Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 09:45 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,108,738 times

Advertisements

Single by choice does not exist in goodheathen’s world, though. I wonder if he’s seen a film called The Lobster and allowed an obvious satire to influence his thinking? What’s deemed to be good for the majority is obviously best for everyone regardless of their individual ideas and experiences.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:53 PM

260 posts, read 129,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If someone is single not-by-choice, then it stands to reason they might not be very happy. True for both men and women. If they are single by choice then they are probably happy that way.
There are also those of us who would prefer to be in a relationship, but we are just as happy when we are not, too.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:42 PM

1,593 posts, read 777,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allison7 View Post
There are also those of us who would prefer to be in a relationship, but we are just as happy when we are not, too.
That would be a sweet spot then. Have you had relationships before, particularly bad ones? Is that a factor in your happiness being single? I wonder how prevalent contentedness is in people who’ve never experienced a relationship before.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:22 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,890,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If someone is single not-by-choice, then it stands to reason they might not be very happy. True for both men and women. If they are single by choice then they are probably happy that way.
No, my opinion is they're probably not, that they're content at best and deceiving themselves about not wanting more. Many of them, and many others, are engaging in unhealthy behaviors that are diversions from their unhappier feelings. How many of those happy singles are on anti-depressants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Single by choice does not exist in goodheathen’s world, though. I wonder if he’s seen a film called The Lobster and allowed an obvious satire to influence his thinking? What’s deemed to be good for the majority is obviously best for everyone regardless of their individual ideas and experiences.
Never heard of it and never said marriage is right for everyone. I've been making the case that it's best for society and a clear majority of people.

Last edited by goodheathen; 07-15-2019 at 12:33 AM..

Old 07-15-2019, 01:29 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,874,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
No, my opinion is they're probably not, that they're content at best and deceiving themselves about not wanting more. Many of them, and many others, are engaging in unhealthy behaviors that are diversions from their unhappier feelings.
It’s sad, slightly frightening, and obviously a projection that you would be arrogant enough to think people who are single like you, feel like just like you.

We live vastly different lives, try to picture the universe does not revolve around your experiences.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:14 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,890,033 times
"Projection" is just a negative spin on "common sense"?

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentra...71-2458-12-236

Old 07-15-2019, 03:12 AM

1,112 posts, read 885,777 times
Women are never happy....lol! Blaming “the man” in a marriage? Remember, ladies, YOU chose him! The “signs” were there...

Old 07-15-2019, 03:16 AM

1,112 posts, read 885,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
That would be a sweet spot then. Have you had relationships before, particularly bad ones? Is that a factor in your happiness being single? I wonder how prevalent contentedness is in people who’ve never experienced a relationship before.
Excuse me....who keeps “bad relationships”. That is a choice....I have been happy single as well as happy married...which I am now.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:57 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,205,954 times
Quote:
....Are you swayed at all by my argument? Do you have any other explanations? This is about small differences in happiness, but it does matter if people decide to stay single based on false information. The million-dollar question that research probably can't answer: how does a mediocre marriage affect happiness?
In reference to what I put in bold: I wouldn't base my decision about something this basic to my happiness on "information." Buy a car, a power tool, an appliance...OK, "information," but I doubt that there is any reliable information about this topic for the individual. We are not as limited and stable as something like a blender.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:00 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,874,163 times
Quote:
"Projection" is just a negative spin on "common sense"?

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentra...71-2458-12-236
One can only use common sense when projecting, if they have common sense. Insisting you know better than women -what’s best for them- is not common sense. You have now displayed this, repeatedly. Insisting if you are unhappy single, they must be as well, is projecting. I didn’t intend projecting in itself is always negative. That’s a different sentence altogether. Its not done with common sense, in your case.

I don’t have to read a link to know this, it’s what life and education brings. Reading random unrelated ideas and putting them together to come up with one’s own unsupported hypothesis isn’t common sense.

Just spend this much time and effort in finding a wife for yourself, and it’s pretty much guaranteed you’re not going to be so worried about the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships