, we were around the same age she stated her's at.

We got to talking on the phone, she said, "I am not the stated age in the dating profile". I said, "okay, Ill bite, how old are you then?"

And she gave me the cliche'd, "A woman never tells her age" or "It's rude to ask a woman her age".

I said, "Well, you know MY age, so it's only fair, right?"

She wouldn't budge.

You know what, I figured I"d take the high road and go along with it, because...I would find out later anyhow. I mean, if you're dating someone, they'll eventually tell you their basic info right? It's pretty much a requisite.

After about 2 dates, I asked her age again. ANd guess what, she STILL would not tell me. She asked why it's so important to me, and I said, "WEll, 1, you know MY age, so it's only fair you tell me yours and 2. It makes me feel you're not an honest person, that you have something to hide"

She lamented how in her early 20s, as she started to age, that in the modeling industry, she kept it under wraps from modeling gigs. She lied about it in fact, to keep getting gigs. So she was already deeply entrenched in her vanity till this day.

She ghosted on me after that.

Some people gave me flak about making a big deal out of it and passing up on a "good thing". But honestly, this can lead to other lies , some of omission.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:16 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,719,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousLookingForAdvice View Post

Ok, but lets assume a women looks like 22 (also without makeup), smells like 22, behaves like 22 but the number on her ID-card is 35. So what? I am not the one who considers a number to be something harmful by itself. Ok, maybe i would be interested in knowing her secret, e.g. how she does ist, but i wouldnt use the number against her.

But the way i see it is this:
- Having finished university and having a job is an advantage. A smaller age gap is not really relevant for me, but she and society would more likely accept it probably.

- Disadvantages are other things that can come with age: Bringing kids from other relationships, previous marriages, having less energy, overweight or a less sexy body, having other interests.

But its not the number.

Its not a problem to date a woman who is 35 if the is that attractive. But its a problem to be restricted to that age group when most of the fun (e.g. also salsa parties and clubs) is on places with mostly younger women and when most of the attractive and available women are younger. And btw, i am living in a city with a univesity, so most women you meet on evening activities are students. Not considering this age group would be a huge downside.

So basically, what would it mean, to restrict one self to lets say women 35+? It would mean to either avoid activitites with younger people, which are usually activities with the most fun. Or go there, ignore younger, often prettier women (even those who seem interested) and (as you dont see the number) directly go for women who look or behave older, even if both is not that desirable. Some kind of weird strategy.
OP, no one is saying that you have to go for people who look or behave older, or that you have to restrict yourself to women 35+. The problem that we are having is that you appear to be restricting yourself to activities where a full half of women are still in high school. There is a big range of available women between 22-35 who you can date who are still fun. Quite frankly, I am not sure what high school (or even college) students do that are so much fun. Most have barely any money and they are limited in what they can do. If you get to older folks who actually have careers, there are lots more options in terms of activities you can do.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:29 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,047,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
OP, no one is saying that you have to go for people who look or behave older, or that you have to restrict yourself to women 35+. The problem that we are having is that you appear to be restricting yourself to activities where a full half of women are still in high school. There is a big range of available women between 22-35 who you can date who are still fun. Quite frankly, I am not sure what high school (or even college) students do that are so much fun. Most have barely any money and they are limited in what they can do. If you get to older folks who actually have careers, there are lots more options in terms of activities you can do.
TBH, I can understand what he's getting at. So I can see where he's coming from, but not that I condone it. I know of some older, more active and attractive women, but in their mid-40s and beyond that had complained that most men THEIR age tend to be couch potatoes and unmotivated to get out of the house.

I knew of this one woman that used to date a construction worker that wouldn't leave his couch and watch football games all weekend. She couldn't even get him to take a casual bike ride together. She was athletic, but he had a gut on him. Drink beer and watch the game.

So anyways, she just happened to date men about at the most 10 years younger than herself, because they were aligned by being active. She felt men her age lacked energy.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:44 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,888,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Aren't you a middle-aged woman too though?
Yes I am more of an old bag than middle aged (55).

What's that got to do with anything? Not being snarky, honestly confused.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:08 AM

42 posts, read 28,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Going to have to disagree with you there. Several years ago, I was on OK Cupid. Now on OK Cupid, people tend to lie about their ages, not all, but some have.

I met a woman on there, a very attractive, slender former model, now works in health care. I think she had her age at early 40s or something. Anyways, we were around the same age she stated her's at.
Yes, but online dating is different, because here age is a clear indicator about how attractive somebody is - besides the photoshopped picture of course. If you lie on online dating people will probably expect somebody more attractive.

Its completely different from real life, where you know appearance and behaviour from beginning.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:11 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,361,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I was dying. Am I going to hell?

This was my fave:
Those ice cream truck guys always had it goin on. Getting all up in Baskin's face is trippy advice though. Not sure plaidskirtchaser is ready, but fortune favors the bold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships