Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 07:03 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Some people like to impact the world. It's a pity that it's unusual and that onlookers assume blatant self-interest is the motive. Not my fault that I cannot snap my finger and find a long-married, not-so-religious woman to take the lead. Agitating for more people in marriages is such an obviously good thing that even the two political parties could agree on it (probably via something toothless like a National Marriage License Day).
No, I think you need this for yourself, but you also need a noble cause to be your motivation. Thus spoke goodheathen.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:03 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
But you are unable to see the inherent problems with your crusade?
Doesn't matter whether the public particularly likes it. Change is mostly imposed from above, often in propaganda and sometimes in a series of small, official moves. If I personally had ties to powerful politicians, I'd probably try getting them on board. Maybe someone with connections will see this and do that.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter whether the public particularly likes it. Change is mostly imposed from above, often in propaganda and sometimes in a series of small, official moves. If I personally had ties to powerful politicians, I'd probably try getting them on board. Maybe someone with connections will see this and do that.
OK so you don't see it.

The content of the crusade doesn't really matter. It's the fact that you presume to know what is best for people, everyone in fact, which shows a staggering lack of self-awareness.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:09 PM

1,153 posts, read 567,409 times
Quote:
Dude, what you really need is to be the dictator of your own small island state. Then you could enact all of these policies no problem. Could we do a whip around/ fundraiser to buy goodheathen his own island and he could fill it with unhappy, single men and clearly deluded single women who think they're happy but are just not.

It would be a utopian place that I'm sure many western societies would seek to emulate.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:21 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
OK so you don't see it.

The content of the crusade doesn't really matter. It's the fact that you presume to know what is best for people, everyone in fact, which shows a staggering lack of self-awareness.
I know what's good for most people. Individuals are so bad at knowing what makes them happy that research confirms that. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...appy-23252374/ (a very interesting one, more about action than awareness) https://www.lifehack.org/articles/co...you-happy.html Plus, it's near-certainty that a society that's mostly steadily married is more stable than other societies.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I know what's good for most people. Individuals are so bad at knowing what makes them happy that research confirms that. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...appy-23252374/ (a very interesting one, more about action than awareness) https://www.lifehack.org/articles/co...you-happy.html Plus, it's near-certainty that a society that's mostly steadily married is more stable than other societies.
More links! So it must be true!

Old 07-15-2019, 08:22 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
This entire thread is about a sociologic study; not about romantic relationships. Too bad it was first reported when I was away on vacation. (Thank you, member who reported it again this evening.) The thread has run far too long and has so many ToS violations that it's not even remotely salvageable. Thread closed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.