Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:30 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,779,315 times

Advertisements

I remember seeing a movie once where Michael Douglas' character said that the person who cares the least in the relationship holds the power.

It's as if he meant that whoever is willing to walk is firmly in control.

Based on your experiences, do you agree, or is that all hogwash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 06:31 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,798,419 times
The one who cares the least is in a position of power because they are not emotionally attached to the outcome.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:32 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,736,137 times
It's bull crap because it's toxic thinking and can ruin a relationship.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:41 AM

9,380 posts, read 7,001,704 times
Power is only held or leveraged if the other party defers or allows it to be.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:15 AM

399 posts, read 221,591 times
It's true but I haven't experienced it. I am only attracted to people I can see as a partner. Submission isn't attractive to me outside the bedroom.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:15 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,448,703 times
Healthy relationships don't involve power struggles.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:28 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 20 days ago)

35,676 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Yes, it's true.

The one who loves the least holds the power.

And that doesn't just have to do with just the willingness to walk out; but all the myriad of little hurts that can happen in a relationship.

Interesting, I just read an article about this in the last week or so, can't remember where.

It stated that very long term marriages tend to be much more successful when it's the woman who loves the least.

When the man loves the least the relationship and indeed the success of the intact family is in peril.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:30 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,050,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
It's bull crap because it's toxic thinking and can ruin a relationship.

I think it IS toxic thinking...but I also think there's truth to the idea.

FIRST of all, the idea that someone has to have the power is toxic. Marriage and good relationships is a partnership, where ideally, each person brings strengths (and weaknesses) to the table, and two people compliment each other.

To think otherwise, is toxic.

And that said...I remember when I was going through a divorce from my first husband, I had said to my mom "The next person I get involved with...I'M going to be the strong one. I'M going to be the one in charge." My mom was like "Oh Sassy! You don't want to go through life like that." But at the time, that is certainly how I felt. But my mom was right. I found out I DIDN'T want to go through life like that.

Turned out...for me, that didn't work out so well. If I can't respect the guy, than I can't be with him for very long. There were various men, and in various ways...I couldn't respect them ultimately. So, for ME, holding all the power wasn't a happy way to be.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:31 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 20 days ago)

35,676 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Healthy relationships don't involve power struggles.
It's not a power struggle.

It's a defined, set, power hierarchy.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:10 AM

20,417 posts, read 14,717,794 times
Hmm... It's usually more complex than that, I think. I mean this "rule" might fly in a relationship that only lasts a very short time. But in a longer one like a marriage? There's gonna be more to it.

Case in point, my marriage, 1997-2015, RIP. I thought I held a lot of power because I cared less. He loved me in a fairly intense way, however...it was a kind of love all wrapped up in his needs and his ego. A clinging, desperate, insecure and unhealthy sort of love. The kind where you can only feel safe if you are doing controlling behaviors. But I always knew that if it ended, it would be because I walked away, and it would be up to me to do. I wasn't emotionally invested enough in him to be hurt by the idea (or the reality, really) of our relationship coming to an end.

But someone in my situation can be leveraged by other factors and forces. Sure, I could have left without heartbreak, and he was never going to do that. But I needed help adulting at first, which he was able to use to leverage my cooperation with a far more serious relationship than I even wanted...and later after we had children, I loved my children more than every other person on the planet combined, including myself and definitely including him. And he could use that to force me to stay, so long as I felt it was "best" for the kids.

There can be a lot more power and control factors at play in a long term connection, than just how each adult in the couple feels about one another.

Now I am in a healthy relationship, and I believe that when you hit that jackpot, where you have both people truly invested, truly in love, and neither is just settling in some apathetic way or leveraged by other factors...they are together because they both legitimately want to be with one another and no one else... I mean, this feels like magic to me, it's the first time I've ever had it. And the only "power" imbalances are the ones we just play with for fun now and then. We don't need to manipulate or control each other to get needs met or to feel secure. It's awesome.

And I'd say that speaks to what others are saying about these power imbalances being toxic. In a really good relationship, you should not be able to even figure out which person loves the other the most or least. The love is mutual, reciprocal, flowing in this sort of infinite feedback loop that nourishes both people emotionally.

The sad part is, there are probably a great many people who never find this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships