Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 01:12 PM

5 posts, read 1,956 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies, certainly some good insight.

I have no problem standing up for myself, it generally takes a lot for me to get upset/angry with someone. If someone you are with has a petpev you try not to do that thing. I generally am pretty accommodating, but like anyone you get to that point where you have had enough and stand up for yourself. I did that the other night, and and I called her on it. Not in an angry tone or confrontational, but basically just called her on it.

Other than this, our relationship is good I feel. We enjoy shared common interests, hobbies etc... but we will see where this relationship might lead. Hopefully we can work through this. Waiting to hear back from her about all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 01:24 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
My first thought was that she needs to learn how to share, so to speak, that everything doesn't get to go her way only. Some people have a hard time learning that a relationship involves two people, not just one, and compromise is important.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:42 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Sorry OP as I walked this path. All your "compromising" will be to appease her. Please don't waste another moment on this relationship. She is going to bring you down and wear the pants.

I recall early on trying to be the 'student'when my guy said I wasn't doing something to his liking. I figured there is more then one way to skin a cat. Then when I would mention a difference in my living habits...such as, can you close the door a bit more gently he took it as an insult.
I caught on real quick where things were headed.

So seriously if the flag is being waved...proceed with caution . I can't imagine being controlled like that then saying....but ohh gosh he is so nice otherwise. Enable much?

Old 06-11-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
My first thought was that she needs to learn how to share, so to speak, that everything doesn't get to go her way only. Some people have a hard time learning that a relationship involves two people, not just one, and compromise is important.

Yes, I think is more along the lines of where she is coming from. She is very much like her mother (which isn't a bad thing) but she and her mother both "wear the pants in the family". She is very independent and organized with things just so. I have been living the bachelor's and I live more care-free, go with the flow type of lifestyle.

The "honey moon" is over and now if we/she see value in this relationship and want to make it, there is some work that needs to be done. We have to find some middle ground to work on.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:49 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprig78 View Post
The "honey moon" is over and now if we/she see value in this relationship and want to make it, there is some work that needs to be done. We have to find some middle ground to work on.
^^^This is a great attitude to have! Good luck!

Old 06-11-2019, 01:51 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Yes, I think is more along the lines of where she is coming from. She is very much like her mother (which isn't a bad thing) but she and her mother both "wear the pants in the family". She is very independent and organized with things just so. I have been living the bachelor's and I live more care-free, go with the flow type of lifestyle.

I really want you to understand that this kind of dynamic really isn't sustainable long term.

Your personalities are completely different, and the way you have described her is not something she really can or will change.

I have personal experience with this. She certainly may agree to adapt for a short time, but she will revert after a while, and if you have children it will become completely intolerable. In fact, there is a very strong chance that she will treat you like a child over time and lose respect for you as a man over time.

I am not trying to be an alarmist or drum up the worst case scenario here. I'm sharing what my life experience has taught me … that people who think their way is the right way do NOT make good partners, and the way you have described yourself is a red flag for a life as a doormat.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:01 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Other than this, our relationship is good I feel. We enjoy shared common interests, hobbies etc... but we will see where this relationship might lead. Hopefully we can work through this. Waiting to hear back from her about all this.
What does this mean? Didn't you have a face-to-face conversation about it? What exactly are you "waiting to hear"?

Old 06-11-2019, 02:08 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
You're in for a boat load of trouble if at 6 months it's already like this.

This just sounds like who she is. I'd decide now if it's tolerable because I imagine it might get worse.

6 months in is supposed to be the lovey dovey everything is new stage, not "walking on eggshells"

Old 06-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Thanks very much, for the advice.

I am not quite ready to call it quits on this relationship yet, but certainly going in with my eyes open based on some of the replies in this thread. Every relationship has rough patches and this is one of them. I am going to have a little chat with her over the next couple days, hopefully we can work through this.

If this type of behavior continues this relationship is finished.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:55 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,008,901 times
Get out now.It will only get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships