Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 09:42 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,468 times

Advertisements

If I was a 50 yo single, divorced guy. I'd tell whatever I'd think a 25 yo woman would wanna hear to climb into that fountain of youth so to speak. He's not looking for stability, he's looking for some fun is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 12:28 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Well, thats awesome. Maybe I can find that now that I'm not having a family. Therefore, I wouldn't be "wasting" 3.5 years or however long and it will be a lot of fun.
Yeah ... probably best not to “waste” 3-1/2 years of the time you have left. I was speaking from the of a POV of a young woman who can relate to the OP. I’ll “get off your lawn” now.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:40 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I see no problem with a mid-twenties person dating someone in their 50s. Terms like "grooming" usually refer to abuse, so they're not appropriate to use in this situation. Two adults being into each other is not abuse, even if there's an age gap.
The 25 year age difference is not presently an issue but in later years it most certainly will become one. Her 45 him 70....her 55 him 80.....think about it.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:24 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Yeah ... probably best not to “waste” 3-1/2 years of the time you have left. I was speaking from the of a POV of a young woman who can relate to the OP. I’ll “get off your lawn” now.
I think that came out wrong. Waste may not be the word. I promise I'm not that grumpy, just frustrated over not having the family I thought I'd have. If I was to the point of acceptance, it certainly wouldn't be a waste, more like an adventure!

Old 06-09-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I think that came out wrong. Waste may not be the word. I promise I'm not that grumpy, just frustrated over not having the family I thought I'd have. If I was to the point of acceptance, it certainly wouldn't be a waste, more like an adventure!
I get it. If you’re looking for Miss Right... someone half your age probably wouldn’t be a good bet. My situation
( and his) was different. He’d been there and had the t-shirt. I had other priorities... and being in a “committed” relationship was pretty far down the list..... way down!

Old 06-09-2019, 02:01 PM

999 posts, read 553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The 25 year age difference is not presently an issue but in later years it most certainly will become one. Her 45 him 70....her 55 him 80.....think about it.
I would never worry about things like that when considering being with someone, but that's just me.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:10 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I would never worry about things like that when considering being with someone, but that's just me.
You are the exception to the rule for sure. I find women have very narrow age ranges. If they're 35, the want 32-38 or something like that. I have no shot (online) and maybe marginally better in person since I look 40ish. Anyway, all that to say its frustrating dating as an older man when you want to date younger (10 years or so).

Old 06-09-2019, 02:38 PM

If I was looking for a long term partner, age would certainly be a major factor. I want kids, but I don’t want to end up wiping the drool off of their chins.. and their dad’s.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjgirl94 View Post
I do like him. I never met a man that I really have so many things in common with. He is so sweet and really really nice. I compliment him back and I smile at him often. Oh and I forgot to mention he sometimes walk up to me to remove some dirt / hair off my clothes, and when he does that I kind of get shy because he gets so close and I think he can sense that
So you like him he obviously likes you. I’m sure you can leave enough hints for him to ask you out.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:58 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjgirl94 View Post
Hi all

This man I met is 50 years old and I'm 25 years old. ... how should I approach him?
You shouldn't. At your age I once had a romance with a man only 16 years older than I was, and in the end it was just sex. Now, if that's what you are looking for, then by all means, but personally my experience was that men my age range were more satisfying in that regard.

If a man that age is looking at women that much younger, I would guess that he has "issues" that a mature woman his own age recognizes that you do not. I know, you're already flaring that you ARE mature, but in 25 more years you will understand exactly what I am saying. (BTW, I am 63.)

I would never advise any one to date outside a ten year range +/- and even then I think a five year span is pushing it. It might work for awhile, but over time both will start wishing the other was closer in age to relate to what each is going through. I am only 2 1/4 years older than my very mature husband, and even with that slight difference it is hard for me to explain to him what I face as I age. I have to wait for him to go through it and then complain to me about it. It can be lonely.

Sure, you think you will be different, and if you do end up in a relationship I hope it works, but over time if it doesn't you will have invested that much more time, and contrary to the popular myth, older women have fewer options than those your age. (Primarily because the older men are hoping to score with that younger woman who doesn't know better.)

Go find yourself an interesting young man your own age, with similar interests, who is ambitious and has good values. You can experience all your life together, relate to what each is going through, and when you are 50 you will have that common history to laugh, cry, and sigh about together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships